Better late than never...gearing up a Leica R kit

dave.gt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, I am crazy.:p

But, I like having a plan to work within and when thinking about Leica photography, I have developed this plan of sorts. Mind you this is a future kit(s) that I am looking into...

Leica R kit using my existing gear (R4 + 50mm Cron) I would like to add:

- R8 Body

- 80mm Summilux

- 35mm Summicron

The R lenses above would complement a Leica M digital kit. Given the cost of a new Leica M, a second body would be too expensive, so must soldier on with the X1.

What is your dream R kit?

Hello Fernando.

Ok I must be more crazy then you.......Lol

I have been using Leica R since 1973 and still today, why because I LOVE THE SYSTEM.

Having both the M and R at most times I will use the R more often as to me it's so much easier to focus

On most subjects especially moving ones.

Now days my first choice is the R8 or R9 but also love the R7.

And when I want to impress people I take the M out as it matches my sports coat so well....Lol.

For my Digital use, I combine my R lenses with a Canon DSLR, But most likely order the M240 soon.

Good Luck.

Ken.

• Like 2

Dave, I think that is an excellent choice. The two focal lengths will cover a lot of subjects (a majority probably). I started with an R9, a 90/2 and a 35/1.4, which is a similar underlying philosophy. But be warned, it's a drug, and it's probably too late already!

• Like 1

I recently bought an R9 and have a wonderful 100/2,8 on it, though am looking for a 90/2 Apo for that extra stop and more compact dimensions vs. my 100/2,8. My MP is perfect with 35mm lenses, so I have no wish to buy one for my R9

Leica has given us so many combinations that it is hard for me to decide. I have been using the R4 for a long time now and have bonded with it as much as I have with the M3. I would like to have an M body with a meter, though.

If I had the cash, an R9 with a DMR would be in my bag, but the R8 maybe with a motor drive is enough. A 35mm? Yes. More money...it really is addicting, isn't it?:p

Oh, and the M240...on my list but I don't even want to think about that right now!;)

Leica has given us so many combinations that it is hard for me to decide. I have been using the R4 for a long time now and have bonded with it as much as I have with the M3. I would like to have an M body with a meter, though.

If I had the cash, an R9 with a DMR would be in my bag, but the R8 maybe with a motor drive is enough. A 35mm? Yes. More money...it really is addicting, isn't it?:p

Oh, and the M240...on my list but I don't even want to think about that right now!;)

After much searching of UK and EU leica dealer websites, I found my R9 at a reputable UK dealer for £700 ($1100), which was nearly half the price of some on e**y.

It's too easy to get carried away when searching for gear: "wow, look at that"! I become sidetracked and have to remind myself of my priorities, unfortunately!

Edited by andyedward

Interesting thread, because I have also been considering an R8 or R9 with a DM-R for a starting point for R glass. Love the files out of DM-R, but not sure there is adequate support for DM-R in the event of a problem... that plus battery availability.

John

Given the lack of DMR support, would the new M be a better option for R glass? I'd wait for reviews on the new M before committing to a purchase of any camera body you decide to mount R glass on. Try Sean Reid for starters

Edited by andyedward

I agree the M-240 would be a better proposition, albeit more expensive. Just need to see how well it works with longer lenses on R-M adapter and how user friendly the combined form factor is with larger lenses (such as R 80-200/4) . Until then, I'll just have to be patient :mad:.

John

I am planning to purchase an M240 but I am also planning to keep at least one R9/DMR. As versatile as the new M will most likely be, there will be times when I may want a traditional R setup.

• Like 1

My "perfect" R-Set looks pretty much like the one that my son's godfather has in his photobag:

Leica R 6.2

Leica R 7

Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/28

Leica Summicron-R 2.0/50

Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/90

Leica Elmarit- R 2.8/180

Leica Vario-Elmar 4/35-70

And perhaps complemented by a 19mm Elmarit.

"Perfect" for me because very good, rather compact and still reasonable priced.

My old set that I had for the R-system was also not too bad and really compact, great for travelling:

Summicron 2/35

Summicron 2/50

Elmar 4/180

But there was definitely some wide angle missing. (The 50 and the 180 are still with me.)

I am planning to purchase an M240 but I am also planning to keep at least one R9/DMR. As versatile as the new M will most likely be, there will be times when I may want a traditional R setup.

Hey, Richard...

You in Atlanta? Cool! How about a meet-up soon?:)

I would also LOVE to see your R9 in person as that DMR rig is my holy grail....

Edited by dave.gt

I'm there with the normal and long (50 Summicron and 90 Elmarit), but trying to decide on a compact and reasonably-priced wide. How do the 35 Summicron and 35 Elmarit compare in IQ?

Ah, yes, I am interested in an answer to this question as well.:)