Pre-order M on 9/18

JackLu123

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I pre-ordered M on 9/18 last year, contacted my dealer today, they said it is very unlikely I am going to get the first shipment?! I am new to Leica, I have been using X2 and I was very happy with it.

I thought pre-order on 9/18, would give me on to the top of the list, apparently not....

Should I have pre-oreder it from a Leica store instead?

I kinda preordered, or asked to be at on the list, for the "next M" a year ago. This at my favorite Leica dealer in Florida. So, now, I am told I am nearly first in line for the new M. Yep, you really have to think ahead if you want to get any new M Leica.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hate to tell you this, but I asked to be put on a list for the "M10" in the summer of 2011. I have been told I am high on this dealer's list. But I am not the first one. I know it would seem like, if you commit the day the camera is announced, you should get yours when the first batch arrives. But the first batch, even for very large dealers, could be two or three cameras. This is, unfortunately, the way things work with a comparatively small company like Leica, producing highly sought after new cameras every three years.

I am sixth on the list at my local dealer. Also, put on the list at BH within three hours after they posted the camera on their site. I hope, I get one or the other fairly soon after Leica starts shipping.

The reality is I will likely pay a significant premium through eBay! That's how I got my Monochrom. When they finely arrive I will keep the dealer units and resell the eBay unit.

I got myself on a waiting list in January 2012 and there were already people ahead of me.

I've learned from the M8, M9, the 35 Summilux ASPH FLE and other Leica product releases that the only way to get a potentially popular Leica item as soon as possible after its release is to get on a wait-list at some dealer as soon as you hear a rumor.

Frankly, you just never know. Dealer pre-order levels vary like the waves in the ocean.

Lou - let's hope Thorsten's post of the other day is right -- that Leica has amassed/is amassing a large batch of Ms so that the initial shipments are voluminous. Fingers crossed. JB

Lou - let's hope Thorsten's post of the other day is right -- that Leica has amassed/is amassing a large batch of Ms so that the initial shipments are voluminous. Fingers crossed. JB

I had placed my preorder the day of being announced and both dealers are expecting fairly large first shipments. I'm number 24 and 7 and both expect to get me on their first shipment without issue.

So lets hope this is true!

I went on my dealer's M list on Oct 18, in 41st spot! They had begun taking orders before the May 10 announcement anticipating an "M10" would be announced.

I'll check with them soon to confirm my interest and see if I need to choose a finish; actually I'm inclined to accept whatever color is available!

I ordered on the day it was announced and am first on the list with my Dealer. he also said he couldn't take pre-orders before that date for a camera that hadn't been announced yet. I know of another dealer where you could register an interest before the camera was announced and then they would contact you to see if you wanted to go on the list which seems fairer to me. Anyway maybe everyone should order now for the the next M or M241 just to be top of the list.

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

There seems to be tremendous enthusiasm to be first on the list for the new M. I am holding back till I have seen a few reviews and the early adopters have done the beta markII testing. My M9 is not quite two years old and I am still learning how to get the best out of it. When I bought it I did not plan to ugrade for several years.

I expect I will get a new M eventually as I really like the idea of live view and an EVF complementing the rangefinder but in the mean time I can do all that with my Leica lenses using my Olympus OM-D M-E5 albeit with a smaller sensor and the resulting x2 crop factor but with the added benefit of image stabilisation.

I ordered on the day it was announced and am first on the list with my Dealer. he also said he couldn't take pre-orders before that date for a camera that hadn't been announced yet. I know of another dealer where you could register an interest before the camera was announced and then they would contact you to see if you wanted to go on the list which seems fairer to me. Anyway maybe everyone should order now for the the next M or M241 just to be top of the list.

Oh good idea i am now top of the list for the next 7 models just put my order in. Then I suspect I will be dead so no need for number 8.

• Like 1

Guest WPalank

I have learned from a very credible source that Leica's plan for the M240 and 50 APO, as far as the US goes, is to ship to Leica Boutiques and Leica Stores first.

• Like 1

Oh good idea i am now top of the list for the next 7 models just put my order in. Then I suspect I will be dead so no need for number 8.

Damn. You've figured out my strategy. I am planning on always making sure, the moment I pick up my next camera, to be put on the list for the next one after that.