M240 image of London by Christopher Tribble

k-hawinkler

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What lense are you shooting for these 3D-like pictures?

3D-like pictures are well known, it mostly depends on very good contrast and good black levels.

The new M has a higher dynamic Range, therefore you need to tweak the contrast in post processing to achieve the same looking image (but anyway the M240 picture will hold more information - which is better IMO)

So go out there and seek for a "contrasty" lense, and I'm sure you want to jump into these pictures ;)

Cheers!

Thanks for advice.

On M8 I use the following lenses mostly:

Summilux 35 f/1.4 (pre-ASPH)

Summicron 50 f/2

Summicron 35 f/2 ASPH

Summicorn 28 f/2 APSH

Summicron 90 f/2 APO ASPH

Regards,

Thomas Chen

• Like 1

Sorry Thomas, can't help you there. All I can do is deliver DNG files that I made myself and only when I have the M 240. Hope this makes sense to you. :)

Bert,

Do you know the channel (not in the forum) where I can send you some JPEG files by scanned M6, scanned Minilux, M8, D-lux 5, and D-lux 6? so that you may compare then with Mr. Gaumy's JPEG. As such you can understand what I mean "3D-like" or "Leica Style".

The files are something 4M or 10M, Flickr abridges big files into small ones, no way to look into the details.

Regards,

Thomas Chen

I'm not an engineer so would appreciate comments from those more knowledgeable. If one shoots raw why is the jpg conversion relevant? Isn't it then the raw developer that lets us see the image? If one could create supposed 3D or painterly effects in the firmware, then why doesn't every camera manufacturer do it? If it were just a matter of making the demosaic work a certain way, you could have options for your favorite painter just as some cameras provide options for "neutral" "vivid" etc.? And then why bother with raw at all? I must say I am confused.

Alan,

You are asking something so fundamental that I cannot answer well. However, in the other way,I try to tell the background why I argue for a "3D-like look" or "legacy Leica Style" in M240. The following is my observation towards the local market based on my interaction with Leica users. This cannot be generalized to other markets.

Let's start from the demographic view point about the market where I live - Taiwan, the scenario might copy itself in China later on.

To afford a M9 body, it takes 6 months' pay for a young engineer working at TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation, the largest semiconductor subcontractor in the world ) and 4 months' pay for a young professor at a national university.

During the past 40 years, here popped up three classes of people who are financially abundant to afford lots of luxurious stuffs encompassing not only a beautiful house but also others: Mesedes Benz or Farrari, Rolex or Breituling, Mont Blanc to name a few; and their ladies: BMW, Cartia, Tiffany, Hermes, LV (not Live View !), PP watches.........of course, our beloved Leica items are one of them.

1. Landlords sell their farm to erect mansions due to uranization.

2. Stockholder & Management in semiconductor or PC, Apple supply chain due to globalization.

3. Successful businessmen in conventional industries who moved their factories to China owing to China-lization.

Among them who own a Leica as a symbol of taste and prestige operates a Leica M6 without much difficulty thanks to the "hyper-focal" property of wide-angle M lenses. M7 is much welcome by their ladies using the function of Aperture Priority (However, most of their ladies use C-Lux according to my observation). Of course, Leica customers also include young photography enthusiasts who are in any stage of their career who squeezes expenditure in other items in trade of a Leica.

The wealthy senior customers, with their sound financial resources, can afford renewing their Leica products continually without reservation, maybe just for show-off, while the younger customers or professional photographers buy M gears mostly for making a living, having second thoughts in fighting against the dangerous (or poisonous, as they say) lure from Leica new stuffs.

In the glorious M6 epoch, “3D-like look” or “Leica style” largely owing to the excellent Leica lenses, was created by local Leica dealers a gimmick (then there was no Leica Boutique yet) to promote Leica products, and soon be recognized as the legacy of genuine Leica performance, something like “Bokeh” created by Japanese Leica dealers to help setting up the beachhead for Leica in the Asia area.

In 1996 Leica debuted M8, a great moment for new customers, however, a nightmare for senior customers. They got mixed up by the setting of so many adjustment variables, not to mention the task of post-processing in Photoshop or Lightroom. Someone gave up, somebody strived to live up to the trend.

My Leica dealer who was a professional analog photographer, also run a Kodak D&P store in the Leica shop, gave up in the wave of digital photography. The store was left to his younger brother. He now brings his R8 and R9 travelling in the remote area of China such as Tibet and XinChiang, I’m not sure whether or not he met Mr. Gaumy in Gyrgizstan !

It’s a pity because the physical Leica forum group in his Leica store become no longer that active, one of his customer, a landlord whose job is wondering around and shooting by Leica lost Leica R camera and the whole range of lenses in the LA airport and replenished them as soon as he returned to Taiwan. This guy has 2 sets of M8 as well as 2 sets of 16-18-21 lenses. Here are some other customers who buy Leica without blinking any eye.

For the senior customer, how to handle digital M is something like how they use M6, set AWB, Auto ISO, A mode, foucus, shoot, and browse the rendering as is, seldom with any parameters adjustment. DNG file is something nice to keep away with. And they always check whether “Leica style” rendering is in place readily from the JPEG image. We customers here appreciate Leica’s efforts in preserving the “Leica Style” in M8 & M9, although not so much if compared with that of M6,7,MP film photography.

Well, that’s the ground that I anticipate “M9-like” rendering in the coming M240. I don’t know if it is appropriate to still live in the nostalgia shadow of Leica old good days. However, as Leica operates a niche market, product excellence is the only dominant key success factor taking into account the price tag.

And the so-called ‘3D-like look” or “the fingerprint of authentic Lecia Style” in the mind of old-fashioned customers motivates them to keep on sponsoring Leica’s endeavor in pursuit of innovation, excellence and prosperity. It manifests the uniqueness of Leica M (In fact, R 35mm f/1.4 creates better 3D-like look than its M sibling) into a physical reality or hard evidence that no others alike (so far it still is) and reinforce the strong position of Lecia in the mind of incumbent and new customers, of course, motivate their purchase decision leading to action to buy next Leica, no matter rational or irrational.

I appreciate if you read through such a long mail.

Best Regards,

Thomas Chen

Bert,

Do you know the channel (not in the forum) where I can send you some JPEG files by scanned M6, scanned Minilux, M8, D-lux 5, and D-lux 6? so that you may compare then with Mr. Gaumy's JPEG. As such you can understand what I mean "3D-like" or "Leica Style".

The files are something 4M or 10M, Flickr abridges big files into small ones, no way to look into the details.

Regards,

Thomas Chen

Thomas, yesterday I have sent you a personal message on this. All the best, Bert