The REAL M-240 sample images - congrats to Jono Slack

andybarton

Just want to clarify one thing.

I downloaded the references from Leica, directly, and only had jpeg version available relating to my

question above and did not realize others were downloading from here so disregard anything to do

with Raw vs. jpeg in my question

Mark

• Like 1

Hi There

thanks for the thanks!

In Live View When you press the shutter, the camera has to close the shutter and charge the sensor and then open the shutter again - this takes a perceptible amount of time, which means that Live view isn't really ideal for action photography.

Please note - if live view is turned off, this doesn't happen, and the picture is taken very quickly.

I hope this helps

Indeed this helps :). I'm mainly interested in the Rangefinder.

I've got a NEX for liveview..

Thanks alot!

Very interesting

I had a play as if it was an M9 file and found it quite different (Okay only one picture so far) when converting to B&W I ended up dropping the exposure and upping the white slider to keep the dynamic range but drop the high white level on the face. I was very impressed with the ISO performance at 2,500, better than the M9 at 1000 my usual 'pick' when struggling for light.

Hi there

I really like the black and white conversions - not really appropriate to show them here, but they do really well IMHO.

• Like 2

Thanks Andy

Please don't shoot me either (nervous doesn't quite describe it!)

I hope that you're all as enthusiastic as I am.

All the best

Jono,

Having been ill for the last couple of weeks, this has cheered me up no end. The first really good news we have had on the M-240 since September - well done. The loaf of bread looks good enough to eat :)

Wilson

• Like 2

Regarding the shutter lag, how much time we are talking about? A quarter of a second, a half of the second?

HI There

I'm sorry - I haven't a good way of testing this, and there's no guarantee that it won't be improved in the production models anyway - I'd say much much less than 1/4 second, but I'm really only guessing. For most purposes I don't think you'd notice it, but as I said in my write-up, it isn't the answer for action photography.

All the best

• Like 3

Thanks for making these available,Jono. They help shed a little light on the sensor

One little nitpik if you could confirm,svp..

The snow scene with trees and blue sky (jpeg version only) seems to not be too terribly sharp.

If I were a betting man i would suggest that the image is not focussed on the trees but rather the

snow in the extreme foreground on the bottom left.

Detail is extremely sharp here but seemingly off in the trees.

If you check the GPS coordinates for that shot, you'll see it's obvious Jono made the shot while skiing down the slope! I would guess 1/750 was a touch too slow to freeze the movement. :D

Seriously though, I agree the tree branches don't look quite right. You can also see there is a bit of jagged edges on some of the branch tips, while others are a bit blurred looking. Will be interesting to see results with shipping firmware.

Of which, I find it a bit curious that Leica would OK the release of early camera/firmware images, since they're apparently not representational of what later cameras/firmware produced. It's obvious these files will be seriously poked and prodded more than normally would be, to find any weaknesses.

That said, we have to commend Leica for being fairly transparent and allowing such flaws to be found. Contrast this with the typical sample photos from other manufacturers that are typically SOOC Jpegs with a fair amount of NR applied.

Thank you Jono for the compelling range of images and informative write-up. Glad to read in your comment above that you haven't noticed edge colour shifts with wide angle lenses!

• Like 3

Hi Jono,

Congratulations and many thanks for the revealing photographs!

As expected you have come through again in timely fashion.

You are building up quite a track record being involved with the rollout of the M9 and MM as well.

Leica certainly picked the right man for the job!

And they, Leica, seem to have another winning camera.

I hope you can keep your M240! :)

Good show! Thanks again.

• Like 1

I'm the first one in line in the relevant camera shop (the one with the Leica corner....blah...) in Finland, interesting to see if I will get my camera at the same time as people in "more important" countries.

Hah! We're line sharing! I'm in the same line, though obviously not in the first place.. agreed in a trade sometime in november. Trading in my M9. I'm queueing in their pro shop in Turku.

//Juha

• Like 1

Thanks for posting these, Jono.

They show beyond doubt that one can use the Leica M and get results. The image quality of the Leica M9 went up considerably after some months of collective use, and the Leica M will do the same.

But for now the images show that the camera can perform, also at high ISO.

• Like 1

Jono,

Having been ill for the last couple of weeks, this has cheered me up no end. The first really good news we have had on the M-240 since September - well done. The loaf of bread looks good enough to eat :)

Wilson

HI There Wilson

I'm really sorry you've not been well - and very pleased to have provided a bit of amusement!

The bread would be a bit stale by now, but the camera is really splendid.

GET WELL SOON

all the best

• Like 1

But for now the images show that the camera can perform, also at high ISO.

This has certainly been relieving. I'm actually quite happy with the high iso of my X2. Now the new M seems to trump that.. so basically I'm getting all that I could wish for - my M9 with better than my X2 high iso. What more could one wish for? Combine that with a 50 slux.. soon shooting black cats in a coal cellar :-)

//Juha

Seriously though, I agree the tree branches don't look quite right. You can also see there is a bit of jagged edges on some of the branch tips, while others are a bit blurred looking.

Are you kidding? Perhaps your expectations are over-the-top.

Ok, but I really need to see DNG's more in line with the photos of Jean Gaumy to see what this new camera is capable of.

Greater DOF, photos taken between f8 and f11, details like green foliage, details in the background to check the ccd vs. cmos discussion etc. Use of normal to medium wide lenses.

Hope Leica understands that not everyone is interested in "Bokeh" (whatever that means) and we will see "different" DNG perfomance proofs added soon to the website.

Jochem

Seriously though, I agree the tree branches don't look quite right. You can also see there is a bit of jagged edges on some of the branch tips, while others are a bit blurred looking. Will be interesting to see results with shipping firmware.

Huh?????