The REAL M-240 sample images - congrats to Jono Slack

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These images are what we really needed all the time. Frankly, I'm surprised and very happy for Leica for this leap in design. I'm pushed over the edge to purchase the M240. My confidence is restored!

Very good, concise article as well.

Thank you so much Jono and Leica! You made my day.

I only can repeat pico's words.

THANKS to jono and Leica!

• Like 2

Hi There

Bread - if you mean the shot with the tomatoes and olive oil. Was taken on 2nd December, with the first camera sample (without a serial number in the exif - actually 4444002 FWIW!)

Map - if you mean the shot with the map and the spectacles was taken on the 22nd January this year with 4444319 - a much later camera - so I hope and expect that you would get map and not bread!

all the best

Ok, yes, I'm looking at "Metadata date" in the exif, which is not capture date. Understood. Thanks. I'd be pretty happy with "map" camera ....

... you want an address to send it to Jono or how shall we proceed? ;)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks very much for sharing, the last snow scene shows very cmos like however.

Great work anyway!

That's interesting, in what way do you think? I thought the opposite, being a 5DII and M9 shooter. Haven't got a latest CMOS body though, 5DIII / 1DX etc and no Nikon. But I felt it was "Leica" more than Canon, especially with the tonal transitions in the snow lit to shadow?

edit - separate, unrelated observation on this image is that it responds well to higher amounts of high frequency capture sharpening than my M9 files ever did, of trees. If I got anywhere near the sharpening process on the M9 it went too far, here you can work the file from under optimal (subjective, my opinion) to optimal and out to over sharpened. Similar, but not as extreme as the 5DII files. (Not a bad thing, just an observation. Probably related to increased rez rather than CMOS vs CCD? Dunno?)

Edited by dwbell
  • Like 2

Great to see these Jono. Any side-by-side M9 comparisons hanging around? Just a touch on Auto in ACR does quite a nice job on Map and Bread.

Many thanks.

Richard

HI Richard

Sorry - not a chance - I feel quite nervous enough with these being posted, without doing dangerous comparisons on line! (it always irritates someone).

all the best

• Like 1

HI Richard

Sorry - not a chance - I feel quite nervous enough with these being posted, without doing dangerous comparisons on line! (it always irritates someone).

all the best

Indeed. Your summary assessment certainly provides ample encouragement for now. Looking forward to delivery of the release iteration.

Cheers.

HI Richard

all the best

I can sympathise with that sentiment - and as they stand these images are more than enough to justify the high expectations we have of this latest iteration of the M. I certainly feel they put the CCD vs CMOS argument in perspective... Thanks for sharing these samples.

• Like 2

Hi,

great work, well done Jonathan!!

This is the first set of pics from where one can decide to buy the M240!

So I assume that there will be a few more M9's tonight for sale in the classifieds section:D:D

Keep up the good work on this!

John

• Like 1

Unless I am missing something, none of the shots were taken wide open. Even the shot with the Noct was at f6.8 and the Lux at f4.0. I wonder why. The shots are stunning, but aren't these lenses meant to be shot wide open?

Jono is testing the camera, not the lenses

• Like 3

Thanks for showing these Jonathan :)

I have a question about the girl in the snow with the dog picture - Was the girls's coat black or is the colour of it accurate to how it was?

To me it looks a bit magenta very much like a M8 picture without the UVIR filter on the lens.

Regards Paul Mac

I've just seen this thread and on an initial look I too was struck by the magenta coat - I feel that it is meant to be black...??

Unless I am missing something, none of the shots were taken wide open. Even the shot with the Noct was at f6.8 and the Lux at f4.0. I wonder why. The shots are stunning, but aren't these lenses meant to be shot wide open?

indeed, Leica lens are optimized for shooting at any aperture, wide open or close up. But that doesnt mean one must always shoot wide open because you can. If background is important to that specific shot, it is always good to keep it rather than BOKEH the heck out of it ;)

• Like 1