The REAL M-240 sample images - congrats to Jono Slack

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Will that have impact to the production of the camera?

I mean, this might be a bad news for some, but on the other hand it might mean that many more people will receive the camera with it's first shippment.

Could very well be a scheduling issue as well - they may not be able to get back to your area before May even if the firmware is done and the camera is released in March.

[quote name=Thomas Chen;2315880

Every photographer no matter novice or veteran dreams for a Leica M' date=' a laurel in photography. Owning a M indicates that he will devote himself in photography and he is after the execellence in photography.[/quote]

Don't drink that Kool-Aid. Photographers choose the tools that work for them.

If you've never used a rangefinder it might be best to borrow/rent one for a day. A very different experience than a D-Lux or a dslr. Not all get on with it, even seasoned pros. And there's a reason the camera comes with a copy of Lightroom. Even if one decides to shoot jpegs for expediency, almost all serious (and some even not so) shoot RAWs alongside as that is your "digital negative."

• Like 1

as RAW interpretation software becomes better old RAW files can be revisited and interpreted yet again to produce even better image files.

As we have seen by the implementation of Lightroom 4's "2012 Process", compared to the earlier LR 3's 2010 and before that the original 2003 Process.

John

HI Thomas

But it DOES have good jpg output - technically much better than that from the D-lux - you are quite entitled to your different preference, but you shouldn't assume that 'good' for you is the same as 'good' for others - or, indeed, empirically 'good'

all the best

Agree.

Maybe I'm still addicted to the beauty of M6 image, neglecting the fundamental technological difference between M analog and M digital, including the output medium.

Thanks,

Thomas Chen

All you require from the DNG out of the M 240 is a sufficiently wide dynamic range, large colour space and high resolution to create the image you need.

Bert,

Are you terribly busy? or may I ask you some technical questions? I'm puzzling in dealing with DNG file of Chris' St. Paul Cathedral.

What kind of gamut it is in M240? Prophoto RGB, Wide gamut RGB, or Adobe RGB (1988)?

How is the color depth? 8 bpc, 16 bpc, or 32 bpc?

In order to do a better communication if a nearly common platform can be in place, may I know what kind of monitor are you using? Eizo Flexscan, Eizo Color Edge, or Dell Ultrasharp 2711 that I'm using now.

Which graphic card is in your workstation? I plug in a AMD Firepro V4900 with 30 bits display function activated.

Thanks a lot.

Thomas Chen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bert,

Are you terribly busy? or may I ask you some technical questions? I'm puzzling in dealing with DNG file of Chris' St. Paul Cathedral.

What kind of gamut it is in M240? Prophoto RGB, Wide gamut RGB, or Adobe RGB (1988)?

Thomas Chen

Thomas, before we continue, three requests

1] please read and answer personal messages on this forum

2] please read the literature on DNG files: the way you pose your question suggests you do not understand the nature of those files: a color space like Adobe RGB (1998) arrives at the scene after conversion and is not a property of a DNG file

3) please do place your postings on postprocessing in the Digital Post Processing Forum

• Like 2

Bert,

In order to do a better communication if a nearly common platform can be in place, may I know what kind of monitor are you using? Eizo Flexscan, Eizo Color Edge, or Dell Ultrasharp 2711 that I'm using now.

Which graphic card is in your workstation? I plug in a AMD Firepro V4900 with 30 bits display function activated.

Thanks a lot.

Thomas Chen

Are you just trying to prove your technical knowledge? I don't understand what your point is and after reading the last few pages I think it seems like you are trying to use your technical prowess to try and outsmart forum members, a kind of arrogant way.

All I see is an irritating amount of naivety, and you basically need to just buy a camera and leave it on automatic everything.

Gut feeling is that you're here for one-upmanship rather than discussing relevant issues.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

As you are in DNG = raw, most of these questions cannot have any relevance. However, I have moved posts on this topic to the digital postprocessing forum

Bert,

Thanks a lot.

Thomas Chen

• Like 9

Could very well be a scheduling issue as well - they may not be able to get back to your area before May even if the firmware is done and the camera is released in March.

If once I receive the new M I will not hesitate to sell it if it does not work for me; I'm not buying a Leica just so I can tell others that I have a Leica, except that it sits on a shelf!

Thomas, before we continue, three requests

1] please read and answer personal messages on this forum

2] please read the literature on DNG files: the way you pose your question suggests you do not understand the nature of those files: a color space like Adobe RGB (1998) arrives at the scene after conversion and is not a property of a DNG file

3) please do place your postings on postprocessing in the Digital Post Processing Forum

Bert,

In my marriage with M6 (also MP) for more than a dozen of years, the beautiful spirit of image especially in the slide is still lingering in my head, motivating me to seek for whatever by all means possible that can invoke them in the digital era. M240 may be the hope.

Besides pushing Leica I also exert myself to prepare all items what are crucial to the manifestation of “Leica Look” or “3D-like Look”, a not so appropriate term coined by me, from. M240 JPEGs. I have set up in place an environment encompassing tools featuring the maximum pixel resolution, the widest color gamut, and the largest color depth possible in the civilian application at least in 2012, not to mention the post-processing programs from various brands. Yes,I can make a “Leica Look” image via DNG, if time permitting and by advices from experts.

The system will facilitate making the best of M240 image in my interaction with my M lenses across the spectrum of the whole focal length, exploring the unknown realm of Leica M digital technology.

The way I made a long post in the forum is the courtesy to respect whomever knows better than me so as to understand why I say so, not what I say, and also paving a way to allow Leica people who’s involved in customer relationship management to hear the voice of consumer customers in the other part of world.

Professional photographer selects the best lenses for their work. However, affordable consumers buy Leica items like the way women collects the jewelries, as they are the culmination of science, technology, beauty, and long lasting value as such so precious for ones to die for in the man’s world.

I cry for a “Leica Look” image straight from M240 JEPG, not for myself but for a group of friends of mine. They in individual, for example, would sooner marry a cute, pretty, sweet, and thoughtful lady than a woman who promises to deliver half a dozen of children in the future. With the M6-like images they are familiar with, I can coax them into the prospects of M240 and set up a physical domestic M240 forum.

In the seminar with Ph.D and Master students, some particular intelligent ones always make presentation in a civilized way that is so compelling with the discourse full of wisdom, and articulate difficult concepts so clearly by excellent examples, or even metaphors. One instance is my German student Hr. Danniel Werner, who now work in Colon. I see the same trait from Hr, Thepoch and Bert.

My dear friends in this thread,

Auf Widersehen und bis gleich

in the Pos-processing forum.

All the best,

Thomas Chen

I'm lost. I thought this thread was about Jono's pics. What's the Leica 3-D look? My Leicas are only 2-D, and how do they pop?

Your Leicas and your images are safe. However, there will be an on line seminar offered in the postprocessing forum (with simultaneous translation) for the subset of members who are Daddy Warbucks types and who want to have popping jpgs straight from the camera. The seminar will also include how the EVF (or maybe it is ACR) can help lure "cute, pretty, sweet and thoughtful ladies". In fact there will be no discussion of 3D but there may be a 4D discussion of how to return to the past while moving to the future at the same time. The most important 4D issue is that this subthread has been moved nun pro tunc (retroactive) and our memory cells have already been wiped.

Edited by WeinschelA
  • Like 8

Whew. And for the longest time I thought it was me so I keep drinking more coffee, but then my screen got blurry and I had to go out and shoot DNG without the Jpeg option just get my sanity back.

I went out and shot jpg in 'vivid film mode' . then i fondled my son's M6 and drank a lot of white wine. it obviously took us all differently.

• Like 1