Will there be new telephoto lenses for M?

mirekti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm new to Leica, actually I don't own one yet.

If I understand corectly there were no telephoto lenses in range of 200mm as it would be very hard to compose and focus with it.

Now as EVF, live view and focus peaking came into the game, can we expect that something like 200mm will come out soon for M series?

Please move this to the lens section, I posted in a wrong... sorry.

Their lenses are huge because of the distance between the lens and the sensor, primarily. We will have to wait and see if Leica can keep the same small form factor if, they include AF in the M-system. But, I believe the longer M lenses may be where Leica starts this trend in one of their future M cameras, not the M240, of course.

The new M provides lots of options to attach long lenses, possibly new ones from Leica, Leica R glass, lenses from other manufacturers, easier when the lens has an aperture ring. All focussing takes place with the lens at working aperture, and for critical focussing, it will be necessary to open the lens up and stop down again for shooting, so it's hardly going to be suitable for the likes of sports photography. This is where the likes of Praktica were in the 1970s.

I think there will be renewed interest in the existing 135mm M lens because it will be rather easier to use on the M though Leica need to tidy up the confusion of not coding this lens - others here will explain what the issue is, I can't remember. Go beyond 135mm and you are now in a world of uncoupled M lenses which will suit the new camera only and therefore change the business case for making them.

It's going to be interesting to see where Leica takes M lenses: macro, T/S, zoom, telephoto, about the only thing we can be certain of is that the lenses will remain very expensive.

I think autofocus is a long way away if ever. There's no electrical interface between camera and lens currently and difficult to see how one could ever be provided, space inside the lens throat is extremely tight for the fastest lenses already.

You could think of some sort of serial interface on the lens flange which would reduce the number of pins required (think USB) but the camera would still have to power the lenses, the lenses would be huge by M standards and would all need to use internal focussing to keep the lens barrel rigid. Even compared to the new M, such a camera would go way beyond the comfort zone.

I'd be surprised if there was autofocus, but in camera stabilisation ought to be within the bounds of possibility. Fast long glass for the M (up to 300?) + a competent EVF + focus confirmation could make for a wonderful dual system with the RF for wider and standard FL and the EVF for telephoto... Given the fierce price of R lenses I'd have thought that Leica would be looking seriously at this market...

• Like 2

Their lenses are huge because of the distance between the lens and the sensor, primarily. We will have to wait and see if Leica can keep the same small form factor if, they include AF in the M-system. But, I believe the longer M lenses may be where Leica starts this trend in one of their future M cameras, not the M240, of course.

I guess that by "distance between the lens and the sensor" you mean the register distance between the lens mount flange and the sensor, c. 45mm on a SLR vs c. 28mm on a Leica M. This has a "huge" effect on possible lens designs with focal lengths shorter than about 50mm but isn't relevant for longer focal lengths. Any increased bulk of other SLR lenses over RF lenses of the same aperture and focal length comes down to factors such as:

• larger lens mount diameter
  • auto-diaphragm mechanism
  • no need to constrain optical design to avoid blocking VF or RF windows
  • focus mechanism (older RF lenses had single-helix rotating mounts while almost all SLR lenses have double-helix rectilinear mounts; SLR lenses generally focus closer, again requiring a bulkier mechanism; and finally of course the autofocus mechanism).

...I think there will be renewed interest in the existing 135mm M lens because it will be rather easier to use on the M though Leica need to tidy up the confusion of not coding this lens - others here will explain what the issue is, I can't remember. ....

The Apo-Telyt is sold coded now:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-objektive/266034-apo-telyt-m-3-4-135-a.html#post2286212

I think there will be renewed interest in the existing 135mm M lens because it will be rather easier to use on the M though Leica need to tidy up the confusion of not coding this lens - others here will explain what the issue is, I can't remember. Go beyond 135mm and you are now in a world of uncoupled M lenses which will suit the new camera only and therefore change the business case for making them.

Mark, My one year+ old 135/3.4 M lens has been at Leica NJ now for around 3 weeks for 6 bit coding. They told me it might be back to me in about 6 weeks due to sending it in just after the holidays.

They now come coded.

I'm new to Leica, actually I don't own one yet.

If I understand corectly there were no telephoto lenses in range of 200mm as it would be very hard to compose and focus with it.

Now as EVF, live view and focus peaking came into the game, can we expect that something like 200mm will come out soon for M series?

Please move this to the lens section, I posted in a wrong... sorry.

I should have replied to your post earlier. While at Photokina the very first lens I tried on the M-240 was the 135/3.4. I wanted to see how the red lines worked on it. The part of the image plane in focus shimmers with red and outlines where you are in focus. (This is similar to the Ricoh GXR, but better since the red stands out better for me.) I was focusing on a poster on the wall about 20 meters away, hand held. The image was spot on in focus. It was perfect for me who must normally use a Walter eye piece to get images in focus with either my M9 and MM.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if there was autofocus, but in camera stabilisation ought to be within the bounds of possibility. Fast long glass for the M (up to 300?) + a competent EVF + focus confirmation could make for a wonderful dual system with the RF for wider and standard FL and the EVF for telephoto... Given the fierce price of R lenses I'd have thought that Leica would be looking seriously at this market...

I don't know, Chris, so far I've predicted just about everything Leica has done on the M240. I don't see why a future M would not have contacts added to the mount and allow for all sorts of auto focus lenses and they may well have to have plastic parts.

I'd love to have a little zoom 28-90 AF Leica to shoot kids and stuff. It wouldn't take the place of the MF traditional M lenses I have but, it would free me from DSLRs with AF even more than what the LV functionality of the M is already going to do for us.

You were looking forward to maybe having one system for all your work. Wouldn't it be nice in the future if you could add a little zoom AF lens to the system to have in the bag.

Com on come on, come on... it's just a little pin-prick... agh aagh aaagh... -Pink Floyd

I don't know' date=' Chris, so far I've predicted just about everything Leica has done on the M240. I don't see why a future M would not have contacts added to the mount and allow for all sorts of auto focus lenses and they may well have to have plastic parts.

I'd love to have a little zoom 28-90 AF Leica to shoot kids and stuff. It wouldn't take the place of the MF traditional M lenses I have but, it would free me from DSLRs with AF even more than what the LV functionality of the M is already going to do for us.

You were looking forward to maybe having one system for all your work. Wouldn't it be nice in the future if you could add a little zoom AF lens to the system to have in the bag.

Com on come on, come on... it's just a little pin-prick... agh aagh aaagh... -Pink Floyd[/quote']

I do like Pink Floyd

• Like 1