Might the new Leica M's image quality be "too good?"

tappan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I remember some Canon users thinking that the then new 5D Mark 11 was "too crisp", "too sharp" compared to the Canon 1d mark111...that while, yes, the ISO could be raised very high in low light, the everyday shooting at 100-400 iso didn't seem to have "character" etc.

I am an M9-P user now waiting to see WHEN Leica will release more sample photos from the M, so that I might make a decision as to whether or not I will buy this camera. Is anybody else doing as I am. How many of you will be keeping your M9's.

Thanks,

Mark

cmon, when does Leica disappoint other then with sample images? Was the M9 a disappointment? Was the monochrom a disappointment? The new M will be just what Leica needs. I have one on order and can't wait. Looking forward to using focus peaking with my F/0.95 Noctilux.

If any of you are on the fence order it and if you're not happy sell it. You won't loose much if any money.

And yes, I will keep my M9.

Edited by Scott997

For people like me who would like to make large prints, there is no such thing as "too good" in imaging equipment. When you print large, you need good negatives or good files as a source. While the M9 is very good, and it does not compete directly with DSLRs, cameras like the Nikon D800 series, D600 and Canon 5D mk III have raised the bar on the whole area of digital imaging, and really rival the best 35mm and medium format films (assuming you put very good lenses in front of their superb sensors). Leica has to keep improving or risk stagnation and loss of market.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm gazing into my crystal ball at the M-240... I see images that look very much like the current M9 images with some incremental improvement in resolution (which is pretty amazing in a CMOS sensor,) and a larger file size. I see some incremental improvement in higher ISO performance. Mostly I see a feature set (water resistance, live view, etc.) that allows it to compete in the larger market.

I expect there will be some improvements in IQ. I doubt that they're going to be so significant that they instantly obsolete the M9.

Now, I am buying the new M, and I am just as guilty of pixel peeping as the next guy, if not more, but every now and then I wonder whether I wouldn't be better off selling two thirds of my gear and just keep my 35mm and 50mm and just focus on photography.

Someone here has in their signature "Image quality is NOT the same as a quality image."

+1

• Like 4

indeed- image quality is worthless unless the image subject is worthy. And I keep seeing film shots that just look better than digital shots. I have seen images from the 1890's that are perfectly sharp enough for me- and have plenty of detail. Just look at an Atget print.

Seems to me if resolution and detail are the name of the game 4x5 is the way to go.

Personally I am more interested in other features that the M has: liveview, focus peaking, weather sealing, tethering and higher ISO.

and for the OP: if the images are too good- surely you could 'fuzz' them up in PP?

I can tell you that in terms of sheer resolution, 35mm color negative has long been surpassed.

Once the ability of the camera and the lens has exceeded the ability of the human eye, then there will be no need to upgrade. Alas I think that limit is here for me, I think. So I will stay with the M9-P unless it breaks and a replacement is due.

I remember some Canon users thinking that the then new 5D Mark 11 was "too crisp", "too sharp" compared to the Canon 1d mark111...that while, yes, the ISO could be raised very high in low light, the everyday shooting at 100-400 iso didn't seem to have "character" etc.

I am an M9-P user now waiting to see WHEN Leica will release more sample photos from the M, so that I might make a decision as to whether or not I will buy this camera. Is anybody else doing as I am. How many of you will be keeping your M9's.

Thanks,

Mark

I dont like the M9 , I have pre-ordered the new M before the Photokina

without the new M I shall stop with Leica and sell all my good lenses

What don't you like about the M9? Why do you think it is going to be any better with the M?!

The IQ of the M9 is good enough for me but I don't like rangefinders at all, shooting only with 35 or 50 mm is not enough for me

I want to use 24 to 135 mm easily

bur more FF mirror-less will come soon , from Sony or Fuji or any

The IQ of the M9 is good enough for me but I don't like rangefinders at all, shooting only with 35 or 50 mm is not enough for me

I want to use 24 to 135 mm easily

bur more FF mirror-less will come soon , from Sony or Fuji or any

You don't like rangefinders, but yet you preordered an M? Something doesn't make sense there....

• Like 8

I expect Leica to avoid too much in sensor sharpening with the new M and for the images created to be ahead of similar CMOS chips, but I remain open minded about what the CCD offers that CMOS doesn't with creating for me a more analogue look. I know there will be a list of people telling me I'm talking rubbish, but that's what people tell, me. Perhaps it's the style of my shots, the choice of B&W and matt papers. But........

I watched a heavily processed bluray disc shown in a local B&O shop and was reminded why 'super sharp, artificially lit perfect fruit and flowers' look awful and nothing like real life on video too.

No one complains about the S2, or 80MP digital backs so for me it will be all about the

look of rendering and how much they sharpen. I'm very happy with my M9, I might upgrade in 3-4 years time when I get near 50k actuations and still want different things than the new M offers (or rather I have no interest in the new features)

Edited by IWC Doppel

Seriously then think about getting a DSLR. Realistically are you going to use the live view or the electronic visoflex to shoot a 135mm lens on the new Leica M?
Seriously I know my needs thank you, I have sold my Hasselblad and Canon and actually I use the 135 apo-telyt on the Sony NEX-6, I use the M9 only with 35 and 50 mm

the EVF is perfect for me , zoom , histogram, focus peaking, level ....

You don't like rangefinders, but yet you preordered an M? Something doesn't make sense there....
Something doesn't make sense there FOR YOU

but if Sony release a better FF miroless camera , and IF the M lenses are good on it , I could certainly sell the new M for a better and easier body to use

Edited by erick