Help..problem with M9 while in Burma

michaelstokes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello.

I am currently in Burma on a photography tour and have unusual problem with my M9 using 50 S'lux. I am experiencing an unusual 'colour banding' as shown in the attached image on the left and right hand side of every second to third image. This appeared initially using a new Sandisk Extreme 16GB cards. I have reformatted the card with so success and then changed to an older Sandisk Extreme 4Gb card. This has not had any benefit. I have also removed the UV filter and switched to a 90mm Elmarit lens. This camera was serviced by Leica just before Christmas!! I would appreciate any advice.

Fortunately , I have also brought an MM with me which is a joy to use and no problems encountered so far.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Michael

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've not seen this before. If I were in your situation (given that you've already done the sensible thing and checked the card) I'd try cleaning the contacts for the SD card + the slot. I assume the battery is functioning OK - have you tried swapping this over from the MM?

Sorry for your problem :-(

Chris,

Thanks for the quick response. I have changed the battery and it was a different card. Other than the contacts at the end of the card, is there anything else with the card that I can do? I have not been able to replicate the problem in the hotel room but it definitely happened yesterday and again today. The strange thing is that I am getting about one out three shots without any problem even if I shoot 10 or 12 shots.

regards,

Michael

I'm clutching at straws here but try doing a reset through the menu; if it's especially humid, try drying out the camera. Beyond that, it's good you have as backup.

Mark,

thanks for the reply. It is about 32C but not very humid. I will try this when I go out tomorrow.

regards,

Michael

Mark,

thanks for the reply. It is about 32C but not very humid. I will try this when I go out tomorrow.

regards,

Michael

Did you go through any special electronic devices that might have given the card fits? I so far have not had any issues (touch wood) with my Sandisk Extreme 32GB 30MB/s cards on either my M9's or MM.

I know you're on vacation, but upon extremely close inspection can you detect even the slightest crack or opening in the card? Having traveled that part of the world for many years, often moisture can be a culprit. Sometimes even an airline flight can cause moisture build-up we are not aware of. Sorry for you-of all places too. Does the problem also show up on the LCD or just after loading the SD card into a reader?

Edited by algrove

Guest WPalank
I gave up on Sandisk cards in my M9

Me as well. although some users had no problems wihth the brand, I got 2 that were bad (and yes, bought from reputable stores).

Hello.

I am currently in Burma on a photography tour and have unusual problem with my M9 using 50 S'lux. I am experiencing an unusual 'colour banding' as shown in the attached image on the left and right hand side of every second to third image. This appeared initially using a new Sandisk Extreme 16GB cards. I have reformatted the card with so success and then changed to an older Sandisk Extreme 4Gb card. This has not had any benefit. I have also removed the UV filter and switched to a 90mm Elmarit lens. This camera was serviced by Leica just before Christmas!! I would appreciate any advice.

Fortunately , I have also brought an MM with me which is a joy to use and no problems encountered so far.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Michael

Michael - see my thread http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/227234-coloured-banding-files.html .

It's not the SD card, it's the camera electronics. Solms replaced mine, though they didn't say exactly what was wrong...

Although your camera was 'serviced', if your fault is the same as mine, it suddenly appeared, and like toothache got steadily worse. Electronics failing...

You might still be able to get usable shots by shooting and letting the buffer download to the card before taking the next one, i.e. wait until the red light stops flashing.

Edited by Richardgb

Michael - see my thread http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/227234-coloured-banding-files.html .

It's not the SD card, it's the camera electronics. Solms replaced mine, though they didn't say exactly what was wrong...

Although your camera was 'serviced', if your fault is the same as mine, it suddenly appeared, and like toothache got steadily worse. Electronics failing...

You might still be able to get usable shots by shooting and letting the buffer download to the card before taking the next one, i.e. wait until the red light stops flashing.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I tried Chris's suggestion of cleaning the contact points on the SD card. The problem has not reappeared but I have used the M9 very little in the past two days because of it and relied more on a D800E for colour shooting. I will give it another go tomorrow in Mandalay.

regards,

Michael

I gave up on Sandisk cards in my M9

you just need to use older cards. Ultra II works rather well, no problem whatsoever; you can delete images in-camera with this card. i've tried the Extreme series, while it is ok for storing images, you cannot delete in-camera, it will cause the card to fail miserably.

Richard, who did you contact in Solms? I sent an email at the weekend to the person who had been handling the repair of this M9 but have not received any response? Thanks

Regards

Michael

I had a similar problem with my M9 which occured occasionally last year. The problem has been solved quite easily after sending the camera to Solms. Leica Solms measured the battery pack (which was meanwhile approx 4 yrs old, already used in the M8) and diagnosed that at a capacity below 50% of the power the data were not transferred properly to the card. Switching to a new battery pack completely solved the problem. All the best!

I had a similar problem with my M9 which occured occasionally last year. The problem has been solved quite easily after sending the camera to Solms. Leica Solms measured the battery pack (which was meanwhile approx 4 yrs old, already used in the M8) and diagnosed that at a capacity below 50% of the power the data were not transferred properly to the card. Switching to a new battery pack completely solved the problem. All the best!

That's why in Panasonic 16GB SDHC Memory Card Class 10 UHS-I RPSDB16GB1K B&H this section is so helpful, quote:

"Power Failure Protection

In the event of a power failure, SICS saves original data back to the card so there is no corruption or loss of material. If a power failure occurs, not only can the current clip being recorded become damaged, but data can be corrupted in other areas as well. With the SICS feature, it is like the power failure never occurred. This has been tested and certified by TÜV Rheinland, a leading Product Certification provider, for up to 1,000 times"

you just need to use older cards. Ultra II works rather well, no problem whatsoever; you can delete images in-camera with this card. i've tried the Extreme series, while it is ok for storing images, you cannot delete in-camera, it will cause the card to fail miserably.

That is just not true from my experience with 32GB Sandisk Extreme cards. I have successfully recorded and deleted of well over 50,000 images on these type of SD cards without one problem (touch wood). All purchased from Adorama.