Sign in to follow this  
anonimo2003

Leica M8 is a good Buy?

Would we prefer rangefinders if they were much bigger and/or used mediocre lenses? The best of us yes perhaps, but the very best then.

As for the bigger: yes I would, and do. The M lenses I have aren't very small and come very close to the size of their DSLR equivalents. And if I had the option to use even larger rangefinder lenses to achieve medium format, I would.

On a related note: thank you Hepcat for your responses, good to hear thoughts from seasoned professionals.

I'd only agree with this point if you have a flawless M that doesn't require any maintenance or repairs. As soon as such is required, you can kiss goodbye to any money you may have saved in terms of depreciation.

My M8 had the coffee stain problem (twice) and hot pixels. Had Leica been able to fix it I would have been looking at a bill of £600 plus, which was half the value of the camera itself.

Digital Ms can be temperamental, and if you're lucky to find yourself in that position, they can become very expensive, very quickly.

i would only buy an M8 if it were very cheap, I.e. around £700 and had a late serial number, but even then there is a risk of problems (my M8 was near mint, had less than 7k shutter actuations and a 333 serial number).

Finally, some reality. I would say 700 is a fair price for that camera. Even then, it is still a little on the high side. It is an outdated camera, any machine you find now will have had thousands of actuations and will have to trust that the previous owner didn't screw around with it in some other way.

The cheapest one I found on ebay has 5,000 actuations and it's going for 1900. You can get a 5d2 brand new in a box with warranty, double the MP, video and a lot of other things for 1,600.

Now that you're talking about the difficulty of getting it repaired, what happens if it screws up a month after you buy it? Not to mention all the problems the M8 had in the first place. You can get a 5d2 brand new in a box with warranty for less money and no down the road grief.

I wouldn't touch an M8 with a thousand foot pole.

And by the way, "if" I was going to buy an M8, it would have to be an 8.2. The M8 had problems. The only M8.2 I saw on ebay this morning had a $4k buy-out. You could buy the new 5d3 or the D800 for that. And yes, the d800 will destroy the M8.2

Edited by sfage

One reason I decided to go with Leica M and throw off the shackles of DSLR were the fact that my R glass just does not lend itself to mixed marriages.

I did Leitax conversions on my three lens (35mm Elmarit-R, 50mm 'Cron-R, and 90mm Elamrit-R) and they are all wonderful. I dislike stopping down, dim viewfinders etc...

I wouldn't touch an M8 with a thousand foot pole.

And by the way, "if" I was going to buy an M8, it would have to be an 8.2. The M8 had problems. The only M8.2 I saw on ebay this morning had a $4k buy-out. You could buy the new 5d3 or the D800 for that. And yes, the d800 will destroy the M8.2

what a pile of cack.

'destroy' in what? in it's rangefinder experience? NO. with its wide selection of wonderful LTM and M-mount Leica lenses? NO. in its beautiful build quality and simple functionality? NO. These are the features which make us buy Leicas. If you don't like it....why are you here?

don't you understand that people have different preferences and affinities? If we wanted pedestrian, mass produced, full-frame cameras---we could easily buy them. but we don't. i suggest you go and find Canikon forums where you can feel affirmed in your love of those devices. I'd rather use my iphone than carry around a repulsive DSLR with features i don't care for, if i'm honest.

the market for the M8 will remain strong...as there are many who love it still..deal with it!

Edited by iedei

Funny i'm a Nikonian as well and the simple idea than any Nikon could "destroy" my M8.2 makes me feel like i don't live on the same planet. No problem i'm a SciFi fanboy.

Give me a Nikon DRF and Nikon M lenses in the first place and i will begin to look at them otherwise than as good tools for my job.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

what a pile of cack.

'destroy' in what? in it's rangefinder experience? NO. with its wide selection of wonderful LTM and M-mount Leica lenses? NO. in its beautiful build quality and simple functionality? NO. These are the features which make us buy Leicas. If you don't like it....why are you here?

don't you understand that people have different preferences and affinities? If we wanted pedestrian, mass produced, full-frame cameras---we could easily buy them. but we don't. i suggest you go and find Canikon forums where you can feel affirmed in your love of those devices. I'd rather use my iphone than carry around a repulsive DSLR with features i don't care for, if i'm honest.

the market for the M8 will remain strong...as there are many who love it still..deal with it!

In all of the qualities you have listed here, none of them actually have anything to do with making art.

"The rangefinder experience?"

Really?

Really?!!!

In all of the qualities you have listed here, none of them actually have anything to do with making art.

"The rangefinder experience?"

Really?

Really?!!!

uhhh...so assortment of lenses, rangefinder useage, and simple functionality have nothing to do with creating art? That's a pretty one dimensional view you have of creativity----as in my view, the functionality of a device HELPS with actually being able to create what one wants; either directly through the quality of the device OR indirectly through aesthetic and functional appeal.

if you think megapixels and number of features is what is needed to create art, then you have forgotten that behind every camera's viewfinder are a set of eyes and a brain which are also connected to the sense of sight, touch, coordination, and cognition.

Meh.

Show me.

You keep going back to that "range finder usage". Big deal. Who cares? A long list of lenses... and extremely over priced at that. I have a long list of lenses at my disposal too.

... including the $178 Canon lens people around here thought was a Leica.

"if you think megapixels and number of features is what is needed to create art, [...] "

It's an orchestra. Use it... or give the brass section the night off. If you think colour stopped at Brahms, then you're pretty boring.

You keep going back to that "range finder usage". Big deal. Who cares?

Well, those who care.

A key enabler for my art is to be able to quickly assess and access framing and focusing. Not just one of the functions, but framing while focusing, focusing while framing. I have not found a system that does this better for me than a rangefinder camera, and I try everything I can get my hands on.

This dicussion is taking ridicoulous proportions

Point is that there are as many tastes and likes as there are people. People that like whet Leica has to offer are willing to pay the price the market demands, and are even very happy to do so. Of all camera forums, this forum must have the lowest rate of complaints about equipment prices being too high.

That should set you thinking...

Are we all rich fools that do not know how to spend their money?

Or is it some value we see that other people don't see in the M?

Let's agree to disagree and go take some pictures!

My Leica M8 with 35 2.0 ASPH still beats my D800 with his 36 MP sensor.

Unbelieveable!!!

I'm thinking to sell the Nikon gear but thats a waste of good money!!!

It's just Leica for the last 2 months but that is I think because of getting into the new rangefinderworld instead of imagequality.

You just can' compare the two camara's. What I like is the fast workflow with my M8.

Keep in mind that also with an M, files are way too large.

You don't need 24 or 36 megapixels. These files slow's me down on my iMac using iPhoto and Arperture!

Cheers,

Theo

People that like whet Leica has to offer are willing to pay the price the market demands, and are even very happy to do so.

Yes, we have to pay the prices the market demands, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm "even very happy to do so."

Well, those who care.

A key enabler for my art is to be able to quickly assess and access framing and focusing. Not just one of the functions, but framing while focusing, focusing while framing. I have not found a system that does this better for me than a rangefinder camera, and I try everything I can get my hands on.

This is a good point. For me, because I shoot a lot of macro, the rangefinder wouldn't suit me. Yes, I know there's a mechanism that can be attached to the camera but then, the slr size and weight argument is out the window. I also like to do some video work. I like the freedom to be able to choose.

Are we all rich fools that do not know how to spend their money?

Let's agree to disagree and go take some pictures!

An excellent question

An even better resolution.

This dicussion is taking ridicoulous proportions

agreed.

Edited by iedei

Meh.

Show me.

You keep going back to that "range finder usage". Big deal. Who cares? A long list of lenses... and extremely over priced at that. I have a long list of lenses at my disposal too.

... including the $178 Canon lens people around here thought was a Leica.

"if you think megapixels and number of features is what is needed to create art, [...] "

It's an orchestra. Use it... or give the brass section the night off. If you think colour stopped at Brahms, then you're pretty boring.

This is hilarious....especially as you sound so angry. Don't worry kid *pats sfage on the shoulder*. You're Canikon is good too. Feel better? lol...

Dear friends, I am a first voyage sailorman with my new M8 and the problem involving the use of UV/IR filters. My doubts resume as it follows:

1 - For shooting B/W only, do I need these filters?

2 - What kind of filter I need to buy? That common UV filters will do the job? Or I really need a UV/IR filter? So, the Leica ones are very expensive. Do you know about good japanese ones, like Hoya? Thanks a lot.

Hi Carlos, my understanding is that you do not need the filters for Back and White pictures.

Common UV filters are not the same thing, it does need to be UV/IR filters, there are numerous secondhand UV/IR filters around,(they are only needed for the M8 and 8.2) far cheaper than what Leica ask for new ones.

B+W also make them, possibly cheaper than Leica.

One final tip, register your camera serial number on the Leica Owners website, you might get lucky and be able to claim two free filters if the previous owner/s didn't bother to do so.

No doubt others can give more accurate information about pacific aspects of the M8

cheers Rob

Or I really need a UV/IR filter? So, the Leica ones are very expensive. Do you know about good japanese ones, like Hoya? Thanks a lot.

Yes you do. I would try Rocolax filters.