Leica M8 is a good Buy?

anonimo2003

You're welcome. The most noticeable difference is in zooming out to max on the LCD to check focus... the M8 starts very pixellated and can take as long as 2 seconds to resolve the image. The M9 is instantaneous in its rendering all the way to the highest magnification.

The rest is sort of like recognizing on some level that a web page is taking longer to load than usual. The delay may be short, but you recognize that the operation just isn't as fast.

Hello to all' date='

I wanted to ask a few questions on Leica M8, it is still up to date?

You think it is a good buy? My indecision is with a Canon EOS 5D Mark II ...

My main problem was that the heaviness of the outfit bring me back to take pictures especially on vacation and traveling around the city ..... 24-70? and 70/200? and the 85mm? Well maybe I do that kind of pictures ... and so too many pounds! I wanted a decent goal handyman cotruzione / image quality and 24/105 f4 canon seemed the right choice then coupled to the FF 5D mark II I looked great for 90% of the situations, and then I was tempted ... and a leica? ? small manageable, I certainly have not the zoom, fixed lenses ... but only Cartier Bresson has photographed all his life with only one focal ... and considering that my kind of photos are landscape, portraits and photos in the city (street photo) ....

Some hang around one side to the other ... more[/quote']

All the comments are correct - but I like to give you the most important point - it is so much fun!

Creativity is great compared to my other digital bodies.

I would try to find one that has been upgraded with the frame line mask from the M8.2. The original M8 frame line mask, frames very inaccurately. This was one of the main complaints about the M8 when it came out, but was rectified in the M8.2

I have owned both M8, 5D2. (now have upgraded both)

Wether M8 is a "good buy" depends on a lot of factors:

- it is still capable of some VERY good quality pictures. Especially with Lightroom 4 and its raw processing and noise reduction software.

- it is "only" 10 Mpx, which is low at todays standards, but keep in mind that Leica files can be enlarged to a much higher degree compared to Canon files, because of the lack of AA filter and the access to superior lenses. (canon 24-105 is a dog of a lens, I had one and hated every bit of it).

- Price: the M8 was incredibly expensive when new, so be aware of sellers who think their M8 still hold their value. I would not pay more than $1200 for a mint M8. If you are looking at a M8.2 then add a couple of hundred (its quieter and has a harder screen glass thats about it).

- Lenses: In order to get the most out of a M8 you really need to shoot Leica glass - in my opinion. being that then M8 is "almost full frame", if you want a normal lens you need to get a 35mm. If you are a wide angle fanatic, then it can get quite expensive to own a M8 since you need to go much wider than "necessary". If you are a normal lens fan, then no problem. I loved my 35 cron on my M8. The 35 summarit is also very good but its half a stop slower, which matters because....

- ISO. That is the real drawback in my opinion. It only goes to Iso 1250 which isnt really enough for indoor shooting even with a F2 lens. So if you do a LOT of indoor shooting and dont want to use a flash, then the M8 is not the best camera. But at ISO 320 and below: WOW.

To put it this way: If I come across a M8 at a good price, (that means less than $1000) I would strongly consider it as a companion to my M9 (and future M240).

OR. How about waiting a year or so until M240´s are in good supply, maybe the M9 has come down to a decent level. (M9 is my all-time favorite camera, film or digital, any format, any brand)

good luck!

PS. Do not forget the "magic" that a fully manual leica brings to your photography. The camera may be inferior on the paper, but the enjoyment of manual rangefinder photography, the intimacy, the immediacy of the instant shutter.... that is something canon or the other japanese brands can shoot a long white arrow after (yes even the fuji).

Edited by skinnfell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... but only Cartier Bresson has photographed all his life with only one focal ... and considering that my kind of photos are landscape, portraits and photos in the city (street photo) ....Some hang around one side to the other ... more

HCB mainly shot with a 50, but by his own admission he also used a 35 and sometimes a 90...

But I get your point.

Edited by thrid

Hard to find one with warranty since those LCD problems though.

Any reputable dealer should offer a warranty. They still can't repair the LCD but would have to replace the camera or offer a refund if it were faulty. It provides the owner with other options as well as the 'upgrade'.

HCB mainly shot with a 50, but by his own admission he also used a 35 and sometimes a 90...

But I get your point.

Correct. And as well as only ever using one lens, HCB never cropped his photos, apart from the ones which were cropped. He also only ever took one shot - the decisive moment. The other 6+ frames he'd take were simply for practice.

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 3

Skinfell sums it up right.

M8 uses a rangefinder and the joy of using that makes all comparison with a DSLR in a way senseless. IMHO it makes about as much sense comparing a motorcycle with a car.... One will never have what the other has and vice versa.

M8 + 'cheap' wide lens like 35 Elmarit or 40C Summicron is able to take stunning pictures, rivaling the quality of M9 files in sharpness.

The main condition is that there is enough light available to use ISO 160 or ISO 320.

Bear in mind that you will be using the M8 with F2.0 or larger opening mostly, and the M system allows you to lower the shutter to 1/15 or even 1/8.

On a DSLR shutter time typically needs to be set to 1/30 or above and with a standard zoom of F4.0 this means that you need to set the DSLR ISO to 3 stop values higher.

So the D600 for example will need to compete with ISO set to 1250 or 2500 tin the same light conditions where you can leave the M8 on 160 or 320 :eek:

You could argue that buying a F2.8 zoom will give back one stop to the DSLR, but with the extra money spent on that you could also get a used F1.4 Leica lens on your M8

Only when used with a F2.0 or F.1.8 prime the DSLR will be able to operate on 320 or 640 ISO, and most DSLR users I know do not like to limit themselves to fixed focal length.

I do not think any DSLR operating at ISO 1250 will be able match the dynamic range of the M8 at ISO 160.

...The main condition is that there is enough light available to use ISO 160 or ISO 320...

No problem with 640 iso on my M8.2 and Capture One, i don't even need additional noise reduction. F/2 is not always enough indoor but f/1.4 is perfect if 1/25s to 1/100s are not too slow speeds for you.

I would add that most if not all UK dealers generally offer a 3-12 month guarantee on used equipment, unless an item is specifically 'sold as seen' - one also has their consumer rights to fall back on in the event of a problem.

I think buying an M8 (or any expensive digital camera) is too much of a risk not to have some kind of come back.

No problem with 640 iso on my M8.2 and Capture One, i don't even need additional noise reduction. F/2 is not always enough indoor but f/1.4 is perfect if 1/25s to 1/100s are not too slow speeds for you.

My point was not to say 640 is not usable on the M8. When I have I use ISO 640 , but then you do not really have the optimum quality and dynamic range as with 160 IMO. In B&W the M8 can even produce nice results up to 1250 or even 1600 ISO.

I learned that one of the things you must really take into consideration with an M8 is that it can kill your desire to constantly upgrade, it has saved me many $1000s.

You know the kind of thing, you start thinking of an M9 but realise you're getting bigger files but often very similar IQ

Nikon D800 much bigger files but no lenses to equal Leica and on it goes - so be prepared to be depressed all the time. :)

My 16th year doing photography.

I've had my M8.2 (same sensor as M8), a year and half.

I've used canon G5, 10d, 5d, 5dII, 7d, 1dmk4. Nothing can't compare to the feel of Leica files.

Noise level above iso 640 sucks.

Wrinting speed/LCD preview time also sucks.

but this 6/7 years old sensor creates beautiful files, mainly thanks to the lens.

If you're into photography rather than photographic gear, get Leica.

I still use 1dmk4 for wide landscape and birding though :)

• Like 1

- Price: the M8 was incredibly expensive when new, so be aware of sellers who think their M8 still hold their value. I would not pay more than $1200 for a mint M8. If you are looking at a M8.2 then add a couple of hundred (its quieter and has a harder screen glass thats about it).

no. you're pricing is waaaaaaaaaay off and you're giving out bad advice, really.

pricing is between $1600 and $2400 for nearly all M8s on sale.....ranging from the heavily used all the way to mint. M8.2s still carry a premium, obviously.

Edited by iedei