Anyone know Gumtree.com?

paul6001

Kind of a UK-based Craig's List, only with fairly astonishing prices for Leica gear. Right now, two independent sellers have list two M9s in excellent condition for about 1400 pounds ($2200) each. Nice, if it's real.

I'd say they are real, but where did the cameras come from? At £1,400 for a body I'd say you would be meeting in a carpark to do the 'deal'! :eek:

Kind of a UK-based Craig's List, only with fairly astonishing prices for Leica gear. Right now, two independent sellers have list two M9s in excellent condition for about 1400 pounds ($2200) each. Nice, if it's real.

...oh dear - are your alarm bells not ringing, paul6001?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have seen a number of Leica items on Gumtree at stupid prices, often based in the country extremes like fife.

I have seen four Noctilux f1.0 all below £2,000, 35 Summilux's for few hundreds and an M9's with a handful of actuations for £1,100........

Don't waste your time here, these must be stolen, it takes 5 minutes to google ebay or other to check prices, the chances of finding an uneducated seller that's asking 50% of value or less as about as likely as winning the lottery.

Shame I fancied a mint f1 Noctilux for £1,950 :cool:

Be very wary of Gumtree. It's constantly a source of fraud and I understand that one of the favourite tricks is to attract would-be buyers to meet and exchange cash in person and then relieve the buyer of his wallet and other valuables with the help of a couple of accomplices. Typically the goods never existed and the photos of them were stolen.

Having said that, however, I bought my 35 Summicron v4 through Gumtree for a fair price because the seller agreed to meet me in the foyer of his local police station. If he'd refused then he'd still have the lens. He turned out to be a professional photographer and we ended up having an interesting chat over a couple of beers.

Caveat emptor!

Pete.

• Like 1

I have had no problems with it except for one attempted and obvious fraud which was easily ignored (you know, the one about the marine engineer who was currently at sea and wanted a friend to pay for it with Paypal etc?). Its no better and no worse than other online sales sites. The usual precautions apply. Use it for local sales and purchases only. If you are a buyer and the deal seems too good to be true, its probably a fraud. If you are a seller insist on cash and a safe place for the exchange.

Having said that, however, I bought my 35 Summicron v4 through Gumtree for a fair price because the seller agreed to meet me in the foyer of his local police station. If he'd refused then he'd still have the lens. He turned out to be a professional photographer and we ended up having an interesting chat over a couple of beers.

His police station has a bar ?!?

• Like 1