Future upgrade cycles of Leica M's

macjonny1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm thinking that upgrade cycles, especially with the new nomenclature, will happen more rapidly. Perhaps with the next (type 241, 250, or whatever) we may see more incremental upgrades rather than a total overhaul every 3 years. I don't think Leica can afford to wait so long in between models, and with the naming of the Leica M they can upgrade them in smaller steps. Say perhaps a brand new sensor is out, upgrade the body! New EVF technology, maybe another upgrade model! I think this would actually stabilize prices on the new market as well if there wasn't such a large jump and time in-between model releases.

I think the opposite is the case. they need to find their way now. maybe they will carry the M-E line further for purists, so 3 parallel M lines (with the M and MM).

furthermore which is pretty much the biggest point: they cant produce enough. 11000 Ms on order just at the photokina, takes 220 workdays to produce just these orders.

the last upgrade cycle was 3 years now. I think they will either keep this 3 years or slow down and concentrate more on lenses..

after all: what else should they integrate into a rangefinder? sensor image stabilization, better sensor with 274328569 ISO noisefree, electronic framelines which work precise. takes time for them to research these technologies or make others research for them.

I think the opposite is the case. they need to find their way now. maybe they will carry the M-E line further for purists, so 3 parallel M lines (with the M and MM).

furthermore which is pretty much the biggest point: they cant produce enough. 11000 Ms on order just at the photokina, takes 220 workdays to produce just these orders.

the last upgrade cycle was 3 years now. I think they will either keep this 3 years or slow down and concentrate more on lenses..

after all: what else should they integrate into a rangefinder? sensor image stabilization, better sensor with 274328569 ISO noisefree, electronic framelines which work precise. takes time for them to research these technologies or make others research for them.

Wow didn't know that many orders through. I realize the manufacturing time but was thinking about how perhaps there may be a higher resolution sensor from CMOSIS in 1-2 years that they may change to that would necessitate few other changes to the camera. Or perhaps newer technology in EVF for example as that seems to be rapidly changing. I'm not saying I need these changes it just seems that the entire camera doesn't need to through a complete overhaul anymore if they have a stable sensor maker and the body style will remain the same. I've seen companies like Apple even who used to have major releases at less frequent intervals go through more incremental upgrades as newer parts become available.

...so what do you predict the current number of preorders is?

Does this mean if there are some 70 000 preorders at the moment, those at the end of the list will have to wait for almost four years?

after all: what else should they integrate into a rangefinder?

sensor image stabilization,

better sensor with 274328569 ISO noisefree,

electronic framelines which work precise.

takes time for them to research these technologies or make others research for them.

Yes,

yes,

yes.

More dynamic range :D :D :D

We have to hope Leica have been busy making M240's for a while. Interesting to wonder whether these are completed cameras just waiting for a final firmware load, a wipe down and packaging or whether they are still at a stage where more substantial changes could be made. The last thing they want is for the beta testing to throw up the need for a hardware change, still less a product recall after they ship.

Thinking back to the M8 release, it happened sooner than we were expecting. Whether sticking to their original timeframe would have prevented the IR filter and image ghosting problems resulting in the product recall, two free filters and 30% off a lens (which were much cheaper in those days) is anyone's guess.

Hopefully, Leica will be able to hit the ground running and ship quite a lot of cameras once it's judged ready to go. This forum is going to be one busy place.

• Like 3

when I visited Solms in November these were the numbers leica told me. from the "daily goal" board in the dressing room next to the camera manufacture it said: 50 M, 10 MM, 2 MP/M7 is the daily goal. they've been producing the M since about august, thats when they seized the M9 production.

what I dont know is whether these are the waiting lists but my dealer told me many customers were shopping crazy at the leica stand on the photokina. 25000€ orders werent so unusual.

for the photokina orders it would take 11000/50 = 220 workdays, if we assume about 22 workdays per month (just guessed...) it takes 10 months, so these orders would be done by end of may 2013.

gotta admit that I'm a bit sceptical about that info. just from the numbers it sounds a bit weird. leica sold roundabout 25000 M9/M9-P from 2009 till they seized production in 2012. not that much actually. 11000 orders from like a week would be a bit crazy, compared to the M9 statistics. (the 25000 comes from leica too. people there had to guess. I was far off at around 100.000 :rolleyes:)

We have to hope Leica have been busy making M240's for a while. Interesting to wonder whether these are completed cameras just waiting for a final firmware load, a wipe down and packaging or whether they are still at a stage where more substantial changes could be made. The last thing they want is for the beta testing to throw up the need for a hardware change, still less a product recall after they ship.

Thinking back to the M8 release, it happened sooner than we were expecting. Whether sticking to their original timeframe would have prevented the IR filter and image ghosting problems resulting in the product recall, two free filters and 30% off a lens (which were much cheaper in those days) is anyone's guess.

Hopefully, Leica will be able to hit the ground running and ship quite a lot of cameras once it's judged ready to go. This forum is going to be one busy place.

the Ms being produces when I saw it in November were complete cameras. no hardware changes to be done.

My local Leica dealer here in switzerland told me that the complete production capacity of 2013 has already been sold to preorders.

I am on the waiting list, and he states that I will have to consider myself very lucky should I receive my M240 this year but more likely in the first half of 2014.

My local Leica dealer here in switzerland told me that the complete production capacity of 2013 has already been sold to preorders.

I am on the waiting list, and he states that I will have to consider myself very lucky should I receive my M240 this year but more likely in the first half of 2014.

I think a lot of people are getting really excited about this camera and are going to have a long year of waiting...

Perhaps Leica will introduce a perpetual upgrade programme to allow users to send in their Typ 240 for upgrade to a Typ 247...

I realize you are being facetious. :)

Three years is a long time for electronic instruments. My guess is that the cpu components will be the first candidates for upgrades. Faster is better.

I am very happy that Leica decided to have the hand-grip to contain options and the grip might be a candidate for upgrades and improvements. (A CF card would be so welcome.)

Now, if I were only smart enough to hack the firmware, or if Leica would use open source.

I have to wonder why Leica priced the M240 as it is if they are already sold out for the year. What's the rule? Raise prices until sales stabilize?

• Like 1