The M240 is really taking a toll...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As many have already observed, the prices for R lenses have been rising rapidly due to demand by the M preorder crowd. Personally, I was hoping to find a 28-90 ASPH.

Well that dream has been shattered.

A 28-90 ASPH just sold for $8400 on eBay!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

They might as well make zooms long lenses in an uncoupled native M-mount if they do make new ones based on R designs. For that matter they might sell even more SLR lenses if they made Nikon F mount and Canon EOS mount lenses like Zeiss is doing. There is a demand for higher quality lenses now that DSLRs are finally approaching fine grained film performance, and many Nikon and Canon lenses are just not good enough for 24 and 36 MP sensors.

The big price hike already happened several years ago, when the film school crowd started buying R lenses to shoot movies on the Canon 7D with adapters.

I thought for a second about buying some R lenses. Then I realized that I really have all focal lengths covered and I got into the M because I didn't want to carry around these big hunkin' lenses in the first place. I mean a Noctilux is pretty big on an M. So I decided I wouldn't go down the R path.

Leave the adapter to people who already own them and buy M glass.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well someone might try to sell such a lens for this price here in the forum...

At the moment I find an ebay-offer for a quarter of the price which is cited here - not selling. I find older finished ebay offers for lower prices - not selling.

I even found an offer for a R9+DMR+28-90 Vario Elmarit Asph - not selling for less than half the price.

Accidentially I don't find the ebay-offer which was cited here.

Marketing?

If you've ever sold anything on ebay you'll understand that a sale isn't always a sale......a more extreme case was well publicised;

BBC News - Olympic torch relay: £150K eBay bid 'a hoax'

It's interesting to look for the resulting feedback from the more exceptional 'sales' - often there isn't any :confused:

• Like 1

Mike, the London UK dealer Richard C*****n has a s/h specimen on offer for £3250, which I thought was incredibly expensive, but would appear to be a snip compared with the example you cite!

Not anymore they don't ;)

They also have another which is rougher cosmetically at £1999 though apparently fine from an optical point of view.

• Like 1

The big price hike already happened several years ago' date=' when the film school crowd started buying R lenses to shoot movies on the Canon 7D with adapters.

I thought for a second about buying some R lenses. Then I realized that I really have all focal lengths covered and I got into the M because I didn't want to carry around these big hunkin' lenses in the first place. I mean a Noctilux is pretty big on an M. So I decided I wouldn't go down the R path.

Leave the adapter to people who already own them and buy M glass.[/quote']

Yep they buy the R lenses and declick the aperture ring so it floats smoothly like a Cine lens. I don't expect the prices to go higher, maybe initially but they will drop back just like the M lens inflation has dropped.

• Like 1

World wide economic difficulties have greatly influenced all prices for the time being as well as the Winter season which can lower demand. Just wait until the M starts delivering and these prices today might look lower, other than the over the top bidding prices.

Guess it's time to dust off my 28-90 and 35-70/2.8.

It will be interesting to see just how usable the EVF is. If the refresh rate is too low or it strobes too much it will be difficult to capture fast action. Sharpness will also be a factor for focusing, although there probably will be a zoom function.

I don't expect it to be as usable as a Viso with a 90 / 135mm head for action work, but it should be a lot more flexible in terms of lenses that will work with it and great for still life work.

The new M will not limit slr lenses to Leica R only. There is a world of glass available that can be adapted, practically anything can be used. The Nikon 14-24mm can be adapted to the M9 and with a little practice guesstimate focusing yields good results, make that outstanding results. Nikon glass is not R glass but the R lenses are older designs and in many ways the newer lenses have qualities that surpass it. Btw- with the 14-24mm on the M9, the body hangs off the lens just as a dslr might hang off a 300mm f2.8. After using this combination it'a a pleasure to return to the smaller M lenses and use the M9 as it's intended.... the only reason I mention this is that most zooms are going to be larger than what we normally handle with the M cameras and the form factor changes, something to be aware of.

It will be interesting to see just how usable the EVF is. If the refresh rate is too low or it strobes too much it will be difficult to capture fast action. Sharpness will also be a factor for focusing, although there probably will be a zoom function.

I don't expect it to be as usable as a Viso with a 90 / 135mm head for action work, but it should be a lot more flexible in terms of lenses that will work with it and great for still life work.

Maybe you could have the best of both worlds, something similar to this, but with the M240. :D

I also have the EVF that fits on the Leica M240 and Olympus E-P2.

The E-P2 is considerably thinner than my M9 and the EVF doesn't protrude forward of the E-P2. :)

I may well buy a new M once I've had a good chance to look at the output, but the thought of sticking a huge great zoom lens on an M camera is anathema to me.

I agree. :)

However, sticking a small M camera on a big lens can be very useful for certain purposes! :D

The most I have ever carried such a contraption was about a couple of miles. :eek:

• Like 1