Canon EOS M

Angora

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I’m on the market for a P&S toy camera, for non-serious shots.

Up to now I’ve been using Canon Ixus cameras, they have a nice finish and form factor but sometimes I got quite frustrated by the total lack of control. After considering the S110, I’ve decided I wanted to try the new small mirrorless cameras – maybe they can also be a good intermediate solution, after all.

I’ve got my R lenses lying around, and also a Canon 100mm macro.

Initially, I thought about getting an Olympus Pen Mini, since it would take my R lenses and I also envisionned getting the 4/3 Panaleica 25mm that has an aperture ring, which I would then fit on a 4/3-to-µ4/3 adapter. But it seems the ring would only work on a specific, older Panasonic camera.

I see there are µ4/3 Cosina lenses with a ring, but I’m neither willing to invest 1000€+ in such lens nor willing to use manual focus on that kind of system (aside from my Leica lenses, that is).

I’m now strongly leaning towards a Canon EOS M, which would smoothly take my macro from the same brand with an EF-to-EFM adapter, and also my R lenses (through an R-to-EF-to-EFM combination). That camera’s finish looks good and as a bonus features an APS-C sensor. There are only two lenses in the EOS M line up, and they’re said to be slow, but I’m okay with that. It’s not as if I were coming from an « ultrafast over 9000 AF points » camera anyways.

What do you think? Any opinion about this EOS M? :)

I looked at it but then went Sony NEX-6 instead. For only a $100 more it had faster autofocus, a built-in EVF and WAY better video. There's also an EOS to Sony smart adapter that lets you electronically control aperture on the Canon lenses just like it was a native lens.

I looked at it but then went Sony NEX-6 instead. For only a $100 more it had faster autofocus, a built-in EVF and WAY better video. There's also an EOS to Sony smart adapter that lets you electronically control aperture on the Canon lenses just like it was a native lens.

Oh I didn't know there were EOS-NEX adapters, that's good to know, thanks.

From what I'm reading they don't offer autofocus though, so I guess that'll be a drawback for me who isn't shooting video.

Oh I didn't know there were EOS-NEX adapters, that's good to know, thanks.

From what I'm reading they don't offer autofocus though, so I guess that'll be a drawback for me who isn't shooting video.

Well this EF to Nex adapter supports what they say is "slow" AF. But it also is a reverse tele-extender that uses almost all of the len's view and also gives you an extra stop of light.

Metabones announces 'Speed Booster' lens adapter for mirrorless cameras: Digital Photography Review

Edited by AlanG

Well this EF to Nex adapter supports what they say is "slow" AF. But it also is a reverse tele-extender that uses almost all of the len's view and also gives you an extra stop of light.

Metabones announces 'Speed Booster' lens adapter for mirrorless cameras: Digital Photography Review

Mhh then I'd rather wait ab it for the next iteration of the EOS M and get a proper AF, since going through Sony + 3rd party won't get me a satisfactory solution.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mhh then I'd rather wait ab it for the next iteration of the EOS M and get a proper AF, since going through Sony + 3rd party won't get me a satisfactory solution.

I thought you said you wanted to use R lenses on it and only have one Canon lens. They will work with an R to EOS adapter and then this thing. You will get the full field of view and gain a stop. You can also use a cheap adapter and get magnification out of the full frame lenses. There are a lot of lenses out for the Nex now. (Sony and third party.) The Nex has focus peaking and magnified view through a good EVF. This will really help with MF lenses.

I waited for Canon to make something comparable to the Nex 7 and when the M came out I was very disappointed. Fortunately, the Nex 6 with the compact 16-50 was just what I needed and having compatibility with EF lenses was not a priority. From what I've read the Canon M has sluggish AF so you'll have to hope that it is improved in a future model... whenever that may be. Whereas the Nex 6 has a fairly fast (for mirrorless) hybrid AF.

But if you are content to wait, maybe Canon will make what you need.

Edited by AlanG

I waited for Canon to make something comparable to the Nex 7 and when the M came out I was very disappointed.

A Canon version of the Nex 7 would have been very cool. I hope the next EOS M has a built-in viewfinder and much faster autofocus.

I thought you said you wanted to use R lenses on it and only have one Canon lens. They will work with an R to EOS adapter and then this thing. You will get the full field of view and gain a stop. You can also use a cheap adapter and get magnification out of the full frame lenses. There are a lot of lenses out for the Nex now. (Sony and third party.) The Nex has focus peaking and magnified view through a good EVF. This will really help with MF lenses.

I waited for Canon to make something comparable to the Nex 7 and when the M came out I was very disappointed. Fortunately, the Nex 6 with the compact 16-50 was just what I needed and having compatibility with EF lenses was not a priority. From what I've read the Canon M has sluggish AF so you'll have to hope that it is improved in a future model... whenever that may be. Whereas the Nex 6 has a fairly fast (for mirrorless) hybrid AF.

But if you are content to wait, maybe Canon will make what you need.

Indeed Alan, I have just one Canon lens, and would use R lenses as well as the manufacturer's one.

However since I wouldn't consider this as my main camera, I'd mostly use the AF lenses and only sometimes the R ones (probably at infinity). I should have specified that, sorry for the confusion.

Therefore focus peaking and related features which would enhance the manual focusing experience are secondary. On the other hand, a properly implemented AF would matter more... that's why both this slow adapter and the slow EOS M aren't the happiest choices. If there were no EOS M(kII) in the pipelines, I'd probably go with the slow body with tangible hopes of firmware updates. But since there are credible rumours of a not so far away upgrade, and since I'm not in a hurry either, I guess I'll wait for some time.

I do agree that the NEX series should be considered by someone who's seriously into mirrorless, the reviews I've read all praise their performances.

Indeed Alan, I have just one Canon lens, and would use R lenses as well as the manufacturer's one.

However since I wouldn't consider this as my main camera, I'd mostly use the AF lenses and only sometimes the R ones (probably at infinity). I should have specified that, sorry for the confusion.

Therefore focus peaking and related features which would enhance the manual focusing experience are secondary. On the other hand, a properly implemented AF would matter more... that's why both this slow adapter and the slow EOS M aren't the happiest choices. If there were no EOS M(kII) in the pipelines, I'd probably go with the slow body with tangible hopes of firmware updates. But since there are credible rumours of a not so far away upgrade, and since I'm not in a hurry either, I guess I'll wait for some time.

I do agree that the NEX series should be considered by someone who's seriously into mirrorless, the reviews I've read all praise their performances.

I think I am pretty confused by all of this. If you only have one EF lens then AF speed with this one lens on a secondary body does not seem that important to you. So why not just buy whatever compact mirrorless system you like best? Several are touting their AF speed but I have not compared them.

I guess I'm trying to understand what is so special about the EOS M to appeal to you. It seems very blah to me. Of course there is hope that the next one will be better and it may have AF on the sensor to speed things up. But any brand's next model is probably going to be better too.

Edited by AlanG

I think I am pretty confused by all of this. If you only have one EF lens then AF speed with this one lens on a secondary body does not seem that important to you. So why not just buy whatever compact mirrorless system you like best? Several are touting their AF speed but I have not compared them.

I guess I'm trying to understand what is so special about the EOS M to appeal to you. It seems very blah to me. Of course there is hope that the next one will be better and it may have AF on the sensor to speed things up. But any brand's next model is probably going to be better too.

Ha ha. Yes, AF speed definitely isn't a priority to me; however if I can (relatively) soon get a camera that – speed wise – makes the most of my lens and provides me with a better experience, I shan't overlook that benefit and ought to wait a bit.

As for the EOS M system, it's definitely not the most complete and optimised mirrorless kit, for sure. However as it's from Canon, I have a relatively good assurance that my one Canon lens will work seamlessly. I privilegiate vendor solutions to 3rd party ones, when it comes to lenses (except in cases like the R line of lenses), especially when electronics is involved.

Of course I could forego that lonely Canon lens of mine and look towards the NEXes, but since the EOS M system looks overall quite appropriate to my needs, I feel like sticking with it. Not an ultimate mirrorless system but I guess it falls into my comfort zone.

According to the current Canon CEO the EOS M has not sold anything like as well as they anticipated across Europe, but has been ok in Asia . I'm not surprised, I thought it was a major disappointment, given the far superior offerings from Fuji, Sony etc at the time. The styling is poor, and I can't think why they omitted a viewfinder. I was also unable to get a definitive answer as to wether or not the focal length of my EFS lenses would be affected if I used them via the official adapter, ie would my 17-55 f2.8 fitted to the EOS M with an apsc sensor remain that size, or suffer some additional crop, with the lens being moved away from the body. It seemed clearer for the EF lenses, whereby they thought they would be the same as if they were just fitted onto a SLR with an apsc sensor fitted, ie 30/40 d etc, with a 1.6 crop

Forums seems to indicate an update early this year, and it will have a viewfinder of some sort, but I think the styling is still way off considering the competition. Considering Canons global budget I think it fell far short of expectations at several levels.

According to the current Canon CEO the EOS M has not sold anything like as well as they anticipated across Europe, but has been ok in Asia . I'm not surprised, I thought it was a major disappointment, given the far superior offerings from Fuji, Sony etc at the time. The styling is poor, and I can't think why they omitted a viewfinder. I was also unable to get a definitive answer as to wether or not the focal length of my EFS lenses would be affected if I used them via the official adapter, ie would my 17-55 f2.8 fitted to the EOS M with an apsc sensor remain that size, or suffer some additional crop, with the lens being moved away from the body. It seemed clearer for the EF lenses, whereby they thought they would be the same as if they were just fitted onto a SLR with an apsc sensor fitted, ie 30/40 d etc, with a 1.6 crop

Forums seems to indicate an update early this year, and it will have a viewfinder of some sort, but I think the styling is still way off considering the competition. Considering Canons global budget I think it fell far short of expectations at several levels.

What do you find wrong with the design? It looks pretty okay to me, albeit too Ixus-ish in comparison to the sleek, aluminium styling of the competition.

That's in line with their target users though, I recall this EOS M was supposed to be aimed at P&S users, i.e. beginners for most of them. Which would also explain why they didn't include an EVF, probably betting on the fact that these people would only use the back screen anyways.

And that makes sense. IMHO what deterred most people was primarily the slow AF, and the bad corporate communication which failed to properly address (1) that AF issue and (2) lens compatibility matters like yours.

I think it looks like a toy personally, which isn't reflected in the price. I think considering it was designed to be used with some of the best glass available in the form of the L series lenses, it needs to have something more about it, wether that's more obvious metal components or perhaps more retro styling .I know styling by its very nature is very personal, but they missed an opportunity. The Fuji X100 sold in bucket loads, which I know isn't a system camera, but ability and styling combined created a winner, and the Fuji X Pro 1 seems to have been well received. It's not a million miles different from the new Canon N series, which I fear might suffer the same problems, as it looks as if an iPhone might get near result wise. I'm a Canon fan, which is why I'm disappointed. I'd certainly wait for the imminent second offering before handing over my money, or wait for the obvious price drop that will follow, just as Nikon have done with their J and V series with version 2 having arrived.

You know I have been looking at the eos m as a backup camera and it would fit very nicely with my 24TS which will make it a 38mm, just a bit longer than my 'perfect' lens the 35mm. With adapters it will take all my ef lenses. So AF is slow, but so is the X1 which I have used a lot in the past two years. Image quality is great and with that little f2 35mm lens equivalent and an optical viewfinder, maybe the Leica X1's, it could be a great little camera that can nicely fit in with a Canon system...my suggestion is take at for a spin and see how 'slow' the af really is...and being a canon there should be no quality issues. Personally I have not decided yet what to get to supplement my 5d2...I have a 20d thats still working perfectly with very smooth files...and my 5d32 has not given me a minutes trouble in the last 3years...the new fuji x100S seems to be a gem of a camera though....

i, personally, dont find the EOS M to be attractive. Despite my owning a 5D2 and various lens (24-105, 70-200, etc), putting it on that little body is hardly a balancing act. IQ produces by the EOS M is not that awe inspiring either, the design itself is too plasticky for my taste. the only point i would give it is as a backup camera to the DSLR system, it's small, light, and doesnt add much weight to a DSLR bag anyway.

I'd just wait a bit, Canon are capable of far far better than this current M offering. They may just be a bit behind where they wanted to be, which I've heard suggested may have been a result of the radiation leak that you may recall that set back a lot of Japanese manufacture and research and development.

The fuji X100 was good, but as has been pointed out the recently released "S" version is a "little gem" . Better is on its way from Canon, I can't help but think they were desperate to at least release something as they were lagging behind, but they should have waited and worked on something else.