Leica Apo-Summicron-M 2/50 APSH

jc_braconi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On friday I had in hand the new Leica Apo-Summicron-M 2/50 APSH. at Nice France Leica Dealer ARTA PHOTO.

I used it for trial with an M9-P, the lens is very compact and easy to use, the results were as I can appreciate very succesfull even at f:2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jc_braconi
  • Like 5

The bad points of this lens are the focusing throw (which is way too short to support quick and accurate focusing) and the stupid built-in hood (which is nicely executed but way too short to be useful).

Optical performance, of course, is just excellent ... provided you get it focused at where you intended to.

• Like 1

The hope has to be that the M240 will allow more accurate focussing through the use of Live View, with or without the EVF. Stick to the optical rangefinder and you are in the same position as the M9-P.

Having used quite a bit Leica lenses on NEX-5N, NEX-7, and now also on OM-D E-M5 that's what I think as well, certainly for stationary objects. For moving objects I hope focus peaking is of help and competitive with the rangefinder. On a tripod I use magnification most often as a useful tool.

We'll see. Until then I'll try to keep an open mind! :D

BTW, I by far prefer using the EVF over the LCD, even on a tripod.

The EVF has definite advantages.

It shows the same panels as the LCD.

One can hold the camera more steadily.

And it has an superb diopter adjustment for my dominant left eye.

I seem to be able to get pretty close to 20/20 vision with the correct setting.

So, I can shoot without glasses. :)

Edited by k-hawinkler
  • Like 2

As much as I would really love to own one of these, I petty much blew my slush fund on the MM. I told the wife what it cost and how I was paying for it. I know I know but it's better to have a good offense rather than a bad defense later. I have alwasy had luck by confessing that I sold something to buy something....hmmm:rolleyes:

I just don't get all that "this lens cannot be focused using the rangefinder" talk. When I tried the Noctilux 0.95/50 at full aperture for portrait shots using an M9-P, i.e. at distances close to or at the minimum focusing distance, I could nail the focus shot by shot. Given the very large full aperture of this lens and the correspondingly shallow DOF, I was at the time surprised at how easy to focus the Noctilux was. Now please do not tell me the new Summicron is more difficult to focus, I just can't believe that. BTW, when trying the Noctilux, I also had a chance to use the new Summicron, and found it to focus more or less the same way as my own non-asph Summicron 50.

Andy

• Like 4

I just don't get all that "this lens cannot be focused using the rangefinder" talk.

I'm in agreement with this. If I can focus the Summilux 50 Asph. OK wide open (which I can), then I don't see what the fuss is all about on this new Summicron.....

• Like 1

There is a huge difference in how lenses renders the transition between sharp and unsharp, some very sharp lenses has a very abrupt transition in the zone where the sharpness disappears or dissolves even wide open, I'm talking about depth of focus here (Not depth of field!)

This makes nailing focus a must for such lenses.

Example are Noct-Nikkor, APO Lanthar 125mm 2.5

This is very desirable for some types of images but definitely not all types of work, stop the lens down for some more depth of focus and depth of field will mask it when needed.

The current 50 Summicron has about 115 deg of focus throw and I find it perfect for that lens...

I agree that there is a noticeable difference in how easy it is to focus similar FL and max aperture lenses on rangefinders.

This isn't intended to be inflammatory, so please don't take it that way.

I'd love to have one of these lenses, and I may buy one when available, but I was curious why people want it? I already have the Summicron, Summilux and Noctilux (I have a bit of a problem with 50mm lenses). I'm attracted to the new lens mostly because I think it's a stunning optical achievement. I don't really have complains about the sharpness or falloff of my lenses, I use the f/2 when I want lightweight, the f/1.4 when I need a bit of speed and the Noctilux when nothing else will do the job. The Cron and the Lux have a different character that I like.

Thanks!

-jbl

• Like 2