Silver Efex special effects and Monochrom

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Call it kitsch, but actually I think some SE special effects are rather nice. Please post your ideas on the subject. This is antique plate II with border 11

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I sometimes run through them to see if the base 'look'of the image is a good starting point, then knock off the grain, border, and toning effects etc. leaving the filters contrast and tonal range to work with. And sometimes the vignetting can be good and more naturally random than I might envisage it myself.

I know the effects presets have a lot of commercial applications and are good for people who want to do something different, but I think the value for me lies in using them as a jumping off point even if the image doesn't look like the original filter preset for very long. This one for instance started as 'Noir 1'

8260243889_5fafb611b9_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nope - just playing around :)Iwould never print it.

In a world where everybody has a PC type device there isn't much need too ;) Neither is there any need to think experimentation is to be looked down upon, if only more people explored the realm they are in and learned the rules well enough to know how to break them.

Steve

• Like 2

For anyone with an iPhone I can recommend the free Alt Photo App. It's made by the same people who did the Alien Skin Exposure plug in that I use in Photoshop.

Details here - Alt Photo iPhone App

There are colour options, but I tend to use the black and white ones the most.

For me the advantage that it has over something like Hipstamatic is that you can review, and apply, the various options _after_ you've take the photograph rather than being forced to decide before it's taken.

Here are three I made this afternoon...

• Like 2

seen yesterday in Dallas

Set to vintage plate2 and a bit of frame

• 3 weeks later...

Can't help it, but I keep coming back to that “Arrivals and Departures” thing from Jacob Aue Sobol. Anybody out there who has a clue what he (or whoever) exactly did (more or less) when post processing these images?

By the way, I don't call it kitsch. We all have the freedom to do what we want. Period.

Edited by reis

• 1 month later...

Jaap - great thread, and I am totally with you. I took the following image at Uxmal in the Yucatan a week or so ago. It seemed perfect to use an "ancient" preset... until you notice there are people standing with digital cameras in their hands!

• Like 1

I like the variation and experimentation demonstrated here. But, with tongue firmly in cheek, am I the only one to find it amusing that after Leica goes through a huge amount of effort to reduce vignetting in their lenses we put it back with a click? :)

?.......after Leica goes through a huge amount of effort to reduce vignetting in their lenses we put it back....

Nothing new there. There is a marked difference in using presets for instant gratification, where it does nothing to improve an already poor image, and experimenting and learning how to use them creatively as a starting point, similar to the way we used to make work prints in the darkroom.

What the camera firmware developer had in mind is not something I would waste much of my time pondering on.

Edited by honcho

Lens design has nearly always been about removing aberrations of one sort or another, to make perfection, to create a level playing field. The games that people play on that playing field are not necessarily meant to reflect what the lens scientist had in mind, but reflect what the artist has in mind.

But the presets in Silver Efex are in many ways a self educating system. You try an image with one and it looks great, you try a different image with the same preset and it looks horrible. You soon work out that the images being fed in are not the same exposure, or have the same contrast range, so make adjustments in Efex, and those adjustments give more ideas, and before you know it you get straight to the image you want without the preset as a starting point. But every now and again, as Jaap originally pointed out, a preset just 'gets it', it hits a nerve and makes you see something different. So 'Hail the Preset', it is a good device to shake up the mind.

Steve

recently, I shot a wedding as the unofficial photographer. A new experience for me! Usually I am the one. Twelve hours and much alcohol later, I ended up at a friends apartment. There was a beautiful blonde there and I had my Leica 111f with some film left in it. I was too tired to focus. actually, my eyes just wouldn't work but I couldn't restrain myself from reflexive impulses, so I shot her.

Of course, the pics were OOF, but I really liked the images so I SFX'd them. Here is a sample of how I reckon they were saved from 'straight oblivion' to 'interesting images'.

Bit of manual vignette ans sepia in SFX and........ voila!

Nice image Jaap. Who pee'd on it? :D

I find it funny that back in the 60's we were desperately trying to find lenses that wouldn't vignette, weren't soft in the corners, had a little more contrast, less grain (panatomic X was the rage for many) and buying products that would get all the hypo out faster.

My favorite deformity (if you will) is the vignette. There aren't many images I can't improve with a tad of vignette. Wish I was better at the toning that some of you seem to get but mine always looks phony?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tanks

My favorite deformity (if you will) is the vignette. There aren't many images I can't improve with a tad of vignette...

I know what you mean. I have been playing around a bit with that feature. The image below is a bit overdone though I think.