First M240 RAW files released.

JCharlton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

O, buy the M! You are only getting rid of fiat paper, which is a 40 year experiment that seems to be failing now. Own something NICE like the new M, and even keep your M9. That's what I intend. Long term a much better value than fiat paper money, which is in fact worthless, or will be.

It is moire, but this is the kind of situation that is really predestined for moire. I see it in the M9 raw too, but more so in the roof tile. The increased resolution brings out moire in different areas of the picture. I still prefer it over an AA filter, but for fashion type photography (especially men's suits) this can be problematic.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Plasticky or not?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Honestly, no matter what format, when you stare at it long enough all color photography looks plasticky, even film. It happens to me when I prepare a photograph for printing. After a while I just don't know anymore. When in doubt, I always go with less contrast and more tonality. As my friend, who is a great photographer and excellent black and white printer, always says: "There is no black or white in nature."

This helps me steer clear of all this crushed digital stuff that is flooding the market these days.

CQ Dr. Ulrich Rohde -

Thank so very much for providing your DNG files. I recognized your name instantly the first time these photos were posted here on the LUF. I think I have a QSL card from you buried in a box somewhere.

I hope you are able to comment here. The irascible LUF forum members really are pretty decent, but I would understand if you don't have an interest to ever post here.

I for one would welcome you and extend an apology from us to you for some of the QRM made here. Looking forward to your posts...

Rick - N7LHK

• Like 6

The image of the flower vase with the MacBook on the table has nice colors a little cold but can you point out to me what is in sharp focus, maybe it's my iPad but I don't see any real sharp area?

There will be no coldness if you adjust the white balance. Download the DNG file and you will see what's in focus immediately:

Sorry guys. Downloaded the DNG files. However, I am not sure what to look for and hence unable to see if these pictures from the M are indeed superior to the M9.

Is there a way we can compare the raw files from both cameras in an apple to apple comparison?

Looks like moire.

I should've been more careful---that is indeed moire, worse than I've ever had with the M8 or M9. I hope it's just bad luck, and not that this camera is going to be appreciably more susceptible to it than the M9.

• Like 1

Although it comes as no surprise, these files are going to make it very hard to keep my resolve to stick with the M9 DR and colour handling seem to be significantly improved. This may well cost me an ice-cream, dessert and sarcastic post by IW - apart from the Euros for the camera...:o

I always knew you would end up getting one of these Jaap ;) Question: will you sell the M8, m9 or MM? Or have the entire contingent?

• Like 1

Here is the DNG and JPG side by side. No color correction added but sharpening set to 80 on the DNG followed by both JPG and DNG optimized to my taste and eyes. It appears to me that focus is back slightly byt the green leaves but real detail I would expect to see at 100% is absent.