Monochrom and Summilux 50 ASPH hit the ground

Guest borge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So today I managed to what I thought was impossible: I dropped my Monochrom with a Summilux 50mm ASPH 1 1/2 meters down on concrete. It was a stupid accident, and I will never ever use wrist straps again. Stupid things.

Anyway: The equipment hit the ground with the lens first. There was a loud smack when it hit the ground with the lens first. The B+W filter ring took most of the damage, it is very bent and it's impossible to get the filter off the lens. The lens hood was slightly damaged and bent as well and the rest of the equipment looks like brand new after I cleaned it. The body was protected by a leather case.

I have noticed the following symptoms:

1. The filter must be taken off somehow (it is seriously stuck).

2. The lens hood needs to be replaced.

3. The focusing ring on the lens got very stiff and uneven (especially at minimum focusing distance).

4. The lens wobbles slightly.

5. It might be my imagination, but I think the aperture clicks are a lot louder now than before.

6. The top plate of the camera body is a bit loose. If pressure is applied to it it will give in (especially towards the rear side of the body) and make creaky noises.

7. The rangefinder is totally off. It is not possible to get anything aligned in it.

I am also afraid that the lens mount could be a bit off? Is this possible? The camera hit the ground - lens first - but at an angle and not flat on it's face.

Luckily I have insurance on the camera and the lens that covers accidents like this.

I talked to my local dealer and they wanted to send the camera at a local repair shop.

I am worried that his will be a very lengthy process, and also if the repair will be up to my standards. My insurance covers repairs that make the items "as new" and if that isn't possible my insurance covers new replacement parts. What I'm naturally afraid of is if I get the equipment back in a state that is not 100% as it should be - which means a lot of back and forth, etc. Both the lens and the camera body was only five months old.

So I am considering sending the camera and lens directly back to Leica in Solms myself and paying €80 for the "Fast Repair" service. Does anyone have experience with this service? Does it include shipping or is that extra?

From the information on Leica's site I am not sure what is included in the cost and what isn't: Leica Camera AG - Service - Fast & Express Service

+1, sorry about your accident - glad you're insured. while you're waiting, why not contact alex tufte (also in norway). his monochrom is listed here for trade (m9p) or sale. maybe you can work out a deal of some sort?

good luck

rick

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, but glad you have insurance. I have not used the service, but I would not let any shop other than Leica in Solms (or New Jersey) do this work.

That's what I thought myself. A CLA at a regular service shop would be OK. But I am afraid that the lens and the camera body will need to be worked on extensively, and I at the same time I want them "matched" and calibrated together. I think that my 50 Lux always back-focused a bit on my MM.

I'll have to talk with my insurance company on monday first just to check with them how I can do this, and then call Leica customer service directly and schedule a pickup. A fast repair for €80 definitely seems worth it rather than waiting weeks and even possibly months to get the gear back in a working condition. It's my only camera and only lens.

+1, sorry about your accident - glad you're insured. while you're waiting, why not contact alex tufte (also in norway). his monochrom is listed here for trade (m9p) or sale. maybe you can work out a deal of some sort?

good luck

rick

Thanks. I'm very glad I insured it as well. I've never destroyed or damaged anything of value in my life in this way. It's was just a retarded accident that should never have happened! Extremely frustrating. I almost still can't believe it happened, because it shouldn't be possible.

I've climbed rocks with cameras, I've bicycled with cameras, I've been on small boats with cameras, etc, etc.. I've done so much stuff with my previous cameras and never been close to an accident like this... And today I just wanted to take my glove off and get a cup of coffee and the wrist strap (leather - just as my glove) "stuck" to my gloves and the camera just flew off my hands and down in the ground while I was just standing there doing nothing. Totally idiotic!

I'm not interested in buying a second MM though. One is expensive enough, and hopefully it is possible to repair it.

At a guess about 1500 Euro damage:( Standard impact damage to the lens and a cracked bodyshell, plus a compete recalibration. A local repair shop is totally useless. They won't have the parts, not the expertise. I am gobsmacked your dealer even suggested it.Just send it to Solms and it will come back better than new.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At a guess about 1500 Euro damage:( Standard impact damage to the lens and a cracked bodyshell, plus a compete recalibration. A local repair shop is totally useless. They won't have the parts, not the expertise. I am gobsmacked your dealer even suggested it.Just send it to Solms and it will come back better than new.

That's what I assumed as well. The local service shop will probably end up having to send the camera to Solms themself. Or wait for a long time to get the correct parts. Might as well skip that entire step and send it directly myself. I'll probably opt for the "Fast repair" option as I think it is totally worth it to get the camera fixed and returned within a week. My insurance company might cover it as well. I'll have to call Leica on monday and arrange a pickup.

I guess the most lengthy process of all of this will be finding a new B+W 46mm MRC yellow filter... It took me several months to get it last time, and I see they're out of stock everywhere again, hehe.

Sorry to hear that. I'd definitely send it to Leica to work on.

On Thanksgiving day, I fell down the stairs at a family-member's house. My M9 was fine, but my 50mm Summilux's lens hood was dented. The lens is now in New Jersey being repaired.

They have a remarkable ability to fix these things.

-jbl

My empathy for your situation!!! I dropped my 50 summilux without it being on a body... filter dented making it impossible to take it off and the hood dented. I was so disgusted with myself I didn't even check the aperture ring or anything else. Under the 'passport warranty' here in the U.S. Leica in Allendale N.J. took a week after getting it to repair it and send it back. They even took the dent out of the B&W filter and the lens works perfectly. That kind of service makes the price of the lens a little more bearable.

Hoping it goes as smoothly for you!!!!

Foto Huppert sent me one within a couple of weeks end last year.

And Leica does not send out this kind of parts, just to authorized repair centers.

The turnaround should be OK even without the fast repair option. If all parts are in stock.

That's what I assumed as well. The local service shop will probably end up having to send the camera to Solms themself. Or wait for a long time to get the correct parts. Might as well skip that entire step and send it directly myself. I'll probably opt for the "Fast repair" option as I think it is totally worth it to get the camera fixed and returned within a week. My insurance company might cover it as well. I'll have to call Leica on monday and arrange a pickup.

I guess the most lengthy process of all of this will be finding a new B+W 46mm MRC yellow filter... It took me several months to get it last time, and I see they're out of stock everywhere again, hehe.

Edited by jaapv

I would list all of the things you notice in writing, just in case something comes back without this being looked at fully. I only say this after dropping a wrist watch and having it 'serviced' only to repeat sending it back 3 times before they twigged it needed a complete strip down and testing for any distortion as well as wear........ ( yes you would expect better, they were not informed by me dealer of the impact damage, that I HAD informed my dealer of )

Good luck, I feel for you. I am sure I would have done the same if it wasn't for my finger grip loop that attaches the camera to my middle fingers and holds the camera when shooting and holding.

So today I managed to what I thought was impossible: I dropped my Monochrom with a Summilux 50mm ASPH 1 1/2 meters down on concrete. It was a stupid accident, and I will never ever use wrist straps again. Stupid things.

Anyway: The equipment hit the ground with the lens first. There was a loud smack when it hit the ground with the lens first.

I got that far then felt nauseous and had to stop. Sorry to hear it.

If focus binds, the lens helicals are damaged. Nobody but Leica can calibrate ASPH lenses. Do not let amateurs touch it.

The RF can be off now, the mount may need to be reset to be square with the sensor. This is a Leica job.

Out of all the checking and possible work, the only thing a local might be able to do correctly is replace the shade. You do not take your Ferrari to the corner gas station except perhaps to put air in the tires, but even then they should be nitrogen filled.

Ouch, that sounds like serious damage. Sorry to bring bad news but if your insurance covers it, I would ask for a replacement. Same as one does with a new car that's been hit seriously.

It doesn't look like it since the camera body was protected by the leather case, but yeah, the rangefinder is totally off and the shell is cracked inside. The lens is pretty beaten up even though the lens filter took most of the damage.

I've reported the case to my insurance company, and there is no way for me to find out what repair costs would be until I ship the items to Germany, which, with insured shipping for that type of value costs a lot by itself. The insurance company has to cover the shipping in that case, since there are no official Leica service in Norway. Leica might then say that the items are beyond repair, or that repair costs will equal the cost of new items... Nobody knows. So I stated on my claim that the cost of new items are the same as when I purchased it, and that I didn't know what the repair costs are since it is impossible to find out without shipping the items off.

The type of insurance I have on the items are "worth insurance" which people usually use on art and valuable collectibles which are rare and that go up in value over time as well. Sentimental value are a concideration with this type of insurance, so they might choose to do a full payout for all I know. This is easier for the insurance company as well. Less paperwork and time and shipping costs that are considered risk costs since nobody knows what the repair costs might be or if the equipment is repairable.

If focus binds, the lens helicals are damaged. Nobody but Leica can calibrate ASPH lenses. Do not let amateurs touch it.

The RF can be off now, the mount may need to be reset to be square with the sensor. This is a Leica job.

Out of all the checking and possible work, the only thing a local might be able to do correctly is replace the shade. You do not take your Ferrari to the corner gas station except perhaps to put air in the tires, but even then they should be nitrogen filled.

I tried saying that to my local shop (where I purchased the items) and they didn't even know about the Leica Service options. Do you think Leica can provide a written confirmation that there are in fact no service shops in my country that are authorized to perform this types of repairs? That would be very valuable on my insurance claim I guess.

Do you think Leica can provide a written confirmation that there are in fact no service shops in my country that are authorized to perform this types of repairs? That would be very valuable on my insurance claim I guess.

I see no reason why they wouldn't. Just ask CS in Solms.

1) I dropped an M3 with a Canon 50/1.2/SM and filter onto pavement. The filter shattered, the front element chipped a little. I wound up using wire cutters to clip the filter ring, which let me remove it. I've also read of people using rubber gloves to get a better grip and twisting it off. Gave the damaged lens away. Other lesson, always use a strap. I was testing the camera sans strap and lost my grip.

2) I dropped an M8 onto a tile floor. This time, the point of impact was on the top plate near the viewfinder window. Similar issues with rangefinder alignment. Also knocked loose the optics for the light sensor mif-top plate. Functional repair by Steve's in Culver City in a week for ~$400, later sent it to Leica for a fresh top plate, made to look factory fresh, for another $700, with a six week turn around time. Lesson learned - never put more than one object on a coat hook.

Your lens definitely sounds compromised as well. I do recommend checking into Passport for both items. That would cover functional repair, and reduce the cost of total, including cosmetic, repair as well.

Eric