Summilux 35 asph - Canon 35 L

mirekti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it's title is very close to what I'm looking for.

I'm about to change my systems from Canon to Leica. I was very pleased with 35mm L and I believe I'll go for new Summilux 34mm 1.4.

I found that the previous version was a bit soft wide open, but cannot find any comparison between new Summilux and Canon 35L.

Does anybody have both lenses and if so, could you put few words on it, please?

Welcome :) I am amazed you found the original Summilux asph soft wide open - it is nearly too sharp. Some users opt for more gentle older versions.

The new FLE version has the same optical performance, but will not exhibit the focus shift that the previous design had. A superb lens.

I moved your question into the lens forum.

Edited by jaapv

They might have been misjudging focus. The MTF curves are not too different with the Summilux the winner in the centre and in the corners. It is long ago that I was using Canon, but in my memory the Leica lens has far more "presence" That being subjective, maybe there are members that can give a side by side comparison.

Edited by jaapv

I'm about to change my systems from Canon to Leica. I was very pleased with 35mm L and I believe I'll go for new Summilux 35mm 1.4.

I have the 35L and the Summilux ASPH pre-FLE. Both are excellent lenses but my experience is that the Summilux is sharper wide open. I'd guess that the current Summilux which has been designed to provide better closer focus performance will be even better. All that said, changing from Canon to Leica is about more than the comparison of two excellent lenses. I use both systems and wouldn't like to be confined to just either personally as both have strengths and weaknesses.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it's title is very close to what I'm looking for.

I'm about to change my systems from Canon to Leica. I was very pleased with 35mm L and I believe I'll go for new Summilux 34mm 1.4.

I found that the previous version was a bit soft wide open, but cannot find any comparison between new Summilux and Canon 35L.

I used to own and shoot both of them. The 35L is the second best fast 35 I've ever shot.

I've had the Lux ASPH (non-FLE version) for close to 10 years now and IMO it's one of the best lenses Leica ever made. The new FLE version just seems to improve on that.

The 35L flared more and wasn't quite as good, as the Lux wide open. But overall the Canon was very, very good.

I can't remember how they compared at 1.4 and .70 cm, but if the 35L has a floating element it may have done better than the Lux, although the latest incarnation of the Lux ASPH FLE would nullify that advantage.

Both of the ASPH versions of the Lux are very sharp at f1.4. I still remember how impressed I was with the first roll I developed. Even at f1.4 the Lux shots were tac sharp from corner to corner. It was a real eye opener.

My biggest beef about the 35L is that it's the size of a pint of cream. It dwarfs the Lux. Heck it nearly dwarfs an M body.