Favourite medium format?......

Nick De Marco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...I do miss the the 43mm Sekor. It's an astonishing lens...

The original G690 interchangeable lens family of cameras offered an equivalent 50mm lens on the 6x9 format, which is appealing though rather slow at f5.6. However, I understand that this lens is hard to find.

Nick

Edited by Nick_S

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My favourite medium format camera of all time is my 120 Pan Holga (6x12) with a Schneider 90mm Angulon on a Compur shutter. It gives astonishing quality negatives although you have to make the body as reliable as possible with various mods so you don't get the usual Holga characteristic's of leaks and stuff. The body is really just a cheap box for the film, but it makes a very light camera for a 6x12.

Edited by purvika

My favourite medium format camera of all time is my 120 Pan Holga (6x12) with a Schneider 90mm Angulon on a Compur shutter. It gives astonishing quality negatives although you have to make the body as reliable as possible with various mods so you don't get the usual Holga characteristic's of leaks and stuff. The body is really just a cheap box for the film, but it makes a very light camera for a 6x12.

Like this.....

12809993915_5eed56bd79_b.jpg

or here https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7433/12809993915_5eed56bd79_b.jpg if mods want to delete the image

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 8

Anybody with a spare 90mm Angulon on a shutter can find a description of how to make an extremely effective 6x12 camera using a Holga body here

http://freepdfhosting.com/b316cbe2ff.pdf

Do it right and it is pretty bomb proof and makes for an incredibly light weight panoramic camera with a terrific lens.

Steve

when i look at my negs it has to be this beauty....(previously posted)

ah...what a breath of fresh air to revisit this thread...

andy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, the magic of 6x6cm negs or slides! For me, the Rolleicord Vb ticks all the boxes. Superb lens (Schneider 75mm f3.5) coupled with robust yet lightweight construction. The weight factor was primarily what drove me to choose this above the Rolleiflex. Would love to try other medium format cameras such as the Hasselblad or Pentax 6x7 but they demand the use of a tripod, whereas I need to be as unencumbered as possible.

Ah, the magic of 6x6cm negs or slides! For me, the Rolleicord Vb ticks all the boxes. Superb lens (Schneider 75mm f3.5) coupled with robust yet lightweight construction. The weight factor was primarily what drove me to choose this above the Rolleiflex. Would love to try other medium format cameras such as the Hasselblad or Pentax 6x7 but they demand the use of a tripod, whereas I need to be as unencumbered as possible.

Keith, certainly the hasselblad does not demand a tripod. Notoriously, V.H. designed it specifically to fit his own tiny hand. Ergonomically it is brilliant, IMO.

I spent most of my working life hand holding a Blad, only about 30% (or less) of that was with tripod. I suspect, but don't know, that the pentax would be similar.

If you are anal about sharpness, which is fine, then probably your Leica should be on a tripod also.

I had a slew of medium formats...Yashicamat 124G, Hasselblad V, Fuji GW690III, Horseman VHR, Pentax 67, Pentax 645...eventually parted with all of them. Kept 2 Rolleiflexes, a 1953 MX Tessar and a 1964 2.8F Planar. I haven't shot film in a while but they're just too exquisite to part with.

If you are anal about sharpness, which is fine, then probably your Leica should be on a tripod also.

More so because the degree of enlargement is greater and depth of focus (not depth of field) become more critical with smaller formats.

On the other hand most people view outcomes on a monitor which conditions to low expectations. A revolution in monitor resolution will likely precipitate an exponential growth of anguish and denial on one side as well as warm affirmation on the other.

• Like 2

I like Mamiya RZ67: the finder, the revolver back, the seize of negative and more.

I hate its weight. So I use it only about twice a year - and enjoy my Leicas.

• Like 2

The RZ67 and RB67 have become my favorite workout items, closely followed by a Berlebach tripod when required :rolleyes:...

With the grip, RZ, AE prism and 90/3,5 are kind of manageable handheld even in the streets. I don't keep it at eye level for very long, though; also carry a light monopod and use a short cable release for the lens shutter taped to the grip for when I want it *sharper*. No significant big prints yet, but enjoyment in spades.

For the pic below, the (not always so useful) AE must have signalled something I didn't notice or understand, so this pic is less sharp :p, but looks and feels quite different from anything I could produce with another camera on Pan 50. Will continue the workout.

Cheers,

Alexander

P.S.: A sharper handheld pic just went back to the lab because the standard scanner was not able to correctly re-assemble the scanned bands in high-frequency areas (foliage). Look now forward to a free Hasselblad scan...

• Like 5

Keith, certainly the hasselblad does not demand a tripod. Notoriously, V.H. designed it specifically to fit his own tiny hand. Ergonomically it is brilliant, IMO.

I spent most of my working life hand holding a Blad, only about 30% (or less) of that was with tripod. I suspect, but don't know, that the pentax would be similar.

I found a 500c with the 45 degree prism a marvellous camera to hand hold. Much easier to use than a tlr IMHO, although we still carried a Rollei for when the hassleblad jammed...

Gerry

I found a 500c with the 45 degree prism a marvellous camera to hand hold. Much easier to use than a tlr IMHO, although we still carried a Rollei for when the hassleblad jammed...

Gerry

Totally agree about the 45 deg finder. I still use mine exclusively.

Jammed... ! Mine never jammed, once I bought the spare backup body to cover me. LOL. Still got it, unused. :cool:

I also added the winder, to complete the combo. With a 24 exp mag(s) it formed a formidable competitor to the flexibility of 35mm film cameras of the time.

Edited by erl
  • Like 1

I am repeating myself: my mission as Minister of the Church of Zeiss Medium Format Super Ikonta (range finder medium format) is to convey to you, ma bruthas an ma sistahs, that no latter lens/camera/format can save you as can the Super Ikonta. Look and ye shall see!

I Join your Church as a Diacon :p : my Super Ikonta (better to say..."Mess Ikonta"... the last RF 6x9 from that noble breed) is absolutely my preferred MF mostly in consideration of its fantastic pocketability... :cool: : the Planar of my Rolleiflex 3,5f is maybe slightly better in contrast, but, alas, the Ikonta is really a carry around (exactly opposite the Linhof 70... :o : a splendid piece of gear which I had for < 1 year, before realizing that I simply couldn't go out with it and without an adequate tripod...)

• 5 weeks later...

Well, this makes me think about using the Voigtländer folding I received as a gift a few years ago, which is scale focus though.

Since I have received the Hasselblad scans in the meantime, here a sample. Now, rarely the limiting factor of web display has struck me so much as when downsizing and (lightly) resharpening (PS5 smart sharpening 50/radius 0,4) this file. Not sure I'll print this photo big, but much of its intent (and mine using the RZ67) was to record details of a Sunday morning city scene and its living inhabitants (including of smaller ones, like humans or dogs). The menu ("moules bouchot", two options, 14,50) and the names carved into the tree ("Dustin + Emilie") are quite inevitably lost on 960px :D

Cheers,

Alexander

P.S.: RZ67, 90/3,5, Pan F 50 — I notice that the web version looks noticeably more sharpened than what I had in PS5; some forum wizardry?

Edited by xalo
P.S.
  • Like 2

The mirror pre-release is Hasselblad's weapon to defeat camera shake whilst hand-holding.. It leaves the remarkably quiet shutter alone to do its work comfortably down to 1/30sec.

My 203FE has an automatic, single action, mirror-up & shutter release feature with a 2 second delay. Just have to ensure that the picture content doesn't change in that 2 seconds. With the AE and easy applied compensation, it's a dream to use.

My 503Cx just has the traditional two action mode, which is really no hardship.

I'm trying to get back to the situation where these are my main image capturing tools for possible framed and stock images, with my MP for creative snapping. The digital M's have gone.

Edited by Rolo
  • Like 9