Favourite medium format?......

Nick De Marco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got to use a Makina Plaubel a couple of times and the results were amazing from the Nikon lens. It was so portable by comparison as it folded really quite flat. Still around at a few dealers and on EBay.

The director Wim Wenders, also a Leica user, waxes lyrical about his Plaubel Makina 6x7 camera. It even features in his movie Palermo Shooting (2008). For the film Paris Texas he used both cameras in planning the movie and the photographs were later published in his monograph Written in the West.

It is a pity that the Plaubel camera has a reputation for bring rather fragile and expensive to repair.

Nick

• Like 2

The director Wim Wenders, also a Leica user, waxes lyrical about his Plaubel Makina 6x7 camera. It even features in his movie Palermo Shooting (2008). For the film Paris Texas he used both cameras in planning the movie and the photographs were later published in his monograph Written in the West.

It is a pity that the Plaubel camera has a reputation for bring rather fragile and expensive to repair.

Nick

For the same reason the GF670 Wwill probably last longer than the GF670 with the the folding bellows.

The discontinued Plaubel Makina W (also with a 55mm lens) had also a folding bellows, while the modern Fujifilm GF670 Wideangle has a rigid (& solid) lens.

Still frequently use a very tatty but reliable Rolleiflex 3.5f TLR, bought back in the late 1970s; plus a Balda Baldix which has the most byzantine film advance system. Also lurking in the cupboard is a Mamiya C220, a lumpen beast bought on a whim solely because my photo tutor at art school used one back in the late 60s…never have grown to love it, tho.

• Like 1

My latest blog entry takes a break from my Leica IIIs and features what is probably my favourite medium format kit, the Mamiya 6, especially with the 50mm lens.

To read my review and view the most recent pics taken with this click on my blog here:

Rangefinder Chronicles: Mamiya 6 in Hackney and Mile End

(I better not post any of the photos since they are not taken with a Leica....)

So long as a Leica appears somewhere in the frame, then the picture truly can be said to have been "taken with a Leica."

;-)

• Like 1

So long as a Leica appears somewhere in the frame, then the picture truly can be said to have been "taken with a Leica."

;-)

The Brooks Plaubel Veriwide, a true 6x9cm uses a Leica viewfinder.

Sent from my Etcha-sketch.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use Hasselblad 501c with a 60mm, 80mm and 150mm ( in my opinion the square format is great for composition) and a Mamiya 645 1000s with 45mm, 60mm and 150mm , which was a good surprise for reliability and picture quality too.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I gave away my Bronica RF645 and lenses, but still have and use a Fuji GA645, a Fuji GW690 and best of all, a CV Bessa III. It's almost as easy to carry around as a Leica M, and I don't need to carry any extra lenses! ;)

Chris

I weakened and bought this:

14112175093_3308e8b2b9_z.jpg

It's rather good fun, and quite a bit more tricky to use than the Bessa III:

14095703403_4de224f97d_z.jpg

Chris

• Like 10

I have worked with a hasselblad 500 and pentax 67ii. Now I only have the Mamiya 7ii, which I like quite a bit. I have used the 80mm for years and just recently purchased the 150mm and I have to get it calibrated. I still want the 50mm! There is nothing like a large negative. Would like to try a 4x5 or 8x10 someday.

Oh, my friend has the Fuji GA645zi and it is a gem. Smaller negs, but you do get 16 on a roll. It is small, has autofocus, a built in flash and it loads very easily.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am repeating myself: my mission as Minister of the Church of Zeiss Medium Format Super Ikonta (range finder medium format) is to convey to you, ma bruthas an ma sistahs, that no latter lens/camera/format can save you as can the Super Ikonta. Look and ye shall see!

Edited by pico
  • Like 5

We've recently started shooting MF in our house, and we now own a Mamiya C220, Ikoflex Ic w/ Tessar lens, and Rolleicord Vb. Mainly she shoots them (I converted her from digital), and her preference is the same order as above. It's a fun format with those big negatives, albeit heavy.

• Like 1

I had a fairly complete Hasselblad 503CW system, but the problem I had as an occasional shooter was the film taking a set due to the reverse curve in the film cassette. Sold it all fortunately just before the bottom fell out on the MF film camera market. I currently have a couple Rolleiflexes which don't suffer from that problem, and IMHO are among the most beautifully-made cameras ever made, extremely reliable, and top-notch optics.

• Like 2

Don't quite understand that 'set' you refer to Bob. Been (still am) a Blad man for 50+ years. No film casette in Blads. The reversed roll in the back is to better flatten the film in the gate during exposure. Never had a problem with curl in any films. I habitually carried up to 19 different film types, with a multiplicity of magazines, on most assignments. Some were harder to load into processing reels, but never a problem in the camera.

Do you have a problem with film Leicas which all reverse roll the film on the take up spool?

• Like 2

The reverse curl on the spool of a Leica is smoothly across the whole frame, but the reverse curl with a Hasselblad can be across part of the frame. This can cause a wave in the film rather than just a single directional curl to deal with at the printing stage. It can happen either if you leave the film for a long time, which you wouldn't on an assignment, or if the film base is susceptible to bending, for instance I've found some ADOX films can take on a 'set' if left for just a few hours when 120 film is reverse rolled.

I never had this problem with my Hasselblad when I used it all the time, but as I slowed down with film photography it did happen once or twice as the camera stood longer between use. After I sold it and switched to Bronica it was the same, the 'wrong' film stock or a long period of inactivity and there could be a permanent wave on the film.

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 3

It makes no difference which way films are spooled in-camera or who the film manufacturer is. I'm looking at Fuji, Ilford, Adox and Rollei black and white negative films on my lightbox right now that were taken with different Fuji and Hasselblad mf cameras from 6x17, 6x9 and 6x6 as well as a Cambo Wide with 6x7 and 6x12 rfh's. The Fujis transport films through the camera with the curl while the Hasselblad and Cambo films transport films against the curl. With the exception of the 6x17 negatives, which always remain flat, the rest are curled including the 6x9 negs which are always the worst for curling.

My mf Velvia comes back from Peak Imaging without any curling, regardless of format.

• Like 2

Ah, nostalgia!

That is exactly my first Blad kit. With the original Compur shutter. Later lenses changes to Prontor. The only trouble you may have with the Compur is the simple steel spring inside. It fatigues. Not a big deal to replace. It may have already been done on yours.

Beautiful negatives/ trannies. Love that Blad 'Plop!' :D

• Like 1

Mamiya 7, from which I find much easier to get critically sharp images compared to my first MF camera (a Hassie 501cm) when using it handheld. The short depth of focus from these 80mm standard lenses make a tripod and considered approach worthwhile for both, however. If you do that, and get a great scan done, the quality is utterly superb for big prints ..... I'm looking at a 50x60 inch using Portra 160 and a 250mb drum scan and can count grains of sand in the image. But the benefit of MF is far beyond resolution, the benefit is staggeringly good levels of tonality and "walk into the picture" 3D look. It's sharp and hugely detailed, but completely organic ("real") in its look.

• Like 2

I have a few favorites. All the MF cameras I have used have strengths and drawbacks (not one system does it all, at least that has been true for the systems I have used). For example, I really enjoyed the Rollei 6008i and 6008AF which I used for about 5 years. An amazing system, great metering, and first rate lenses. But carry around the 6008 and two or three lenses and you are getting quite a workout! The Mamiya 7ii is the camera I miss the most. Light body, great glass and easy to use. The 65mm lens was my favorite travel lens.

I still use Rollei TLRs (2.8F and 2.8 GX) and Hasselblad 503CW & 501CM. Much lighter than the 6008 and built to outlive me.

• Like 1

..... The Mamiya 7ii is the camera I miss the most.....

I don't miss the camera, it's a pile of idiosyncratic kak, but I do miss the the 43mm Sekor. It's an astonishing lens and the 50mm isn't far behind. It's worth having the camera body for those two lenses.

I used the M7(ii) very successfully for several years, my first UK Landscape & Travel PoTY award was with an image taken on the M7(ii) with the 43mm. If I were in the market for another mf rangefinder camera, it would be the Fuji GFW670. It's a virtually silent delight to use, well made, coat pocketable and makes my Fuji GSW690iii feel like a Russian tractor. The 55mm Fujinon ebc is at least equal with the Mamiya 50mm Sekor, albeit with a slightly narrower aov, but the matched optical viewfinder in the Fuji is far more accurate than the external ovf of the M7(ii), with all required information displayed clearly. The fixed lens is by no means a handicap as long as the focal length suits your requirement. As a mf travel camera, it beats anything else, past or present, hands down.

Fuji UK were good enough to let me have one on extended loan to try out, it was one camera I was sorry to have to hand back and I may yet buy one.

• Like 1