Favourite medium format?......

Nick De Marco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tried a Yashicamat 124G to see how much superior medium format might be to 35mm with latest Leica R glass. The images were sharp enough I guess, but I was distinctly underwhelmed by the overall quality of the prints I obtained, even with the better Yashinon lens. (Of course, it goes without saying that a MF camera with better glass would be a completely different story.)

Apparently many are not familiar with the Super Ikonta (a German rangefinder) which is the best technology of medium format of its time. Rangefinder, 120 format of 6x45, 6x6 and real 6x9cm. One example necessarily diminished for web presentation.

Agree completely. I have the 6x9 Super Ikonta and the 4.5x6 Super Ikonta as well. I uased to have the B but sold it, as I can get 6x6 with the 6x9 version. Apart from that I also use the Plaubel Makina 120/220 as well as the wide angle Plaubel Makina. These folding cameras are pocketable ( big pockets) during travels when I do not need larger equipment like the Hasselblads of the Linhof 4x5.

Lately, however, I have unfortunately used these cameras less and less because I am getting older and need to carry minimum weight and a minimum equipment.

Teddy

• Like 1

Out of all the film formats I shoot, 35mm, 35mm pano, 6x6 and 4x5, I use 6x6 the most with my Hasselblad system. I just picked up a 1.4XE converter for my 180 CF and love it. It's just so nice to shoot a few frames on a roll, switch backs, get home and put the unfinished back in a couple ziploc bags and return it to the fridge or freezer and is the main reason I have 8 A-12 backs.

As far as shooting 6x12 backs on my 4x5, I love the format, the movements and not needing a film changing tent to re-load so I am not sure I agree with the notion that is always easier to crop a piece of sheet film.

But 120 film, yeah, it is my favorite, I am printing a show on 20x24 inch Ilford Warmtone and the prints look soooo good....

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

For walking around and doing street photography I love my Fuji GA645. People completely ignore you when holding that camera because it looks like a cheap hunk of plastic. I find when shooting outdoors with medium format people tend to get interested in you (especially TLRs, folks LOVE the way a TLR looks) but not so with the GA645.

Strangely the performance of that camera is amazing despite it's cheap looks. Fast focus (if you don't mind auto) good frame lines, and a really tack sharp lens.

For more controled environments I love my Mamiya RZ67. Really great system that can do a lot of things and give the user a ton of control if you don't mind the weight. Plus 6x7 negative are just amazing to look at on a light table.

• Like 3

I used to use a Rolleiflex and a Bronica ETRSi but sold both years ago. Recently acquired a Yashica Mat 124 (not the G) which worked great, especialy after I changed out the finder for one of Rick Oleson's split image one, but then I stumbled onto a Ricohflex Diacord, which I liked even better than the Yashica, the glass seemed to have slightly better sharpness and contrast. Added the split image finder and am just waiting for an opportunity to get out and about with it, now that the bench testing and a roll of real world testing has been completed.

I love to use my Super Ikonta 532/16, almost fits into a large pocket and after a small CLA delivers perfect pics.

Besides that I use a Hasselblad 500cm.

Kind regards, Michael

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I use a Rolleiflex 3.5E3 and really like it, just a wonderful little camera with an incredible taking lens. More than that though I just love the square format. I also use a 617 panoramic camera but don't use it that much although I really like that format too.

I use Hasselblad and Rolleiflex systems with Carl Zeiss lenses.

It's a pity young photographers are now equipped with those airplane-cockpit-like DSLR's and most probably will never hold an MF print. I occasionally hear stories of newcomers who expect too much of a quality in MF film photography and then become disappointed. It is not the system's fault, though. It simply is that Hasselblads and the likes require a different, "non-digital" approach. Then, they pay back for good.

Paul

Probably the Rolleiflex 2.8. Spectacular lens, dead silent and it focuses very fast.

I have a 2.8F and 2.8GX. I prefer the single coated 2.8F. It's magic in b/w.

I also have a Rolleicord III, but it needs a CLA. This is a really nice camera. Very compact and it weighs noticeably less than the Rolleiflex.

My second pick would be the Hasselblad 5xx series. Just a superb camera in every sense.

I have a 501 cm and the 503cx.

Every time I hang up a roll of 120 to dry I say to myself that I need to shoot MF more often. There really is something really special about holding that big negative in your hand.

In MF I'm a big fan of 6x6.

I never warmed up to 6x7, except in portrait orientation.

6x9 is great, because it's the same aspect ratio of 135 format, but I have yet to find a practical camera in that format. The big Fuji Texas Leica is probably my best bet...

Edited by thrid
  • Like 1

my recently purchased Nettax is a lot of fun..folded it is light and easy to carry...

the lens is good from f8 which is perfect for either portraits or landscapes...have not shot color yet but will do this weekend ...speeds of 1/25 th to 1/200th means you need to choose the right film for the conditions but that is not an issue..

guessing distance is sometimes a challenge but i am getting 90% pretty spot on.

and yes the big negs even from this beat most or all 35mm from tonal range , smoothness and sharpness.

just good simple photography...and big negs are cool.

andy

p.s image is not my actual camera but identical model.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Ever since working with them in the 70s I've had a soft spot for the Koni Omega Rapid M. M stands for Magazine rather than Meßsucher, but like the Leica Ms this is a tough rangefinder camera built for fast action.

Pro: quality of interchangeable lenses; ergonomics (anatomical grip for left hand to hold camera and fire shutter; thumb and first finger of right hand work the focus knob while the other fingers are curled round the rapid wind handle ready to advance for the next shot); big bright RVF with framelines that adjust for magnification as well as parallax as you focus from infinity to close distances; leaf shutter (quiet, great flash synch); interchangeable film magazines; three accessory shoes side by side.

Con: rangefinder coupling not as rugged as the Leica's; swapping lenses and magazines is slower than on a Hasselblad and the magazines don't slide smoothly in and out of a jacket pocket; leaf shutter (slow lenses, no 1/1000 sec).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr. B

I have always enjoyed medium format. My first medium format camera was a Mamiya C330 which I still own but seldom use anymore. My grandfather owned a Rolliecord which I inherited and use once or twice a year. My medium format of choice would be my Hasselblad 500C. I used this camera for many years as my primary camera. After I acquired my Leica M6 I used the Hasselblad less and less. About five years ago one of the aperture blades on my 80mm lens broke. I have since debated if it is worth fixing considering the state of film use today and questioning its price and availability in the future. I do have a 150mm lens but I don't use it much. Over the past ten years I have concentrated on my M6 and using digital. I do miss the quality of a 120 negative which I have always felt was superior to 35mm.

Regards.

Mr. B

My medium format of choice would be my Hasselblad 500C. I used this camera for many years as my primary camera. About five years ago one of the aperture blades on my 80mm lens broke. I have since debated if it is worth fixing considering the state of film use today and questioning its price and availability in the future. Mr. B

I recently had my 500 and 80mm serviced by David Odess - who was a factory service tech for Hasselblad for years. He will give a free estimate on your lens.

Guest Mr. B
I recently had my 500 and 80mm serviced by David Odess - who was a factory service tech for Hasselblad for years. He will give a free estimate on your lens.

Thanks I'll check him out.

Mr. B

About five years ago one of the aperture blades on my 80mm lens broke. I have since debated if it is worth fixing considering the state of film use today and questioning its price and availability in the future

Five years is about how long I've been using film - on and off at first - and taken thousands of images that I'm more happy with than all my previous or current digital pictures. Pity to have missed those years worrying about film's 'future' imho.

• Like 1

I gave away my Bronica RF645 and lenses, but still have and use a Fuji GA645, a Fuji GW690 and best of all, a CV Bessa III. It's almost as easy to carry around as a Leica M, and I don't need to carry any extra lenses! ;)

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...