M8 without filter for B&W

gfspencer

The rep is correct.

In a way

The M8 will give open shadows better than any other.
Errr... no. The MM has so much more dynamic reserve in the shadow that the IR contamination of the M8 cannot compensate.
The m8 renders B&W, better than the MM.

Shooting an M8 and MM side by side, this is wishful thinking

Be sure to use raw, you can than post process in your choice of software and use the color channels to dial up the filter of choice.

Yes and no. Manipulating the colour channels will introduce noise and lose dynamic range, especially on the M8.

Even on the M8 it is advisable to use colour filters

jaapv, understand that I am not comparing an M8 B&W to the M Monochrome. I'm just looking for the best way to shoot the M8 in Black & White. (I'm thinking about buying an ME for color and keeping the M8 for B&W. A Monochrome is out of my league right now. :( )

• Like 1

Definitely. You can use a UV filter simply for protection, but it's best not to use a UV/IR for B&W on the M8. (In fact, I never use UV/IR anymore, as I mostly aim for B&W images and don't note the related problems in the few color images that I end up with.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I depends on weather you need/must to have true colors to work with when converting or if you can live with the less black, purple cast colors.

He is true; You don't need to use the UV/IR filters...

I keep the UV/IR filters on, but I only convert some images to BW not all...

Definitely. You can use a UV filter simply for protection, but it's best not to use a UV/IR for B&W on the M8...

Matter of tastes i guess, i do exactly the contrary. UV/IR filters are not necessary for B&W but they seem to give a crisper look to my images. Comes from less IR contamination perhaps, i don't know.

Edited by lct

I wonder why it is then Jaapv that M8 black and white images look a lot better than the Monochrom pictures?
They don't

From what I've seen the Monochrom images look way too "chocolate boxy" and are a bit flat and lacking any grain or feeling to them. M8 files converted to B&W produce the BEST digital B&W I have ever seen - even better than an M9!!

Well, PP skills vary. Compare the same subject by the same photographer - and in print!. Web images tell you nothing. And yes the M8 has in general easier B&W than the M9. It takes me more PP to get those cameras equal.

Okay, so I was talking to the Leica rep this morning about using the M8 for strictly Black & White and he said that I don't need to bother with the filters.

For those of you who shoot B&W what do you do?

absolutely NO filters if shooting B&W. totally unnecessary!

the only reason i ever put on a UV filter once in a while, is if i want to protect the lens a little bit when i'm out...otherwise never.

Not really, the MM gives you incredible high ISO values so you can shoot with greater depth of field and slower lenses in a greater variety of situations. The M8 is a great B&W camera however, and in normal light it can give great results for a fraction of the price.

If you take IR photos on an M8 the focus needs adjusting considerably to achieve proper focus, it stands to reason that this out of focus content is included in photos taken without the filter so the images should be sharper with a UV/IR filter on. I'd be interested to hear if this is not the case as I'm not too experienced in IR photography.

Not really, the MM gives you incredible high ISO values so you can shoot with greater depth of field and slower lenses in a greater variety of situations. The M8 is a great B&W camera however, and in normal light it can give great results for a fraction of the price.

If you take IR photos on an M8 the focus needs adjusting considerably to achieve proper focus, it stands to reason that this out of focus content is included in photos taken without the filter so the images should be sharper with a UV/IR filter on. I'd be interested to hear if this is not the case as I'm not too experienced in IR photography.

Exactly ... so it's an excellent substitute for anyone who cannot justify the cost of an MM.

dunk

In some situations, I wish I had used a UV/IR filter when shooting b/w. Especially in situations with very high IR "pollution", like in the shade under foliage or in incandescent light, people might look spooky, with pale skin and dark eyes. Also, dyed hair reveals its true color, shaded glasses become transparent and black clothing turns grey.

• Like 1

In some situations, I wish I had used a UV/IR filter when shooting b/w. Especially in situations with very high IR "pollution", like in the shade under foliage or in incandescent light, people might look spooky, with pale skin and dark eyes. Also, dyed hair reveals its true color, shaded glasses become transparent and black clothing turns grey.

That sounds pretty awesome, I'd love to see some of these shots! Have you got some you haven't deleted?

Here's one. The girl in the middle had black-dyed hair and black clothes. A candle was involved here. Lens was a CV 35/1.4 wide open, thus the glow.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!