Ever Ready case repair

FredR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a used Ever Ready leather case (p/n 14505) for my M6TTL. Has anyone glued or sewn replacement straps that hold the lower snap on each side of the case? I'm looking for experienced suggestions before I take the case to my local shoemaker. He'll repair it so that it won't need a new sole or heel for years!

What is the purpose of the thick insert glued into the bottom of the case? It seems that it unnecessarily makes the case larger than it needs to be.

Thanks.

Fred

I've tried 3 boot/shoe makers for repairs to my cases. First lost the case; second said he didn't have a machine capable of handling that type of work; third said it would have to be done by hand and he didn't have the time. I finished up doing them myself. A couple of suggestions if you want to try your own repair. 1/ Use a well fitting sewing thimble 2/ Use thread, not cotton 3/ Use a thin sewing needle with a medium eye 4/ Take breaks while doing the repair; as TomB_tx says, it takes a long time. Let us know how you went.

My guess is the thick pad is it has something to do with camera cases for Leica's with winders. Maybe so the same leather form can be used for both types?

A second case (p/n 14856) I just bought by mistake supports your deduction. Alas, despite it's excellent condition, I will resell it because it is has the same dimension as the case I mention above (and an opening for the Leicavit), but no spacer, so the M6TTL camera body cannot rest on the bottom of the case.

Are all Every Ready cases built with the same depth in the lower half, with or without spacers?

Fred