M240 - LCD DISPLAY

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have now some hands-on experience with M9, D200, D800E, NEX-5N, NEX-7, and E-P2, OM-D E-M5 as well as with D3 and D300 that I gave to my son. Each of these cameras excells in a particular area.

Beautiful color in M9 and D200, both have CCD sensors.

Rangefinder in M9 is both a blessing and a curse, fairly high maintenance effort and cost if you have many lenses.

NEX-5N, NEX-7 have excellent focus peaking and okay to use magnification.

E-P2, OM-D E-M5 have In-Body-Image-Stabilization IBIS, major improvement from 2-axis to 5-axis implementation.

OM-D E-M5 has also easy to use magnification. Focus peaking can be setup through the menus and seems to work okay.

D3 is a pleasure to use in available light and for action shots with 11 frames per second.

D300 has extra reach and balances nicely large and heavy tele-lenses, as does the D3.

D800E highest ranked DxO performance.

D800E, NEX-7, and OM-D E-M5 have excellent 2-axis virtual horizon.

So, my ideal camera would have all the great features combined.

As this won't happen any time soon, I will continue enjoying the various cameras and their features, including the M240 when it finally shows up. :D

Lou,

Aren't all the ipad mini's 4G (along with the three cell phone carriers for the mini in the U.S.?

Have you ever tried a Wifi SD card in the M9? If so, have you ever gooten it to work with a ipad , cell phone or laptop? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Yes, I meant if you got the 4G+Wifi iPad Mini since you can get the WiFi only.

No I did not try a WiFi SD card on the M9. Did you?

I have now some hands-on experience with M9, D200, D800E, NEX-5N, NEX-7, and E-P2, OM-D E-M5 as well as with D3 and D300 that I gave to my son. Each of these cameras excells in a particular area.

Beautiful color in M9 and D200, both have CCD sensors.

Rangefinder in M9 is both a blessing and a curse, fairly high maintenance effort and cost if you have many lenses.

NEX-5N, NEX-7 have excellent focus peaking and okay to use magnification.

E-P2, OM-D E-M5 have In-Body-Image-Stabilization IBIS, major improvement from 2-axis to 5-axis implementation.

OM-D E-M5 has also easy to use magnification. Focus peaking can be setup through the menus and seems to work okay.

D3 is a pleasure to use in available light and for action shots with 11 frames per second.

D300 has extra reach and balances nicely large and heavy tele-lenses, as does the D3.

D800E highest ranked DxO performance.

D800E, NEX-7, and OM-D E-M5 have excellent 2-axis virtual horizon.

So, my ideal camera would have all the great features combined.

As this won't happen any time soon, I will continue enjoying the various cameras and their features, including the M240 when it finally shows up. :D

I just tried a Canon 5DMark3 today, all day, for the first time with a 24-105/4 walk around lens in cigar factories, and along Calle Ocho in Miami. Absolutely loved the AF speed (spot) and ease of getting good FF images. Took my MM with 50/0.95 and 35/1.4, but found the 5D3 got most of the action.

I just tried a Canon 5DMark3 today, all day, for the first time with a 24-105/4 walk around lens in cigar factories, and along Calle Ocho in Miami. Absolutely loved the AF speed (spot) and ease of getting good FF images. Took my MM with 50/0.95 and 35/1.4, but found the 5D3 got most of the action.

A friend of mine has the same positive experience with his 5Dm3 after he micro adjusted his lenses with focal. According to him that's a tremendous improvement compared what he got with the 5Dm2. In this regard the D800/E seems to have severe problems unfortunately.

BTW, Roger Cicala from lensrentals reports similar substantial progress with the 5Dm3.

LensRentals.com - Autofocus Reality Part 3B: Canon Cameras

Edited by k-hawinkler

I'm sorry Geoff but, but this is all incorrect and dogmatic. I don't even know where to start.

Huh? Can you amplify on that?

You would like to see a larger body with a design that you would prefer? That's fine.

Do you not agree that "a portion of Leica Camera's customers at least is very sensitive to the form factor and adherence to the traditional there."

Leica Camera certainly thinks so or the M might look like a dSLR. It would presumably be easier to design if there was more volume.

I have used dSLRs with a comparable LCD to the one that we will have in the M and I agree that it is a better experience for viewing the camera previews.

Edited by hoppyman

Sure Geoff, I can agree that "some customers" value the old film-body form factor but, it doesn't mean going forward with a new medium and technology we should shoe-horn new function into a static design form.

By the way, we are never going to agree on any of this because, although I own and "value" my film Leica cameras (IIIg and II), I would prefer to keep moving forward.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Larger RFs have been tried already -Leica M5, Epson R-D1- with little success. A larger body would allow for larger optical viewfinders and higher magnifications hence better visual comfort and better focus accuracy if need be. The forte of Leica Ms still lies in their small size though, despite human beings growing taller in half a century. Making the smallest FF digicams with interchangeable lenses is a leverage that Leica won't forsake in the foreseeable future IMHO.

• Like 3

Lou,

That new iPad mini sounds nice. So, stop tempting me! I am trying to imagine this summer's trip to Istanbul/Greece/Croatia being done with back packs and no MBA, no bag of lenses and gadgets, just the freedom of what we can easily carry. Plus, nothing to worry about (MBA and drive and extra lenses, and...) that is normally left in the hotel room during the day.

The dream is to walk around with only the new M + 35mm and the WATE... of course clothes. :D

IPad Mini plus the (grossly overpriced) SD card adaptor and either Photogene or PhotoRaw app means the raw files can be imported (12secs in Photogene), viewed, edited and saved very easily. Makes for a very compact and efficient travel resource.

Sent from my iPad Mini & Tapatalk.

The forte of Leica Ms still lies in their small size though, despite human beings growing taller in half a century. Making the smallest FF digicams with interchangeable lenses is a leverage that Leica won't forsake in the foreseeable future IMHO.

Who said anything about making the Leica M larger? Luigi stated that the styling on the back was getting a bit stretched. Personally, I would like to see the M smaller and lighter but, I think this will come with time.

I'm talking about statements made about the Leica faithful being "sensitive" to the form factor. My view is that digital M cameras should not strictly follow the form factor of a camera designed for film just because:

"Leica Camera's customers at least is very sensitive to the form factor and adherence to the traditional old Leica." - hoppyman

The form of future digital M cameras has to be fluid and follow the functional changes brought about by the new medium and technology.

This is sort of what my original post was about - embracing the amazing changes we are seeing in display technology. It is why I am looking forward to having a screen large enough, with resolution high enough, coupled with software good enough (we hope) to allow us to use it as a primary means to review and share our work at the time of shooting with clients and ourselves.

The fact that the larger screen upsets the sensitivity of those that want to adhere to Leica tradition is, well it is silly.

Yes i see what you mean but not eveybody likes chimping as you know. For people like me the best display is that of the R-D1 because it can be reversed so that it does not disturb me during shootings. That's the way i see fluidity and functionality. Matter of tastes but camera makers have to make choices and the M-240 is perhaps the best compromise so far. YMMV.

I see what you mean. I often go for quite a while when I'm on vacation taking pictures before I chimp, as well. Especially, once I think I have the exposure under control with manual settings. But, once I finish and we are sitting at lunch I am sure going to enjoy the new display, that's all.

• Like 1