M240 - LCD DISPLAY

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking forward to the new LCD on the M. For example, I took a picture this morning of the frost on the trees in our yard with the M9 and 35lux and my wife took a similar picture with her new iPhone 5. Wow, what a dramatic difference in display quality. Reminded me how the M9 display really sucks. Kind of takes a measurable amount of enjoyment out of the experience of digital photography, for me.

I understand that some claim they don't use the display on the M9 for viewing pictures and it isn't important to their photography except for framing checks and histography. To some, their M9 is simply a print making machine and they don't want or need a new LCD display taking up the entire back-side of a new doggy looking camera design. I can understand this point of view and very often find myself in this mode. But lately, I find myself really looking forward to chimping the new M high resolution display for many reasons.

Of course, there are other utilitarian reasons the new display is going to be welcome but, I got nothing to hide, me and my monkeys are really looking forward to chimping the new display. :D

Looking forward to the new LCD on the M. For example, I took a picture this morning of the frost on the trees in our yard with the M9 and 35lux and my wife took a similar picture with her new iPhone 5. Wow, what a dramatic difference in display quality. Reminded me how the M9 display really sucks. Kind of takes a measurable amount of enjoyment out of the experience of digital photography, for me.. :D

Ric I'm looking forward to that and the other improvements too of course but aren't you coming at this from the wrong direction :eek:;)

I don't know if you have ordered the new M (I have). I'll wait for your post that says:

For example, I took a picture this morning of the frost on the trees in our yard with the M and 35lux and my wife took a similar picture with her new iPhone 5. Wow, what a dramatic difference in photo quality! Reminded me how the iPhone camera really sucks.

:D

• Like 2

Looking forward to the new LCD on the M. For example, I took a picture this morning of the frost on the trees in our yard with the M9 and 35lux and my wife took a similar picture with her new iPhone 5. Wow, what a dramatic difference in display quality. Reminded me how the M9 display really sucks. Kind of takes a measurable amount of enjoyment out of the experience of digital photography, for me.

Well... try the camera of an IPad and you'll enjoy superb display.... :D... apart jokes, I appreciate that the new M has made a small step on the LCD side, too.... I think that in terms of size it is, on the 240, at the limits of what a classic M body can accept... the styling of the back is already a bit "stretched"...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I had wanted an M9 as a stepping stone to an MP, but a member of this forum pointed out that it wasn't possible to check accurate focus due to the M9's low resolution LCD, so I went straight for the MP.

One of the benefits of digital photography over film is that you can check focus accuracy, which can be done even with a 10yr old bog standard canon dslr, but no, not on a £5k M9 or a 2012 £6k MM....This has thankfully been addressed with the new M.

I think that in terms of size it is, on the 240, at the limits of what a classic M body can accept... the styling of the back is already a bit "stretched"...

It may seem "stretched" compared to the body of a traditional film M. I wish Leica would get over being a slave to the film body aesthetic. Trying to design around the film body aesthetic will get in the way of the evolution of the digital Leica M.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps you need a Portable TV set? :D Just kidding.

Funny. But, you know, I may start leaving my MacAir behind on trips if the new display is so good I can review pictures on it in the evening and enjoy them that way while on vacation. It would sure be nice to just take my iPhone for email and internet and leave the review/editing for when I get home. That would be a dream, actually.

Funny. But, you know, I may start leaving my MacAir behind on trips if the new display is so good I can review pictures on it in the evening and enjoy them that way while on vacation. It would sure be nice to just take my iPhone for email and internet and leave the review/editing for when I get home. That would be a dream, actually.

On my last trip I had only a Sony tablet with me, thanks to a SD-Card slot and RAW viewers from the Android market you can enjoy the daily pictures already in the evening... somehow, but still better than any cam lcd.

I can recommend a tablet with SD-Card Slot.

On my last trip I had only a Sony tablet with me, thanks to a SD-Card slot and RAW viewers from the Android market you can enjoy the daily pictures already in the evening... somehow, but still better than any cam lcd.

I can recommend a tablet with SD-Card Slot.

I have an iPad and never really took to the fact that it just runs Apps. My MBA 11" is about the same size as a tablet but runs real programs. Much better choice for travel. But, this misses the point that it would be great to leave the tablet and/or the MBA at home, for me.

I had wanted an M9 as a stepping stone to an MP, but a member of this forum pointed out that it wasn't possible to check accurate focus due to the M9's low resolution LCD, so I went straight for the MP.

One of the benefits of digital photography over film is that you can check focus accuracy, which can be done even with a 10yr old bog standard canon dslr, but no, not on a £5k M9 or a 2012 £6k MM....This has thankfully been addressed with the new M.

:confused:You chose the MP over the M9 because checking focus is not optimal on the M9(although imo it can be done easily) How is checking focus on the MP???

• Like 3

There are many good reasons to prefer an MP over an M9 (and vice versa) but I'm not sure the quality of the M9 screen features high on my list of factors to weigh up.:D Besides (although I don't suppose it matters) I don't think it is the screen itself that is the problem, it is the low resolution previews that the camera makes available. The advantage of the new M in this respect is probably going to be less to do with the size and pixel resolution of the bigger screen and more because of better quality preview files made possible by the Maestro electronics.

• Like 1

It may seem "stretched" compared to the body of a traditional film M. I wish Leica would get over being a slave to the film body aesthetic. Trying to design around the film body aesthetic will get in the way of the evolution of the digital Leica M.

I can't agree with you there Rick. I think a portion of Leica Camera's customers at least is very sensitive to the form factor and adherence to the traditional there. I think they have done a good job of fitting the more modern LCD into the existing shape and I applaud that.

A fatter, taller body might have the villagers out with pitchforks and burning torches for a betrayal of the M shape. I already have a dSLR with 24MP sensor and it handles and operates nothing like an M. Enthusiast Leica customers value that the digital M's closely resemble film Ms as far as possible in form and operation. For me the new LCD will be helpful and easier to use but any LCD preview just does not reflect well all that is in the photo. It cannot be nor is it meant to be a primary image viewer.

Edited by hoppyman

Rick

Got my wife the new iPad Mini and also the SD card adapter. I must say if you shoot DNG+Jpeg then it displays the jpegs large enough for a good look and travels even in the front pocket of the smallish Billingham bag made for Leica.

If you have the 4G model, then you can even get incoming email beeps while trying to shoot in quiet or remote environments.

I wonder if a WiFi SD card will eventually work on an M? This way an iPad (or any WiFi device) would work without having to remove the SD from the camera before viewing them.

Edited by algrove

Rick

Got my wife the new iPad Mini and also the SD card adapter. I must say if you shoot DNG+Jpeg then it displays the jpegs large enough for a good look and travels even in the front pocket of the smallish Billingham bag made for Leica.

If you have the 4G model, then you can even get incoming email beeps while trying to shoot in quiet or remote environments.

I wonder if a WiFi SD card will eventually work on an M? This way an iPad (or any WiFi device) would work without having to remove the SD from the camera before viewing them.

Lou,

That new iPad mini sounds nice. So, stop tempting me! I am trying to imagine this summer's trip to Istanbul/Greece/Croatia being done with back packs and no MBA, no bag of lenses and gadgets, just the freedom of what we can easily carry. Plus, nothing to worry about (MBA and drive and extra lenses, and...) that is normally left in the hotel room during the day.

The dream is to walk around with only the new M + 35mm and the WATE... of course clothes. :D

I can't agree with you there Rick. I think a portion of Leica Camera's customers at least is very sensitive to the form factor and adherence to the traditional there. I think they have done a good job of fitting the more modern LCD into the existing shape and I applaud that.

A fatter, taller body might have the villagers out with pitchforks and burning torches for a betrayal of the M shape. I already have a dSLR with 24MP sensor and it handles and operates nothing like an M. Enthusiast Leica customers value that the digital M's closely resemble film Ms as far as possible in form and operation. For me the new LCD will be helpful and easier to use but any LCD preview just does not reflect well all that is in the photo. It cannot be nor is it meant to be a primary image viewer.

I'm sorry Geoff but, but this is all incorrect and dogmatic. I don't even know where to start.

Rick

Lou,

Aren't all the ipad mini's 4G (along with the three cell phone carriers for the mini in the U.S.?

Have you ever tried a Wifi SD card in the M9? If so, have you ever gooten it to work with a ipad , cell phone or laptop? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)