digilux 3 aspect ratio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi all, i'm a photo enthusiast who grew up in a darkroom with my dad, so i got it from him. we've dabbled in leica equipment for about the last ten years now. he bought a digilux 3 new back in 2006 or so. it has been a killer camera. whenever i'm visiting, i shoot with it, and i alway like the results, despite it's kind of large, awkward shape.

anyway, i recently revisited some images i took last august to begin tinkering with them in lightroom, and i recall my frustration with the digilux 3's aspect ratio, and my inability to change it. in the menu, the option is locked at 4:3, if i recall correctly. i never liked this, but could never change it. my parents will be visiting me in hawaii in a few weeks, and i'll have an opportunity again to shoot with it. i would love to change the aspect ratio, finally, but i'm looking for advice on this.

anyone?

I had one some time ago. The manual (in German) mentions a "REC" menu where you can choose between 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9, if I recall correctly. It also seems to say that the choices where only applicable for live view. I don't quite understand that part of the manual and I obviously can not check that on the camera. Still, it might be worthwhile to locate the manual.

You can change the aspect ratio of the images only with Live View (Press [OVF/LCD] to switch the camera beforehand to taking pictures with Live View). For more details you can refer to the instruction manual, page 79.

Barto

Edited by bartohomar
complete the answer

I had one some time ago. The manual (in German) mentions a "REC" menu where you can choose between 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9, if I recall correctly. It also seems to say that the choices where only applicable for live view. I don't quite understand that part of the manual and I obviously can not check that on the camera. Still, it might be worthwhile to locate the manual.

You can change the aspect ratio of the images only with Live View (Press [OVF/LCD] to switch the camera beforehand to taking pictures with Live View). For more details you can refer to the instruction manual, page 79.

Barto

thanks for the responses... i recall reading about the other aspect ratios in the manual, but i must have missed the live view portion and didn't connect the dots. anyway thanks a bunch!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

The name is derived from the size of the sensor which is 4/3 inch. This sensor size results in a crop factor of 2 (14mm = 28 mm equivalent of 35mm film).

It has nothing to do with the aspect ratio as far as I know.

Cheers,

Marc