Squirrels with a 1935 lens

hhmrogers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are a couple of shots taken this year with a IIIc and a 9cm Elmar. The serial number is 260066 which puts it somewhere in 1935. It's coated now but wasn't originally. Film was Ilford XP2 Super.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

An excellent pair. The lens seems to give you fine sharpness, tones and lovely bokeh.

Paul

Thanks Paul! Also I like squirrels and could watch them for hours, though I certainly don't want them breaking into my roof-space!

I haven't yet had a good try with this lens on either M8 or M-E. I've had it for a long time but as I have a 1960 equivalent I've been using that. My more modern lenses of other focal lengths give me much better contrast which isn't really surprising. I did have an 85mm Jupiter which was OK-ish but sold it on not long ago. Although it opened up to f2, which can be handy, it wasn't as sharp as the M-Elmar in mid range.

Righjt now it's a bit cold outside and waiting patiently to catch squirrel antics isn't my idea of fun! Those two were shot through the kitchen door.

Henry

...........I too have a IIIc, serial number No 433740 which makes it May 1947, the year and month of my birth. My wife says it has weathered better than I have.

My IIIc is 514429 which puts it in 1950. But the 1935 Elmar, well that's the year my wife and I were born. We reckon it was a pretty good year of course, and the lens is OK too.

• 2 weeks later...

Pauledell - I'm not sure the bokeh totally arises from the lens. The "reticulated film" look of the oof areas is typical of Ilford chromogenic films. I was given a beta version of their first chromogenic film by an Ilford worker and put it in my Ig. I really disliked the bokeh areas and never used another one.

Pauledell - I'm not sure the bokeh totally arises from the lens. The "reticulated film" look of the oof areas is typical of Ilford chromogenic films. I was given a beta version of their first chromogenic film by an Ilford worker and put it in my Ig. I really disliked the bokeh areas and never used another one.

Gosh, Ilford's first chromgenic film, that really was a few years back! According to the Harman site: "1980 worlds first chromogenic film introduced - XP1", "1991 XP2 replaces XP1", "1998 introduced third generation chromogenic film - XP2 Super" Particles of dye forming an image in the emulsion are bound to look different from particles of silver and we can't avoid that with colour film. I had some XP2 Super in the fridge and I'm using it up; I do prefer HP5S. I recently tried developing XP2 Super in Rodinal using the time suggested in the Massive Development Chart. It worked quite well.

Edited by hhmrogers