Zeiss ZM 4,5/21mm

WilhelmR

It is said, that this is a phantastic lens except for the M9.

Right now I have the CV 4,0/21 mm and I want another/better compact lens. How bad is the ZM in reality?

Wilhelm

Ken Rockwell says:

"This f/4.5 lens is not for use on the LEICA M9 because its rear nodal point is not in a position for which the M9's internal lens profiles can compensate. If you're shooting an M9, get the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZM or LEICA ELMARIT-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH instead, because their rear nodal points are in positions for which the 21 f/2.8 11134 profile compensates quite nicely.

If you use this f/4.5 lens on an M9, you'll get nasty color shifts on the sides."

I have one I used for my film Ms and its about as good optically (and size wise) as one can expect from a 21mm. On full frame digital there is EXTREME color shift issues. They can be resolved with cornerfix or something similar, but any corrections made will degrade the image to a certain degree. The ZM 21 f/2.8 is supposed to be almost as good optically and can be used on full frame with no color shift issues, its only a little larger and you get some extra speed.

• Like 1

Ken Rockwell says:

"This f/4.5 lens is not for use on the LEICA M9 because its rear nodal point is not in a position for which the M9's internal lens profiles can compensate. If you're shooting an M9, get the Zeiss 21 mm f/2.8 ZM or LEICA ELMARIT-M 21 mm f/2.8 ASPH instead, because their rear nodal points are in positions for which the 21 mm f/2.8 11134 profile compensates quite nicely."

This is the usual Ken Rockwell nonsense. As a matter of fact, the Biogon 21 mm 1:4.5 ZM's rear nodal point is exactly in the same position as that of any other 21 mm lens ... or they weren't 21 mm lenses.

"If you use this f/4.5 lens on an M9, you'll get nasty color shifts on the sides."

This is the only sentence that's correct.

The Biogon 21 mm 1:4.5 ZM is a good lens with excellent sharpness and unusually low distortion. But—it vignettes like hell, on the M9 even more so, and with bad colour shifts, so it's hardly usable on digital. I wonder how it's going to perform on the upcoming new M ... the MAX sensor is said to be less prone to vignetting for light coming in at oblique angles.

• Like 1

I'm very keen on the 21mm focal length and have the 1.4/21 Summilux, 4.5/21 C-Biogon, and the 3.4/21 SEM - bought in that order as I wanted a more compact lens than the Summilux for where there was plenty of light and the SEM was not available at the time.

The Biogon produces beautiful photographs, is very compact (as the C-designation in the name suggests), relatively cheap, and is ergonomically fantastic to use. The red edge on the M9 is a problem and the following two files did need repair, even for B&W. I regrettably put the lens up for sale because although I absolutely love how it renders my photographs, the red-edge was giving me the shits. Obviously not a problem with film.

Fortunately it had not sold by the time my Monochrom arrived so for the moment I have it back from consignment sale. Fantastic on the Monochrom.

I recently ran some tests at home comparing the 4.5/21 ZM C-Biogon and the 3.4/21 SEM ASPH. The C-Biogon is very good but not quite as sharp as the Leica. I would not recommend it for the M9 unless you are only shooting B&W and prepared to do some repair work.

Save up and get the 3.4/21 SEM ASPH.

M9 4.5/21 ZM C-Biogon (coded as 2.8/21 Elmarit-M)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Good shots, but you should do something about that red edge in the colour image. As it is now it is unacceptable. I would use the flat field correction provided by C1 in their LCC profile.

Thanks Jaap but I only attached the colour image to show what 4.5/21 Biogon files look like uncorrected, and then the final B&W image. It was never intended to be finished in colour as I had planned on B&W when I took the photo.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

I did try a few lenses when I was looking for the 21mm.

• The 21 Super Elmar was the best. It was sharp, least distortion but also expensive for a focal length I would not use more than 10% of the time.
  • The 21 f/4.5 Biogon had a lot of red shift and I found it hard to correct even in software. Got a little worried when I read Ken's review.
  • The 21 Color Skopar was the best compromise in terms of price and quality and it was so compact.
  • The Zeiss 21 f/2.8 was very good except for some finder blockage. Did not like the optional hood. Would have considered it if stocks were available.
  • Was unable to try the 21 Elmarit or the 21 Summilux.

Yesterday I checked-out the new Voigtlander 21 f/1.8 and it was such an amazing lens. Need to try it out more before I might consider buying it.

The Super-Elmar-M 21 Asph was the best. It was sharp, least distortion ...

I'd agree it's the best overall, but it definitely is not the one with the least distortion. The C-Biogon 21/4.5 ZM has significantly less distortion.

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies.

I'm using a 2 lens kit, Summarit 2,5/50 and the CV 4/21. As I take about 40% of my pictures with the 21mm lens I thought it would be a good idea, to get a better lens. And I would have preferred the C-Biogon for it's quality and compact size. As I can't afford the Super Elmar I must live with the CV and some extra processing.

As I can't afford the Super Elmar I must live with the CV and some extra processing.

try a 21mm Elmarit...you won't be disappointed....unless you are looking for 'compact', which it is most certainly not. the E60 is huge, but beautifully built.

Edited by iedei

Good shots, but you should do something about that red edge in the colour image. As it is now it is unacceptable. I would use the flat field correction provided by C1 in their LCC profile.

....or wait some weeks to see how it works on the new M.

(According to Leica statements there will be no colour shift, and no in-camera correction for it, only for vignetting...let's wait and see.)

Fortunately it had not sold by the time my Monochrom arrived so for the moment I have it back from consignment sale. Fantastic on the Monochrom.

Would it be possible for you to post some photographs taken using this lens and the M Monochrom? I am concerned that the red edge, being not the same on the right and left sides of the frame, could cause one side to appear darker than the other due to the different sensitivity of the sensor to various colours (at the same luminance).

Nick