M-240 LCD protection glass

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

with the new M apparently around the corner (leicarumors, this forum and elsewhere on the net) - any suggestions whether additional LCD protection is recommended for the M-240? And if so, any knowledge of the physical size of the LCD-screen on M-240? For my M9, I have used Giottos SP8250, and I have been very satisfied with this glass.

Thanks a lot!

Helge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It'll be absolutely fine without a cover.

It might be to do with the way we hold/use our cameras (for instance, I rarely use my cameras on a shoulder strap) but I haven't had any kind of problem with scratches on the plastic LCD 'glass' used on the M8 and M9. My first M8 was well used for 3 years – to the point where the black chrome was a very shiny grey around the edges – but the LCD screen was entirely scratch free when I sold the camera. The same with my M9 that I sold last year.

• Like 1

It'll be absolutely fine without a cover.

It might be to do with the way we hold/use our cameras ...............

Me too: despite virtually daily use over the last couple of years in all sorts of circumstances and conditions and very visible wear to the paint finish, there's not a scratch or mark on the plastic screen of my M9.

Edited by Peter H

my sisters iphone with gorilla glass- cracked.

With enough force applied any display glass may crack, even sapphire glass. And I doubt any kind of transparent cover would prevent that. Covers are for preventing scratches and Gorilla glass is reasonably scratch-resistant as is.

• Like 1

my m8 LCD is covered in scratches...:)

and I have to disagree MJH- one of the shock resistant screen covers- that only touch the LCD around the edges- could well 'self-sacrifice' and save the screen from a sharp stabbing type trauma. It will also stop scratches from diamond rings and the like (important for me as I wear a lot of BIG ROCKS)...

I know some people seem to think you are less of a man (and less of a photographer) if you put a screen protector on your LCD- or do not remove the plastic cover from the baseplate on day one- but I won't even say what I think of these hard cases....

If I get an M: I will get a protector and I will leave the baseplate plastic right where it is. :-)

I've had a Steel Grey M9 for 3 months maybe, and it was completely scratched... I really like the Saphire screen cover of the M8.2 and M9-P...

I'm not sure if I would like the M Type 240's Gorilla glass as I know, it's strong but not really scratch resistant... it's more CRACK resistant.

My Nokia Lumia phone has a Gorilla Glass display.

I can testify that the glass is 100% scratch-proof.

Nor coins neither keys scratched the glass in more than one year of use.

And I take no care at all of my phone.

Franco

I have devices with Gorilla glass and it really makes scratch-preventition unnecessary. I'm talking about hard use - not abuse...

A cover for break-protection? In most cases the whole back will get issues and would need replacement as well...

Why isn't Leica using Schott Xensation? Do they try to avoid Schott (part of Carl Zeiss)?

I wouldn't be too sure about most Iphones using Gorilla glass, it might be a cheaper Chinese substitute...

• Like 1