Fuji Velvia 50

Joachim123

• 4 weeks later...
I have dropped Kodak since they discontinued their slide film.

One has to pretty much "drop Kodak" when it comes to E-6 film. But hopefully you'll still support their C-41 products. Those are pretty much the best on the market today. And if/when someone does eventually take over the distribution of Kodak film products, there needs to be sufficient consumer support to keep it going. I personally would hate to see Portra and Ektar disappear (and Tri-X.)

• Like 2

Yes, agreed. I know Kodachrome had its fans (a number of whom sprung up just prior to the film's demise:)) but Kodak hasn't been strong in the transparency market for decades. However, neg films are a different matter altogether and the loss of Kodak's films in this market would be a bit of a disaster.:eek:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When Velvia 50 was launched I ceased using other transparency film immediately because it has no equal for my purposes. The fact that Fuji deleted Velvia and then reintroduced it due to demand says much about it.

There were a few who claimed they could detect differences between the original and the reintroduced versions of Velvia, but I was never convinced.

I know I've said it before, and feel free to disagree, but I never liked Velvia. When I was shooting film I preferred Provia. I once used Velvia on a Tunisian holiday, and I don't think I shot a roll after that. Far too saturated IMHO.

My own personal preference has also been with Provia (both the 100F and the 400X.)

I have 30 rolls and 14 boxes of 4x5 sheets of Kodak E100G left and then that's it. :(

The E100G also has a neutral color palette and very fine grain.

....feel free to disagree, but I never liked Velvia.....

I would agree that Velvia 50 is not for everyone or every situation. Other emulsions are more forgiving, hence why 'for my purposes'.

Velvia has a fine tolerance and doesn't take prisoners, especially when not suited to purpose, but it is generally the landscaper's emulsion of choice with good reason.

I never took to Kodachrome, or even Ektachrome, for some reason but shot Velvia for almost all of my EOS years. Absolutely love it, 50 pushed to 100 to get the deeply saturated look I like. Provia was my backup film which I found also produced very nice results.

Recently I have begun using Agfa CT Precisa which I find gives very nice colours. I know "film is cheap" but the Fujis are becoming very pricey in Europe. Around or more than 10 Euros a roll on the internet. I even saw a Provia 400 for 15 in a shop the other week.

I never took to Kodachrome, or even Ektachrome, for some reason but shot Velvia for almost all of my EOS years. Absolutely love it, 50 pushed to 100 to get the deeply saturated look I like. Provia was my backup film which I found also produced very nice results.

Recently I have begun using Agfa CT Precisa which I find gives very nice colours. I know "film is cheap" but the Fujis are becoming very pricey in Europe. Around or more than 10 Euros a roll on the internet. I even saw a Provia 400 for 15 in a shop the other week.

Be glad you're not trying to buy it in Australia - AUD25 per roll (about EUR18). But all film here is close to double what you pay in Europe.

Back on topic, Velvia 50 or 100 is a great E6 film, but you have to love saturated colours, or they have to suit what you're shooting. For when I want something more muted, I go C41 with Portra.