MP meter gone

xalo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

Thanks to its inattentive owner, my MP had a little accident yesterday and seems to resent it.

Grabbing my coat from an armchair, I forgot that the camera in its half case was still laying atop. It tumbled to the floor planks... Neither the body nor the collapsed 5cm Elmar were damaged in any way and the finder patch is still aligned. Speed dial, winding and rewinding are perfectly as before, too. But the meter lights won't show anymore in the finder. New batteries did not revive them.

Would there be an explanation and perhaps a fix that won't cost me an inspection and repair? I know, "why bother, it's only the meter and distracting..." - but I prefer it working!

Alexander

It's possibly a cold solder joint in the meter circuit board. A knock can easily disconnect the bad joint. It happened to me in my M6 (one of the LED diodes stopped working due to a cold solder joint defect.) It's a simple fix by any good Leica tech. The circuit board itself is pretty robust and rarely needs replacing.

• Like 1

Hello Alexander,

It's too bad your meter is not working.

About preferring your meter to work: You are not alone.

There are other people who read & write on this Forum who also like using a light meter. Some people consider using a light meter to determine exposure no different than using a range/viewfinder to measure a subject's distance.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

CalArts, Michael, thanks for heads up.

The disconnection of a joint would seem very plausible, given the total blackout. I'll take the MP to Photo Suffren. This way I can have a lint removed from the finder and the tech will surely tighten the top plate when done - it had worked itself a tiny bit loose before the knock. The glass is half full again ;).

By far more often I prefer to have the indication in the finder, play with it in a scene. With the ambition not to have to correct too much the settings I chose and to forgo the urge of adjusting in favor of releasing at the right moment. You're right Michael, metering is part of the process and the fun.

Cheers

Alexander

• Like 1

Thanks, Sherry's reputation is stellar indeed. But I will see to get an estimate from Suffren this week, they are in métro/walking distance and sorted out most of my stuff so far. If they decline, I'll think it over. Generally I like to keep as short as possible any trips my MP does without me...

Alexander

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Alexander, bad luck :-(

Before you head out, just check two things (I had these moments before, only to slap my forehead after checking):

- batteries right way in

- a second set of fresh batteries for testing (the make sure, the spares are ok)

- advance lever wound

- shutter speed away from "B"

Hope you get it fixed fast - I too prefer the internal meter to work ;-)

Hi Dirk,

thanks a lot - I'd loved to slap my forehead ;-)...

In fact, I started out thinking that the cold had finally killed the batteries, tried (once wrong way in) the two already unwrapped spare sets (one from the CLE that has yet to return from repair %*$@#), then opened a new pack - each time careful to cock the shutter and stay clear from 'B'. I didn't want to believe that something went bust...

Alexander

Alexander - too bad, you ruled out these already …

In any case, the upside is (which I love my M6 and MP for), that they are still perfectly usable until you bring it in for repair.

For this reason I stopped carrying spare batteries with my M6 and MP a while ago.

Btw - once my cheap D76 battery stock is empty, I plan to change to a different battery type, as I find that the cheap drug store batteries die surprisingly fast in both cameras (less than one roll after the battery warning lights up).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Allan, I owe you one, at least! You made me want to try it once more. After a month of occasional use without batteries, shortly before taking it finally to repair, I *again* put the fresh cells in and, to my great surprise and delight, the meter works again! This is so good, I might not even try to understand what happened... I'm off to the seaside tomorrow and will have slides with me :D

Alexander

• Like 1

Allan, I owe you one, at least! You made me want to try it once more. After a month of occasional use without batteries, shortly before taking it finally to repair, I *again* put the fresh cells in and, to my great surprise and delight, the meter works again! This is so good, I might not even try to understand what happened... I'm off to the seaside tomorrow and will have slides with me :D

Alexander

....hmmm, I'm confused, Alexander - is the specific issue now fully resolved or has is it merely become intermittent?

I'm confused myself...

In short form: yes, the issue appears to be resolved. But not sure if reliably.

In detail: in January, after the last tentative to revive the meter, I took out the new batteries I had tried and put the camera aside. Coming back from travel (with M5), I too badly wanted to use the MP again, and took it to the streets without batteries, rather than to repair. Hence my remark (tongue in cheek) to Allan re/film advance lever: in use, I'm not always sure if it's advanced or not (side effect of the soft release).

On a whim, after reading and responding, I tried once more the new batteries and now the meter works again.

I wonder if this could be a bad contact or soldering, temporarily consolidated by using and carrying around the MP (it got occasionally shaken/a little bumped in my pack). Will see this weekend, to start with. Taking my Sixtino with me, just in case.

Alexander