New M240 photos

Bazwell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry, I don't get it.

Dr Rhode is apparently an electronics expert, and Leica asked him to do some sort of testing, presumably within his expertise. I assume he has provided his input, and Leica has given it the weight it deserves.

If he doesn't have anything to contribute, or if Leica ignored his input, that is for Leica - should we really care?

What I don't understand is what the quality of his photographs has to do with anything.

Many people here seem hot and bothered that Dr Rhode has a proto, and that he released his snaps (which don't meet with critical acclaim here) apparently with Leica approval. I don't think it matters a jot.

Here is an alternative perspective.

Clearly, Dr Rhode was not given a camera for his photographic skills. But, we are talking about beta testing here, not marketing. To my mind, beta testing is not necessarily about getting the worlds best photographers to produce fine images - that is marketing. Beta testing is far more prosaic, where specific parts of the camera are tested through all different permutations. Presumably, Dr Rhode was doing some sort of bench testing of the electronics and RF emissions from the sensor - not proving his photographic skills.

So, why did Leica agree to the release of the photos, rather than insist on the NDA?

Partly, I would suggest, to maintain interest and to throw and unofficial bone to those getting very excited about the new camera - ie, to keep the camera under discussion. I only looked at a few of the pictures (the sailing ones) and I wasn't surprised that they have a snap feel about them - taking interesting pictures of yachts from other yachts is difficult. The point of view is relatively fixed (unless you're in a runabout and have long lenses), and the light can be challenging. I didn't think those images were that bad.

When the camera is ready, we can expect some pretty challenging images, I'd guess. For the Monochrom, they chose Sobol (whose images I generally hated). For the M240, the official release pictures will need to be good to convince you lot.

While we're waiting, and unofficial release helps to keep the interest at a time when they have stopped the M9 & M9-P, and M-E sales are apparently stagnating. The gap-filler EVIL might have helped sales, but Leica was hoping the M-E might fill that role. So, with lens production still behind, presumably M camera production in full swing, but understandable caution about a flawed release, an unofficial release of some images to study probably seemed harmless.

But only a few have looked at the images for what they can tell us. Instead, there is outrage that the M has been given to person with such modest photographic skills!

Why not look at the images for what they are, glean what you cn from them, and breath through your noses for a bit longer. I'm sure Leica is working very hard to get this camera as near to perfect as they can.

I'm looking forward to the official release of the images, and sales of the production model starting.

Cheers

John

• Like 10

I'm sorry...what is "M240"?

It's not like I don't know Leica or keep up on forums (although I have been in hospital at bedside since November without a computer or desire to go on a forum), but please explain when using code names or such.;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leaving behind the personal attacks and the questioning of integrity...

A strategy of marketing, viral marketing, leaks, unofficial leaks, with permission leaks etc will in the end be judged by those for whom it is intended. So, best know and respect your customer and anticipate the reaction of your audience.

May I take this opportunity to say a few short words... timing, coordination, relevance, restraint.

• Like 4

did anyone note the sample photos / videos (not sure the videos are taken with the M) posted to the actual Leica M page?

Leica Camera AG - Photography - LEICA M

again, web-sized photos, but for those complaining about photographer pedigree, at least they were taken by a Magnum agency photographer...

the clip shows him using the M with EVF, etc...

Edited by ohnchoe

I'm sorry...what is "M240"?

As others have said, it is Leica's internal project code name for the otherwise-known-as (and so engraved on the front) "M" camera body (Leica having abandoned the numbering sequence of the M3-M9 once they ran out of single digits(*) - it would otherwise have been the "M10".)

Unfortunately, "Leica 'M' " also refers to the whole system - and any camera made for the system since 1954. Especially if using internet search (or the forum search for that matter).

So while I think it is a bit pretentous to use the term (as if one were a Leica corporate insider - yeah, right!) - I cut users some slack because it is specific and avoids ambiguity.

"CMOS digital M Mk. 1" would be just as specific, but a keyboard-full to type every time!

(* Well OK, single digits plus decimal points or dashes - M4-2, M8.2)

_________

On a previous subtopic, I don't get why everyone is so exercised over the "colors." I know most of you guys, and surely by now you know how much of a camera's output is determined by post-processing (especially raw files)?

I can (and do) make M9 files look just that way - so the colors are nothing unique to the "M", at least from what we can see in these pix.

It's possible the "M" has more DR - but again nothing in these pix that I can't do with my M9 with correct exposure and processing.

(Not dissing the "M" - just pointing out it seems very much in line with the previous cameras, so far as these particular pix are concerned. A good thing!)

I don't envy the guy getting an early M240 - I do envy him the free time and money for the "other" hobby.... ;)

M9 photo, chosen for similar scale, subject, lighting/contrast, colors (but not income level, obviously). Off Belize City.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6