Where are all the chrome 28mm lenses?

JeTexas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a couple years of lens collecting and trying different ways of shooting I've pretty much decided that a 28mm, a 50mm and a 90m fit the bill for me.

I've settled on a 50mm Summilux and a 90mm Elmarit -- both silver.

I'm currently using a 28mm Voigtlander, but I was thinking of finding either a 28mm Elmarit or a 28mm Summicron to replace it.

For purely aesthetic reasons I was looking for a 28mm in silver to match my 50 and 90, but there don't seem to be many around.

Was there a reason Leica avoided making the 28mm in silver?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica did not make ANY silver 28mm lenses between the last Summarons in 1963 and the silver version of the 28 Summicron in this century. None of the four Elmarits during the 41 years before the ASPH Elmarit were ever made in silver (except possibly for special limited-edition commemorative kits).

I don't know why, but apparently Leitz/Leica just didn't think "28mm" and "silver" went well together - even while they were happily making 21 or 24mm lenses in silver.

Maybe it has something to do with overall sales volumes for certain focal lengths - the 75mm and 135mm lenses have also never been made in silver, at least since the Elmar/Hektor 135s of 50 years ago.

• Like 1

There was a silver version of the Summicron-M 28 mm Asph' date=' but unlike any other silver Leica M lens, it's silver-anodised aluminum, not chromed brass ... and it's rare.[/quote']

The Noctilux .95 comes in the Hermes kit as a anodized aluminum silver as well!

I just realized the Voigtlander 28mm f1.9 came in silver with a knurled and scalloped focus ring that would perfectly match my 50mm Summilux and the 90mm Elmarit. Of course, I've already got the VC 28mm f2, which is black and I'm just not quite vain enough to buy another VC 28mm lens when I really want a Leica.

Oh well. lol

• 3 weeks later...