Leica CL - Question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everybody!

I recently got a CL in amazing condition. When i received it i cocked the shutter and released.. all good. Now i wanted to load the first film, even have the manual infront of me!

So when i got to the point of cocking the shutter slightly to get the little teeth in the camera to grab the film, nothing works. I can't pull the lever anymore to advance the film, neither does anything happen when i press the shutter release.

Since the camera came from a Shop and i doubt that anything is broken, i wanted to ask if i missed some kind of trick. Something like this never happened with my M2 and i don't want to break anything!

Thanks for your help!

In my CL (bought used many years ago) the coupling between the lever and the shaft that it actuates was worn/loose ... sometimes the lever moved and nothing occurred, sometimes it was stuck... at the end, even happened that the whole lever could be easily detached... a local lab fixed it for few money

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Consider also that the first degrees of movement of the lever also actuate the meter (another thing that in my item was originally unreliable) : I think is a part of the CL which is not of top quality (at least, in comparision with the superb levers of Ms) , but when mine was fixed, worked fine for > 10 years (of no heavy usage, indeed, but often in cold situations... CL used to be my "ski-camera"...)

Bearing in mind the age of the CL, it may simply have seized up to a drying out of the lubricants. That's what happened to my first Leica some 30 years after it was built.

Enjoy your CL once it has been fixed - it's a lovely little camera to use.

Best regards,

Doug

• Like 1