M-E with new 240 sensor, new electronics, minus video etc

thrid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How about it Leica?

I'm certain there would be huge interest in an M-E with the sensor from the M 240.

Remove all of the video features from the M 240 and ship it stripped down like the current M-E

A variant of the MM with a mono 240 sensor would be the logical next step for that model.

Just a thought...

The problem is, removing the video features from the M 240 wouldn't save a single cent in the manufacturing cost. Well, to be honest, a few cents for not having the video and the live view button. But that's it. The sensor would not get cheaper, and the camera would still require the same logic board - you could build a camera with a cheaper logic board, but as this would need to be developed separately, that would actually *increase* the cost of the camera unless it would sell in vastly higher numbers than the M 240. So price-wise, don't expect a cheaper camera with the sensor of the M 240 any time soon.

Peter

• Like 1

The problem is, removing the video features from the M 240 wouldn't save a single cent in the manufacturing cost.

Peter

It wouldn't be the first time that a company has sold a camera with some features turned off as a lower end model, although the hardware is identical.

As an example I own a Sony F3 digital cinema camera. Initially it shipped as two separate models. One that only shot compressed video, the other uncompressed 444 slog. Same hardware, same camera, some features turned off. But there was a price difference of several thousands dollars. You could upgrade to slog 444 by purchasing a software key for about $3000 dollars.

In the long run it would probably be cheaper for Leica to go this route than handle two different assembly lines, suppliers etc. It may actually be cheaper and more profitable for them to consolidate. It works for Apple.

They would also benefit from an economy of scale, because they would be purchasing larger quantities of the same components which drives down their cost etc.

The sensor would almost certainly go down in price for Leica if they ordered them in larger quantities. Small scale production runs are very expensive, especially for semiconductors. Nikon can sell the D600 for under $2000 in part because Sony/Nikon make that FF sensor in very large quantities.

Edited by thrid
  • Like 1

Just don't go near the video button and your dream will come true! ;)

I'm not against the video features in the M240. This suggestion is not driven by ideology.

I think the M-E is a good idea. I just think the M9 sensor is not very competitive in 2013.

Edited by thrid
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe there will be an entry-level M based on the M Type 240, but probably not this year or the next. There is no way Leica could sell such a model at a considerably reduced price; removing the video mode would do nothing towards reducing the manufacturing cost.

Maybe there will be an entry-level M based on the M Type 240, but probably not this year or the next. There is no way Leica could sell such a model at a considerably reduced price; removing the video mode would do nothing towards reducing the manufacturing cost.

I understand that. Most of the video features are software with some minimal hardware support. Removing video will not lower the costs.

But pricing is related to marketing.

And running two separate assembly lines and inventory is a lot more expensive than consolidating to one set of components. Producing the sensor in larger quantities drives down costs for Leica etc.

For me personally it doesn't matter. I shoot film in my Leicas and have a D600 for when someone puts a gun to my head and insists on digital.

I think the M-E is a good idea. I just think the M9 sensor is not very competitive in 2013.

Maybe. The problem is that the optical rangefinders of the other digital camera makers aren't very competitive in 2013.;)

I went out shooting with my friend yesterday. He was using his NEX-7, which has a very good sensor. Granted we were shooting in daylight, and both using M-lenses, but I was much faster, and my focusing was much more accurate than his with an EVF and focus peaking.

I did pre-order the M240, but I can honestly say that I could probably shoot happily with my M9 for many years to come, and I might actually be more productive if I didn't keep chasing the next best thing.

I'm not against the video features in the M240. This suggestion is not driven by ideology.

The older the sensor the worse the image? I think not. The DMR is still more than excellent at lower ISO for instance. Sensors compete by output, not by date stamp.
  • Like 3

Yeah right, in the same way the M9 is a repackaged M3

The M9 and the M-E share the exact same firmware so they are infact based on the exact same hardware. Same hardware as the original M9 with a different wrapping and the removal of the USB port and frame selector switch.

The older the sensor the worse the image? I think not. The DMR is still more than excellent at lower ISO for instance. Sensors compete by output, not by date stamp.

Yes, the M9 / M-E sensor still delivers exactly the same IQ it did the day it was put on sale.

The release of the M 240 did not cause a sudden degradation in the IQ of the M9 / M-E and you could happily keep shooting it until it stops working.

But technology marches on and I can point to countless threads on this forum, with endless complaining about the M9 noise at higher iso and it's comparatively limited exposure range. Am I supposed to believe that it has somehow ripened like a fine wine? It is nearly 10 years old now, having evolved from the sensor that was in the M8. Are we having a collective attack of technological nostalgia? The M240 sensor promises to cure those issues, but of course if you are satisfied to continue shooting with a sensor that is almost a decade old, then by all means go ahead.

To me personally the M 240 sensor is something of a milestone. If it really does deliver 13-14 stops of usable range, then we will finally have a sensor that matches the performance that film has delivered for the past few decades. In other words it could represent a technological plateau. I could live with that for a very long time.

Edited by thrid

Sorry guys! I'm having a 'left field' moment.:eek:

When I sailed competitively, I knew a sailor who spent hours polishing the hull of his boat before a serious regatta. I'm sure someone could measure the advantage that gave him in reduced friction, but seriously, if he paid more attention to the nut holding the tiller his performance would have have been extraordinarily improved. That's how I ultimately beat him, by upgrading my personal skills, despite my rough old boat.

Likewise, my M9 (and others) are aging, so am I. I have just acquired a Leica 111f as well as some vintage lenses. All 1950's era. I am discovering that (I believe) my picture quality is improving despite the aging equipment employed, I think it is because I am being forced to think every aspect of my shots. The aging 'sensor' and 'klutsy' mechanics of the camera seem to evoke something better in this aging photographer. :D

I will (just for a change) sit back and watch the release of the new M, which I am sure will be a great success and I may eventually get one. But I am not holding my breath on seeing a sharp improvement in image quality because of it. That can only come from you/me/us.

Edit: ... and the whole point of having a camera is the image rather than it's technical superiority, isn't it?

Edited by erl
  • Like 1