ND Filters & Noctilux

nicks500

Advertisement (gone after registration)

is this what I want B+W 60mm 010M MRC Nano Coated UV Haze Filter - XSDP: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo. What is XSDP? is it just a slim mount?

No, that is a UV filter.

B+W ND filters have a 10X code, where the X is the number of stops.

If you want the multicoated version, be sure it also has a MRC in the name, or an M after the code (10XM).

Edited by CheshireCat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

The Heliopan Vario Gray ND 60mm filter seems to vary between 2 and 6 stops.  I tried it indoors under incandescent lighting on a Noctilux 0.95/50.  It fits great, but the numbers end up facing downward, making them impossible to observe unless you turn the camera over upside down.  The numbers ought to face upwards like all the other numbers on the lens do.  Come on Heliopan!  Also, the shade can be extended while the filter is attached, if for some reason one wants to do that.  I haven't tried the filter under normal daylight conditions yet.  Another gotcha on the Heliopan Vario Gray ND 60mm filter is that the numbers are NOT linear.  My observed measurements under incandescent lighting were as follows:

Setting / Observed Change in EV

0 / -2

1 / -2

2 / -2

3 / -2.5

4 / -2.5

5 / -2.5

6 / -3

7 / -3

8 / -3.5

9 / -4

10 / -4.5

11 / -5

12 / -6

So, 0-2 is no change from the two stops lost when mounting the filter, 3 to 5 lose another half a stop.  Then things speed up rather quickly.  6 to 7 another half a stop, 8 to 11 lose another half a stop EACH.  Finally at 12 lose a full stop.

Of course my testing was not technically scientific.  I focused at the same point in a room lit only by a ceiling light (which was not part of the picture or hitting the lens directly), adjusted the filter and observed the Leica M 240 meter reading (center-weighted).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Michael,

I doubt it is fair to blame the manufacturer for the non-linear response curve of a variable ND filter. Physics has been given to us without giving from somewhere else.

A variable ND filter is just two polarizes stacked together. The transmission intensity of polarizer as function of the angle is cos^2 (θ). That's no very linear for the most part.

You could certainly build some sort of mechanism that gives you a fairly linear response, or program some electronic doohickey that dies it for you, controlled by your iPhone or Android of course...

Are other variable ND filters you use more Lin ear?

Another gotcha on the Heliopan Vario Gray ND 60mm filter is that the numbers are NOT linear.  

• Like 1

Karbe: "Perlen vor die Säue"

A milestone and unfortunate historical statement from Leica through Karbe.

Karbe clearly prefers his lens to be used wide open. If Karbe believes that altering f-stops is to choose rendering, then why does not Leica supply ND filters or make his Noctilux with with a dial-in ND filter on the backside?

To take Karbe's declaration further, why does not Leica consider optics such as  Miyazaki's Sonnetar 50mm f1.1 which has an adjustment to vary aberration so that the user has a choice? To me Miyazaki's Sonnetar design is a enlightened choice. Miyazaki is not contaminated with the Teutonic penchant for classical metrics.

Edited by pico

I have used a 3 stop B+W on this years vacation in very sunny southern Portugal. But compensating with the full 3 stops rarely seemed to give anywhere near correct exposure. Typically 1-1.5 stops was more appopriate so I did not get quite the intended benefit. From a creative perspective, a bit like Olaf's view, this has still been sufficient for the look I was after.

As for Dr. Karbe's view, perhaps robustly expressed, surely the point of a Noctilux - or Summilux and even Summicron - is to give options. If you rarely use the option then what's the point, but if you adopt it as your only setting you would need to be a very fine photographer to avoid mannerism and kliches. Adopting such a limiting setting based on a tongue in cheek remark by the designer would seem ill considered :-)

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

I doubt it is fair to blame the manufacturer for the non-linear response curve of a variable ND filter. Physics has been given to us without giving from somewhere else.

A variable ND filter is just two polarizes stacked together. The transmission intensity of polarizer as function of the angle is cos^2 (θ). That's no very linear for the most part.

You could certainly build some sort of mechanism that gives you a fairly linear response, or program some electronic doohickey that dies it for you, controlled by your iPhone or Android of course...

Are other variable ND filters you use more Lin ear?

I think the appropriate thing for Heliopan to do would have been

1)  Align the threads so that the numbers face upwards

2)  Label the numbers in full stops with half stops available so that it has firm detents at full and half stops.  So, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are labeled with firm detents but also with unlabeled detents at the half-stops at 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5.  That would be really cool.

The way it is, it is usable but involves a much steeper learning curve.

don't the m240, m10 both have exposure simulation

Yes, definitely, but rolling shutter, poor dynamic range, and delay, were just too much of a hassle so I don't use Live View much.  Besides, using Live View pretty much defeats the whole reason of buying a rangefinder to begin with ... ;-)

I hhave both the fixed version and the variable heliopan.  I find I grab the fixed version the most, I live in Florida so get lots of sunlight. While I like the variable, it feels like it weighs as much as an old 35 lux!