Wait time for coffee stained M8?

_sparkie_

the invoice they sent me just says 'tax at 19% of €2542' so that bumps the total coast up just over €3000.

Yes 2542 + 483 (19% VAT) + 40 (shipping) = € 3065 if the invoice is issued by Leica Germany. Otherwise VAT rate in Ireland is 23% IIRC.

Is your M8 5 years old?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im not sure the exact date of my camera, does it make a difference to the price?

Yes indeed. According to Jip

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/260637-just-bought-m8-2-coffe-stain-2.html#post2223419

Within 2 years (warranty period): free of charge

Within 3 years: 1500 EUR (M9) or 1920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 4 years: 2000 EUR (M9) or 2420 EUR (M9-P)

Within 5 years: 2500 EUR (M9) or 2920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 6 years: 3000 EUR (M9) or 3420 EUR (M9-P)

... plus VAT.

Must be. I bought it secondhand from the Leica dealer in Dublin, it actually belonged to his father who kept it more as a precious item rather then using it. It had less then 400 shots on it when I bought it, I never knew the age of it and never asked as it was pretty much brand new.

Either way, I cant afford to take leica up on their offer of a refurbished M9. So I will be getting back my M8. Im a bit disappointed that they cant fix them anymore and the other solution is very far out of my price range but thats life and seeing as they have a monopoly on digital rangefinders I will have to accept it.

Must be. I bought it secondhand from the Leica dealer in Dublin, it actually belonged to his father who kept it more as a precious item rather then using it. It had less then 400 shots on it when I bought it, I never knew the age of it and never asked as it was pretty much brand new.

Either way, I cant afford to take leica up on their offer of a refurbished M9. So I will be getting back my M8. Im a bit disappointed that they cant fix them anymore and the other solution is very far out of my price range but thats life and seeing as they have a monopoly on digital rangefinders I will have to accept it.

:( :( :( Bummer!!!!

• Like 1

I guess this can be seen as a semi result, Leica messed up the quote they sent me to get my M8 realigned and posted back. I mailed them saying carry out the work at the wrong quote they gave me so they did it and now are not going to charge me anything! hopefully I will have my camera back soon and can start shooting again.

I guess this can be seen as a semi result, Leica messed up the quote they sent me to get my M8 realigned and posted back. I mailed them saying carry out the work at the wrong quote they gave me so they did it and now are not going to charge me anything! hopefully I will have my camera back soon and can start shooting again.

Yet another example of Leica integrity and customer service! Thanks for sharing _Sparkie_. :)

Free service - that is a good result :)

My coffee stained M8 is from 2008, so I would be looking at ~€2500 to change - I will pass for the moment. I wonder when they run out of M9s will Leica offer the M-E and if so, will the price of change be any less?

Free service - that is a good result :)

My coffee stained M8 is from 2008, so I would be looking at ~€2500 to change - I will pass for the moment. I wonder when they run out of M9s will Leica offer the M-E and if so, will the price of change be any less?

Remember those prices are without the added charges, mine was €2500 also but got pushed over €3,000 with taxes.

I'm thinking I'm just going to keep the M8 for a while, its in perfect condition (apart from the coffee stain) and it is a very light stain at that. It has no real affect on me.

So the issue is coming to an end, thanks to everyone fo your help.

Here is where most of my photos end up, its kinda messy and just the things that I see as I travel around. I am starting my first proper long term project when my Leica comes back so hopefully it will start focusing more on a theme and become more coherent.

Nine:FortyFour

Enjoy!

Hello LCT, hello everybody on this thread,

Where can I check the manufacturing year of my M8.2?

I bought it second hand, I searched on the internet for manufacturing years related to serial numbers, but the only reference I found is telling that all black M8.2 were produced in 2008, and all the silver M8.2 in 2009.....:mad:

Serial numbers compiled from known M8.2 cameras: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/M8.2

SN StartSN EndProductYearTotal-

355377 33558594-M8.2 (black) 2008 4822+-

3558844 3561121-M8.2 (silver)2009 2278+

-unknown3561123- M8.2 (white) 2010 12

TOTAL ASSIGNED SERIAL NUMBERS 2008-2010unknown

I don't get it... does it mean that in 2009 nobody wanted a black M8.2?

Any ideas? Thank you

Pablo

Yes indeed. According to Jip

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/260637-just-bought-m8-2-coffe-stain-2.html#post2223419

Within 2 years (warranty period): free of charge

Within 3 years: 1500 EUR (M9) or 1920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 4 years: 2000 EUR (M9) or 2420 EUR (M9-P)

Within 5 years: 2500 EUR (M9) or 2920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 6 years: 3000 EUR (M9) or 3420 EUR (M9-P)

... plus VAT.

Edited by Pablo LeicaM8

...the only reference I found is telling that all black M8.2 were produced in 2008, and all the silver M8.2 in 2009...

More indications than evidences there as my silver M8.2 should be black according to LeicaWiki.

I'm not sure at all but i guess that the production date is that of the Firmware Info screen, after "Body:"

Turn the camera on.

Press the right arrow key 4 times.

Press the left arrow key 3 times.

Press the right arrow key 1 time.

Press the INFO button.

Select "Firmware Info" if it is not selected already.

Press the SET button and you're done.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Never told you that my original firmware is from December 2009... when it was first sold is the question that Leica will be able to answer (I guess)...

Great trick with the arrows, thanks again!

More indications than evidences there as my silver M8.2 should be black according to LeicaWiki.

I'm not sure at all but i guess that the production date is that of the Firmware Info screen, after "Body:"

Turn the camera on.

Press the right arrow key 4 times.

Press the left arrow key 3 times.

Press the right arrow key 1 time.

Press the INFO button.

Select "Firmware Info" if it is not selected already.

Press the SET button and you're done.