Wait time for coffee stained M8?

_sparkie_

results!!! €130 is fantastic, it gives me hope that i will actually be able to afford to get a camera back. €2600 for the m9 is a lot cheaper then a new one and cheaper then any secondhand ones i have seen plus it will have a warranty. tough decision.

how long was it between you sending in your camera and getting an email of an offer back from leica? i am still waiting and its driving me crazy!

Sparkie, I received the new M-9 about three weeks after I agreed to the price - the conversation was by telephone with Leica USA. One would think Solms direct would be a few days faster. regards, ron

P.S. Sorry, I misread your question: the Solms offer was forwarded by Leica USA about 3weeks after Leica USA sent the camera to Germany. ron

Edited by Ronazle

The camera was NOT under warranty.

Remember 130 euros is for fixing other problems but NOT the monitor issue. Did you send the camera only for problems with monitor? If so, your only choice will be to have them send it back to you as it is ( of course you will pay for shipment and so on ) or pay for an M9.

Anyway 2,677 euro is good price but, i am talking here in italy, here used M9 ( with warranty ) currently sell for between 3000 and 3500 euros. Leica is offering me an ex demo M9, so it will be a used camera anyway, not a new one, and they are going to keep my M8, of coruse, i don't know how much they value it but finally my overall price including M8 would be anyway around 3,000 euros.

This is just for talking, since at the moment i can't spend much money, so 99% i am going to get my M8 fixed, keep the coffe stain, and then sell it for as much as i can.

I sent the camera to Solms on 21 december, they got it around 28 or 29, i don' t remember, i first was contacted around 2 or 3 of January.

Claude, while the thread was interesting, my interest is when my s/n Black M9 was made. The 4420xxx serial number strikes me as relatively recent (as of 12 December when I got it) production. While I understand that s/n in numerous industries are block allocated, the number seems quite high for m9 production. regards, ron

Dear Ronazle,

Sorry, I misread your question. As far as I understood Leica isn't giving any information about manufacture date versus camera serial number.

My M9-P is serial 4417xxx and has the new leathering as for the MM indicating that it has been assembled recently. What about yours?

Thanks.

Hello all, I posted this on another thread but will repeat for the benefit of those with questions. I sent my M8, long out of warranty, to Leica USA with a coffee stain problem The camera was sent to Solms for eval and several weeks later I received an offer for a new m9 with full warranty for $3K (USD). Several weeks later a new M9 (s/n 4420xxx) was received) The entire process took between 1.5 and 2 months. The NEW M9 was/is superbly aligned, rangefinder wise, and the auto exposure is much, much better than the M8. regards, ron

Hi Ron:

How long (approximately) between the time you paid and receipt of the new camera?

--martha

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Ron:

How long (approximately) between the time you paid and receipt of the new camera?

--martha

Sorry so slow but I've been gone. I believe it was, perhaps, a day or two over three weeks. I was just getting ready to call Leica USA and it came. Leica did not give me a "heads up" that it had been shipped. I may be a day or two off on the above. regards, ron

• Like 1

Dear Ronazle,

Sorry, I misread your question. As far as I understood Leica isn't giving any information about manufacture date versus camera serial number.

My M9-P is serial 4417xxx and has the new leathering as for the MM indicating that it has been assembled recently. What about yours?

Thanks.

Claude, Sorry so late and, also, my first reply seems to have disappeared. I'm not very finish knowledgeable, but my new, black, plain M9 is covered with a leatherette with a finish similar looking to my old M3. Unlike the M8s, I am happy with all aspects of the M9, so far. regards, Ron

Thanks,Ron. That tells me that the wheels of the Leica machine run SLOOOOOOOWWW....

Sparkie, it has been said that patience is a virtue and I am having a hard time right now being virtuous! It's been over 3 weeks at least since Solms has had my M8.2 and only one week since Leica USA said that the good folks in Germany were re-evaluating my situation (that is, that the camera is still under warranty and that their "generous" offer was out of line.)

My fate, I guess, is to let it go and when I least expect it, a camera will appear at my door....

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Its just annoying because I had to sell my canon set up to afford the M8, I dont have any other camera and I actually have a project starting up in a few weeks. It would be nice if Leica even gave a rough estimate in weeks at this stage rather then no information at all. I would have thought that a company with a known defect in one of its products would set up some kind of process for dealing with the problem and be able to offer some information. Patience is most definitely a virtue in this case.

Did you go through a dealer, or did you sent directly to SOLMS ?

In case you deal with them directly, you should have received their

response showing a servicenumber AND also a phonenumber. Call the person

mentioned in the letter and you will get an answer to all your questions.

Regards

GEORG

My exchange took about 4 weeks.

The longest part of the process was waiting for Solms to send the replacement camera after I had confirmed my choice.

I think I waited nearly ten days, and there was no notice that my camera had been dispatched; I only found out when I logged into the service area of the website.

Incidentally, my M8 had the coffee stain once before so I was shocked to see it again.

My exchange took about 4 weeks.

The longest part of the process was waiting for Solms to send the replacement camera after I had confirmed my choice.

I think I waited nearly ten days, and there was no notice that my camera had been dispatched; I only found out when I logged into the service area of the website.

Incidentally, my M8 had the coffee stain once before so I was shocked to see it again.

your M8 was coffee stained twice? as in, it went away and came back?

Thanks,Ron. That tells me that the wheels of the Leica machine run SLOOOOOOOWWW....

Sparkie, it has been said that patience is a virtue and I am having a hard time right now being virtuous! It's been over 3 weeks at least since Solms has had my M8.2 and only one week since Leica USA said that the good folks in Germany were re-evaluating my situation (that is, that the camera is still under warranty and that their "generous" offer was out of line.)

My fate, I guess, is to let it go and when I least expect it, a camera will appear at my door....

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Martha, being among the least patient of humans, it is hard to advise such. Hypocrisy aside. it appears that Leica USA has few employees and have real trouble executing the niceties (advance notice, et al) of the business; however, they have always been accurate with me and the transactions/repairs by them have been superb. My only direct dealing with Leica, Germany was many, many (circa ;1974) and was very satisfactory. regards, ron

PS: I must add that Leica USA's estimates of Solm's actions have always been optomistic

Edited by Ronazle
error