Wait time for coffee stained M8?

_sparkie_

Yes, absolutely, i talked on the phone yesterday with them.

They made this offer. They also said they can fix the camera regarding shutter problem and framelines BUT NOT the monitor, so "best case scenario" i pay for this repairment ( they still have to tell me how much and i am sure this won't be cheap, too ) and i have again my M8 with anyway the coffee stain defect. As i told before, i would like to sell the camera, and doing this with a defect of course it's a bit bad. :(

Yes, absolutely, i talked on the phone yesterday with them.

They made this offer. They also said they can fix the camera regarding shutter problem and framelines BUT NOT the monitor, so "best case scenario" i pay for this repairment ( they still have to tell me how much and i am sure this won't be cheap, too ) and i have again my M8 with anyway the coffee stain defect. As i told before, i would like to sell the camera, and doing this with a defect of course it's a bit bad. :(

Maybe your offer differs because your M8 has other issues than just the LCD.

I don't know, maybe, when i talked to them on the phone it seemed that they just checked when i bought the camera, and so this fits with that price table posted sometimes ago, regarding how old is the camera you send to Solms.

Anyway i am still waiting their reply by email, let's see what happens.

They offered me a DEMO M9… for 3,500 euros with 10% discount, so about 3,200 euro...
...they offered me an EX DEMO ( so USED one ) M9 for 3,570 euros...
…They also said they can fix the camera regarding shutter problem and framelines…

Not clear if Solms' offer was 3200 or 3750 EUR, VAT included or excluded, but for a 6 years old M8, their normal "price" for an M9 is 3000 EUR + German or Italian VAT.

Assuming that the invoice would be issued by an Italian dealer, you would have to pay normally 3000 + (3000 x 21% VAT) = 3630 EUR.

Then 3200 or even 3750 EUR VAT included does not sound unfair given that the expected repairs on shutter and framelines reduce the value of your M8, provided you like the M9 and you accept what i call the FULS, the Forced Update Leica Solution.

You know what i think of this solution if you've read me on this forum. Leica would not have a chance to win against me in a trial in France but in Italy i don't know.

BTW i would not be surprised if the M9s offered are ex demo bodies as there will be less and less new stocks available, if any, and you would get a 2 years Leica warranty anyway.

• Like 1

Last week Germany offered me, via Leica New Jersey, an M9 for $3400 US and an M9-P for $3879.44 US. for my coffee stained M8.2. When I pointed out that my camera was still under warranty and cited the above previous quote (from Jip, 31/10/12--thank you, Jip!), my newest best friend in New Jersey went into further negotiations with Germany on my behalf. We shall see....I will update when I know anything else. Yes, I would agree that the offers seem to have migrated somewhere north of reasonable.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week Germany offered me, via Leica New Jersey, an M9 for $3400 US and an M9-P for $3879.44 US. for my coffee stained M8.2. When I pointed out that my camera was still under warranty and cited the above previous quote (from Jip, 31/10/12--thank you, Jip!), my newest best friend in New Jersey went into further negotiations with Germany on my behalf. We shall see....I will update when I know anything else. Yes, I would agree that the offers seem to have migrated somewhere north of reasonable.

If your M8.2 is still under warranty, Leica should replace it with an M9 for no cost - they have done this in other cases, some of them noted within the threads on this forum. Someone from Leica is even quoted in the press that they were doing this to support their customers.

Out of warranty or where there is damage (rather than a fault) it is a different matter.

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 1

I suspect the fixed table quoted has migrated UP since they offered me an EX DEMO ( so USED one ) M9 for 3,570 euros !!!! My M8 is within six years so...

i feel really disappointed..i really feel i will have them to send me back my M8 with coffee stain and try to sell it like this anyway.

I am really surprised to hear that Leica dealt so poorly with you. Did you deal directly with them or through a distributor or dealer? I would certainly try a direct approach if not yet done.

P.S. I included the no VAT comment only to make sure others knew that VAT was not included in my $3K. regards, ron

Ok maybe i was not clear, sorry.

I talked directly with Leica in Solms, NO DEALER, i always talked ( and also email ) with the same kind person, who can speak very well Italian.

Their offer was 3,570 euros for a DEMO M9 and then they said that, due to be a DEMO body, i can have a 10% discount, so the final price would be around 3,200 euros.

BUT....

I just got another email still from the same Leica employer saying that she CHECKED AGAIN their offer for M9 but she prefers to talk on the phone so i don't know what to expect now. She will call me on Friday, because tomorrow she's out of office.

Yesterday, after the first talking, i then wrote her a long email where i pointed out lots of things that i think and i am not happy with, anyway in a very quiet and polite manner. Maybe this got their attention and so here is their new reply saying they checked again the offer..it should mean that the first offer was wrong, or at least it looks like this.

Let's wait until friday, i will keep you updated.

Pampaloni:

I hope that you get any offer in writing (either via post or email.) Always a good policy so everyone understands the rules.

Earleygallery:

Thanks for your optimism. I DO hope you are correct.

--martha

This sort of bears on the exchange problem. I'm sorry for being a little repetitive but: The M9 I received was in the 442xxxx range. Does anyone have knowledge of Leica assembling M9s (with o/h parts probably) for the exchange? Or is my supposition unrealistic - in any event, my M9 with the 442xxxx s/n is real and was received in December 2012. regards, ron

M9 Serial Numbers

Serial numbers compiled from known M9 cameras

SN Start SN End Product Year Total

34842275 3809531- M9 (black+grey) 2009 6,031+

3809781 3810825- M9 (black+grey) 2009 unknown

-38101XX 38114XX- M9 (black) 2009 unknown

-3834495 3842870- M9 (black+grey) 2010 unknown

-39045XX 3976573- M9 (black+grey) 2011 unknown

-unknown 4201448- M9 (black+grey) 2011 unknown

TOTAL ASSIGNED SERIAL NUMBERS 2009-2012 unknown

M9-P Serial Numbers

Serial numbers compiled from known M9-P cameras

SN Start SN End Product Year Total

42009XX 42032X- M9-P (silver) 2011 unknown

-4205157 4230778- M9-P (black) 2012 25,622+

-4339749 unknown- M9-P (silver) 2012 unknown

TOTAL ASSIGNED SERIAL NUMBERS 2011-2012 unknown

This comes from http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Mp#M9-p_Serial_Numbers

--martha

Martha, I had looked at the Wiki and gotten no pertinent result. Thats why again mentioned my s/n with an assumption (not deeply held): a sort of working assumption. Has anyone else received such a hign sn'd M9? regards, ron

Martha, I had looked at the Wiki and gotten no pertinent result. Thats why again mentioned my s/n with an assumption (not deeply held): a sort of working assumption. Has anyone else received such a hign sn'd M9? regards, ron

Dear Ronazle,

Please look at the following thread "Praise for Leica customer care with the M8.2"

Claude, while the thread was interesting, my interest is when my s/n Black M9 was made. The 4420xxx serial number strikes me as relatively recent (as of 12 December when I got it) production. While I understand that s/n in numerous industries are block allocated, the number seems quite high for m9 production. regards, ron

I got a call from Solms one hour ago.

Their first offer for Demo M9 was "wrong", now they offer me 2,677 euros, including VAT.

Or, they can fix my M8 ( but NOT the coffee stain, of course ) for 130 euros, they would repair everything as under warranty except the sensor problem with dead pixel line, which would cost 130 euro, including VAT.

I need some time to think about everything and then i will reply them.