Which paper do you use for printing your digital files?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought it would be interesting to share thoughts on how to print digital files. Many pictures only shine when printed properly on the right paper in an appropriate size!

I have the feeling that in the age of digital photography many people forget to print their pictures on actual paper. With ink-jet printers reaching reasonable prices, nowadays high quality fine-art prints can be made at home.

So it might be a good idea to post what kind of paper you are using for what kind of image.

Well, here I go:

Im currently printing on an Epson 3880 printer. Im super happy with the quality of the prints. However, i had some trouble finding the ideal paper for my BW prints.

After having tried several expensive and cheap papers, I found the Canson Baryta paper:

Canson Infinity - Baryta Photographique 310

When the first print came out my thought was: WOW! It has the look and feel of traditional baryta paper with a beautiful texture and depth. I find it especially great for BW photos, but also think it is a great paper for color-photos, where you want that extra punch in the finish.

What is your favorite paper?

I, too, like the Canson IBP. For photos that call for a progressively less white base, I use Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta, then Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl for an even warmer tone.

I do recommend custom profiles for the best results. A friend recently re-profiled my papers using more passes with updated software and there were additional improvements from my already great results.

I also like Ilford Gold Fibre Silk (now Prestige) for color work, although the Canson IBP is a good alternative.

Jeff

Thanks for your input!

Somehow i could never befriend myself with the Hahnemühle papers. Dont get me wrong, they are very nice papers, but the finish/feel never matched what i wanted from a photo. I guess i really should revisit the Hahnemühle Baryta…

What size do you usually print?

Usually my size is A3.

• 2 months later...
Guest Neal1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am using Art Card for print out the photographs and i prefer to this paper for print out because this is good and have a good result of your photos i am a professional photographer and using this card for print out the photo....

I came across a suggestion that a color laser printer can do well with color photos. I thought that was surprising... any experiences to share? And what paper(s) might be good in this application?

I use a paper called Somerset velvet.. Lovely texture but great resolution and dmax

Other than that how about a fibre gloss? Which prints with glossy inks but has a texture...

A

• 2 weeks later...

When appropriate for the subject, I love the matt papers. Hahnemühle Bamboo and PermaJet Museum are my choices; however, they have too much texture for many.

I'm not a big fan of gloss; however, some semi-gloss and "oyster" papers look good, but I've not found one I have not found one that has really taken me yet.

Since apparently (and rather abruptly) we are no longer able to source Epson's Velvet Fine Art in Australia (discontinued, with no explanation forthcoming from Epson) I am now using

Canson Infinity Photographique/Rag 310gsm/A3+......and like it better anyway, it goes fine with my Epson R3000 printer and produces lovely b&w prints.

Edited by platypus

I came across a suggestion that a color laser printer can do well with color photos. I thought that was surprising... any experiences to share? And what paper(s) might be good in this application?

I used several Xerox laser printers in my studio over the years. Mostly they are used to generate cheep ($1.50-$2.50) prints for artists who sell them for $15-$30 to tourists who can not afford an original or a giclee. There are some issues printing on color laser printers. The ones that use power toner tend to drift so profiling them for an exact color match can be a twice daily event. The wax toner lasers hold their color better but the surface of these prints is nothing to rave about.

Bottom line: if you need a cheep print then maybe you might be happy with a laser. But if you take pride in your art, go with a good paper and print with at least an Epson 3880.

Tom

Kauai's Printmaker

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you, Tom; we have a Color LaserJet in the office. Any paper suggestions?

Some years ago I enjoyed a stay in your vicinity, at a B&B in Kalaheo. I'll be back!

Doug

If that B&B was on Puuwai Road, I was nearly next door. My studio is in Lihue though.

My old 7700 toner based Xerox laser took nearly every paper I fed it. The Xerox brand 10 pt C1S looks good. My newer 8560 is wax based so I can not feed it glossy papers. I just use the Xerox brand 80 pound cover or 80 # Pegasus when I need an acid free stock.

I tend to use my Epsons for photo work though. In fact, I have a 9900 on order and am planning on converting my 9800s to 7 tone B&W printers... one running a neutral ink set and the other a warmer pure carbon ink set. Canson, Hahnemuhle and Illford papers...

I have recently done a fair bit of experimenting with B&W textured matt papers, colour difficult gamut and spent lots of time A-B ing in different light conditions :o I also sought comparisons from my friend and partner ;)

I have come to the conclusion that it is about taste but there was surprising consistency, I'll post my preferences if anyone is interested (using generic icc's) I have custom icc's for my preferred papers and spent some time endeavouring to get the best out of the ABW driver on my epson 3880. I do think the time spent with sample packs is worth it. (Please ignore the colour cast on the iphone 5 shot !)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by IWC Doppel