Leica M3 rangefinder problem with some lenses ?

Niko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Besides the light leaks ( http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m7-mp-film-m/265941-leica-m3-light-leak.html ) my M3 has another strange problem...

The rangefinder isn´t working properly with some lenses. The rangefinder works perfectly through the whole focusing range with my 50mm lenses (Elmar-M 50mm and Summilux-M 50mm ASPH). With my other two lenses (Elmar-M 24mm ASPH and Elmarit-M 90mm) the rangefinder works accurately from near range to about 3-4m but when i turn the focus ring to infinity the rangefinder in the camera goes a lot beyond. Of course this isn´t a problem with a 24mm, but it could be with a 90mm.

The easy answer would of course be that the 24 and 90mm lenses are in need of adjustment, but all of the lenses work properly on my MP ! Easy solution would be to retire my, at the moment troublesome, M3 and get another M but somehow i like my very worn M3 too much :)

The camera visited two repairshops recently and they couldn´t figure it out. Any ideas ?

Niko

Edited by Niko

That´s a good idea. I have checked that before by measuring, and it didn´t seem to be the problem.

With an Elmar 24mm i couldn´t see that area well enough through the shutter gate. I just recently got the Elmarit 90mm and must check it again, should be able to see more.

Niko

Best way to check this is to remove the base plate, raise the back door, set the camera on 'B' and open the shutter. Observe how the cam follower works from the back of the camera - you will be able to see its operation quite clearly.

Cheers,

Jan

• Like 1