V Lux- 4 Bridge Camera

Hallo a small contribution to judge this new camera.

best regards

Horst

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I previously owned a V-LUX 1 and really enjoyed what it could do at lower ISO settings but it was pretty dreadful indoors without a flash. The V-1 was also great for its internal zoom and manual focus abilities. That said, I like the D-LUX that I just picked up, it is really nice!

Enjoy your V-LUX 4!

BTW, you guys take some nice pictures!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Straight out of the box:

L1010004-M.jpg

L1010005-M.jpg

...and I'm a fair distance away as well....

NOW the dog "abuse" starts - he is used to this:

(had to drop some out of the post...had too many....I did play with the white balance some and got varying results - not the cameras fault!!)

L1010030-M.jpg

And finally, the "Ok dude, this is getting old already" face:

L1010032-M.jpg

At this link you'll find some unboxing pics (by cell/mobile phone camera) and the rest of the dog torture...(for PETA readers: NO animals were harmed in the making of these pictures....slightly inconvenienced from a mid morning nap, but NO harm...):

LEICA VLUX 4 - autolox's Photos

DISCLAIMER: I have not printed the manual yet....I'm like a kid in a candy store wanting to play....I'll get to the manual on a rainy day I promise

The tiny bit so far indicates to me this is a VERY capable camera. My goal with this purchase is to replace my DSLR rig. We are interested in doing more bike touring and the DSLR rig is just too much to carry on a trip like that.

My existing "kit" is:

Nikon D300

Nikon 14-24 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VRI, 24-85 2.8, 105 2.8

(a couple of others...)

But I am seeing that this little camera is clearly capable of all of that gear easily. There's definitely something to the red dot!

Edited by VABikePacker
  • Like 1

Nice first images from your camera.

The disk has your manual on it. Also, instructions for downloading Lightroom 4 are in the basic instruction booklet. You're going to really enjoy this camera.

Cheers

So far so good Bill!! Drained the battery already....(it wasn't fully charged anyway...just cut off in the middle of trying a movie...)

I did get an "expo disc" with it. I've had good success with that with the DSLR, so, I figured it would make a good accessory for the VLUX.

Thanks for your posts - that eagle shot is quite nice!! We passed through your neck of the woods in 2010 to visit some friends up around Bonner's Ferry - spectacular area!! Can't wait to get back out there!!

My apologies for the content being just my dog and bike but, they were right here..

The redux of the bike was done in the macro mode. I'm REALLY liking this camera!! If this is any indication of the kind of cameras the higher end Leica's are....whoa....

As far as posting your FZ pics - that's way above my pay grade to grant that permission!!

Pana. FZ200=(V-lux4)

F200, ISO100, F2.8, LF600mm, V1/2000

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 months later...

Leica AG presents the LEICA V-LUX 4, a digital bridge compact with a high performance lens, with its wide range of video functions and an impressive list of features, incorporating versatility with low weight (based on the Panasonic DMC-FZ200), The V-LUX 4 is ideal for shooting landscapes, architecture, sport, travel, portraits or wildlife.

The newly designed LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT 4.5-108 mm f/2.8 ASPH, 24x super telephoto zoom lens has an impressive 14 elements in 11 groups (5 aspherical lenses, 9 aspherical surfaces) its focal lengths are equivalent to 25–600 mm in 35 mm format. A new unique feature of this Leica lens is that the maximum aperture stays at a super fast f2.8 all through the entire zoom range compared to most zoom lenses where it is usually decreases gradually by 2 or 3 f stops when zoom to the telephoto range making this a very fast lens for a camera in this bridge camera class plus the added optical image stabilizer allows the use of lower shutter speeds that ensure less camera shake when handheld especially when using longer focal lengths.

Max sensitivity of 6400 ISO and 12Mp CMOS sensor combined with f2.8 help unfavourable lighting conditions. The camera delivers up to 12 frames per second at full resolution and captures even fast-moving subjects in richly-detailed and pin-sharp focus. The autofocus reacts to changes in less than a tenth of a second and makes it able to reliably capture fast moving subjects, ideal for sport photography and for shooting continuous sequences.

This V-LUX 4 features video at full HD video in AVCHD format with 1920 × 1080 pixels and 60 full frames per second while an integrated stereo microphone with an electronic wind noise filter guarantees a crystal clear soundtrack. Video data can be saved in MP4 format and can be uploaded to social media or mobile devices without any need for conversion.

Its integrated handgrip keeps it steady, even when shooting one-handed. All of its controls are clearly laid out and simple to use, such as video recording which can be started or stopped quickly and easily at the touch of a dedicated button on the top of the camera.

The new electronic viewfinder of the V-LUX 4 has a resolution of 1.4 megapixels @ 100% field of view. The viewfinder has dioptre correction and is a very attractive and practical; a very detailed and bright EVF viewfinder is perfect when shooting in bright light.

The 3" LCD display is very bright with a new higher resolution than any older models @ 460,000 pixels making it very good for composing your photographs even in brighter lighting conditions. As with its predecessor (the V-LUX 3) this camera’s LCD monitor screen can be rotated in almost any directions allowing the photographer much more versatile viewing angles that make it ideal for shooting @ high angles overhead in crowds or when doing low shots that make it particularly useful in the macro mode. As is quite usual on all bridge and DSLR cameras a pop up flash is built into the top of the viewfinder/pentaprism unit, flash modes AUTO, AUTO with pre-flash (red-eye reduction), AUTO with slow sync and pre-flash, on, off.

Now on to its vast specifications, zooms optical 24x plus digital 4x, shutter speeds 60s-1/4000th,. Exposure modes - Automatic programme (P), automatic aperture priority (A), automatic shutter priority (S), manual setting (M). Scene modes 15- Portrait, Soft skin, Self-portrait, Scenery, Panorama assist, Sports, Night portrait, Night scenery, HDR, Food, Baby 1, Baby 2, Pet, Sunset, 3D Photo. Built in sockets, USB, Mini-HDMI cable (Type C), AV-out: (PAL), charger socket, microphone socket. Super fast burst rates with various settings 2.fps/12MP, 5.5fps/12MP, 12fps/12MP and up to an amazing 60fps but the quality would drop to 2.5MP.

The battery is beefed up to 540 images (CIPA standard) W x H x D 125.2 x 86.6 x 110.2 mm, weight 590g.

Also included is the lens cap, battery charger, battery, tulip lens hood, carrying strap, AV cable, USB cable, CD with detailed instructions plus the professional still picture and video processing software Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4. A 2 year unconditional guarantee is provided plus the new Leica passport.

What is a Leica Passport?

A Leica passport protects your treasured Leica against all accidental damage for the first year from purchase date. During the period of cover, if you drop and break, any item protected by the passport, Leica will either repair or replace the item with a new one free of charge.

Many people who read reviews of cameras on the internet naturally compare the Japanese made Leica’s with the “sister” “doppelganger” Panasonic model and fail to understand why the Leica’s cost a lot more, there are many reasons here are the main and most important reasons.

(a) The lenses take 40 minutes for each element to be individually ground, polished and tested. Made on German imported machines to Leica tolerances and use Leica lens coatings.(The Panasonic Lumix ones are mass produced on their own machines and use their own “Nano” coatings).

(B) The CCD’s are individually tested to Leica manufacturing tolerances and are made by Kodak, Sony etc.( Panasonic Lumix ones are not).

© The Panasonic made Leica’s are ALL sent in to Leica AG, Solms, to be inspected by hand/eye then wired to a computer to have the firmware (digital only) added so each image gives the “Leica look” European skintones and other colour rendition and LCD menu changes, then tested again.

(d) Boxed and packaged in Germany.

(e) Appropriate Adobe® /Photoshop®/ Lightroom® / Premiere®/ Elements® software added

(f) 2 year unconditional guarantee and Leica Passport (covers accidental damage) instructions and other documents added.

(g) The distinctive RED Leica logo is added.

(h) Many models have different outer bodies often made of aluminium or even titanium and different switches/dials and buttons.

(i) Resale values, for example a mint Leica DIGILUX 3 sold on Ebay for £799, the Panasonic equivalent DMC-L1 £224!

(j) Leica Passport, A Leica passport protects your treasured Leica against all accidental damage for the first year from purchase date. During the period of cover, if you drop and break, any item protected by the passport, Leica will either repair or replace the item with a new one free of charge

The OP asked if there was any difference between the Leica and its Panasonic sibling. There is. I know there are folks who will argue until the sun goes down that all Leica did was put a red dot on the Panny and raise the price $300. Leica has said what the differences are and having owned both I know there is a difference. But the differences are sometimes very slight and at other times more pronounced regarding the colors the two cameras produce. There are also a few slight physical differences between the two camera bodies as well. Both take excellent photos. No need to argue the topic or debate the issue. Just pick one and be happy.

Here is a photo taken with the Panny: medium.jpg

And one taken with the Leica: medium.jpg

I know this isn't an apple to apples comparison as they are two different types of pictures. But the images will give you an idea of how the two cameras render colors as well as how sharp the lens in both cameras are. I really like both cameras and can say that the Panasonic really benefits from having Leica glass.

Edited by Jon_Doh