V Lux- 4 Bridge Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I keep looking at this camera as a carry around bridge camera, specs and lens on paper are impressive - any real life information on this camera ? does anyone have it ? tried it? i know the Panasonic version is simlar -- any experreince with that ?

Thanks in advance

I keep looking at this camera as a carry around bridge camera, specs and lens on paper are impressive - any real life information on this camera ? does anyone have it ? tried it? i know the Panasonic version is simlar -- any experreince with that ?

Thanks in advance

"Same procedure as every year" - I mean as with any new PanaLeica Camera - we can read so often here in the forum: the Panasonic version is cheaper of course. Some say there is another firmware on the Leica version and the pics seems to be a little better, some others say that is not true. Well, however, I think, if you are Leica Fan and you like the red dot and the (from my opinion) more better - because kind of "spartanic" - design of Leica version, buy these. If you have some little kids at home one may buy the Panasonics and invest the saved money into toys and pampers ;) Of course (of the label) the money you get back if you sell the camera is higher with Leica Logo. That is a fact, but for me, it would not be important. I do not think of reselling a camera when I just buy one. I just can say I would every time buy the Leica version because I like the Leica service also and in general Leica (as a german company - and I live in Germany) get some money also (sorry for my patriotism :D).

In fact, there is not much reports about the V-Lux 4 on the web. But I found some:

Leica V-Lux 4 user report in the ZOO with lots of images.: Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

(nice fotos in the zoo, especially watching the elephants! Impressive)

http://www.reddotforum.com/content.php/304-Leica-V-Lux-4-Review

(interesting comparism)

I own the V-Lux 1 (I bought it not long ago in excellent quality, used). The reason is that the zoom ring is manual (no motor zoom which is not so quick and precise) and also the inside focussing lens does not change the size during zoom in and out). At V-Lux 2,3,4, there is a long tubus coming out. That is the biggest disadvantage. On the other side the V-Lux 3 and 4 is really very compact. I also like these. The image quality of my V-Lux 1 is - for a bridge - outstanding! One can play with the sharpness and I think the newer V-Lux 4 has a better image stabilizer, also the stable aperture of 2.8 is really great. There are only 2 bridges I now that feature: former Panasonic FZ-10 (long time ago) and now the Leica V-Lux 4.

If you need a reliable camera with excellent aftersale service - I think you may buy the Leica V-Lux 4 and sure you won´t regret it. But also the FZ-200 is not bad, it is nearly the same, with same lens, some other firmware and some other software delivered with the cam.

In the german forum there is a nearly same thread, and one user mentioned that the Panasonic puts a little magenta touch on the pics. Also there comes Lightroome 4 with the V-Lux 4. So there are really differences which IMHO equalize the price difference.

If you may read german you can see that thread here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-d-lux-leica-digilux/266142-new-v-lux-4-a.html

Edited by Digitom
addendum
  • Like 1

My DMR, R8 and favorite lens were in for service in Germany much longer than originally promised. Leica was kind enough to let me borrow a V Lux 2 for our trip to Antarctica and northwestern Argentina. You can see the results of that camera on our site in the Antarctica, the NW Argentina, and the Buenos Aires galleries on our site. My only two objections to the V Lux 2 were that manual focus was very clunky do do (but autofocus was fast and accurate), and its low light performance was inferior to my 2004 designed Digilux 2. My wife surprised me on Christmas day with a V Lux 4 and in almost every way it is superior to the V Lux 2. Manual focus when necessary is fairly easy to accomplish, and low light performance is greatly improved. The camera starts up much quicker, and autofocus is very fast. I have an image below that I shot on December 26 of the eagles on the Chrysler Building, most of the way to the top, shot from street level two blocks away. You can see some other shots with that camera, also on the 26th, before dawn, of some department store windows, at this link: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/266515-per-eces-request-bg-windows-lot.html#post2272491.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Thanks ! ,

Good advice Digitom ! and interesting shots of the Zoo.

Stu, Nice detail on the Chrysler building - one of my favorites and I happen to work near by in the Grace building so im VERY familar - the detail is there ! The windows at Bergdof ... well nothing short of virbrant.

I did hold a V LUX 4 and play with it at the the new leica boutique store in SOHO , wow nice shop ! i was slightly turned off as it doesnt quite have the leica "feel" in weight and substance, but perhaps that is one of its benifites - a carry around camera

Having an R9 (recently sold the DMR) and a small stable of R lenses im just not sure what i want ...... now im thinking about the M with adapter..... but clearly the Vlux 4 is for a differnt purpose ..... and considering all seems reasonably priced

thanks

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been using a V-LUX 4 for the past month. For a light carry around camera, it's a pleasure to have. It does take some time to take advantage of its multiple features but well worth the effort. The 2.8 aperture at all focal lengths is a major achievement. Overall, it's a very good multi use camera.

• Like 1

I also have the V-Lux 4, but haven't had an opportunity to use it very much yet.

Other than the motorized zooming, it seems much better than the VL-1 it replaced.

Here'e a link to a British fellow with an excellent series on it's twin, the FZ200.

It might be more info than you need:

Graham's Video Channel .... - YouTube

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did purchase the Vlux -4, initial results are very good, im happy with the zoom capabilities and ofcourse the 2.8 thru the zoom is very nice - im VERY impressed with the image stabilization - there is something about zooming to 400mm and doing it handheld that is remarkable to me. Im shhoting indoors and fast action so im pushing the ISO quite high and please with results. im super inpresed that the camera can take 40 and even 60 frames per second - WOW and it really does !

Im not so happy with the "feel and build" its certainly does NOT have the leica feel. but for what it is its a darn good camera

• Like 1

I own a V-LUX 4 Purchased one in late November 2012 when they first hit the market in the U.S.

I find it a very interesting camera. To this day, I've yet to learn all this camera can do. Having used its competition by Nikon & Canon, the V-LUX 4 out performs them hands down. It's a great camera in it's class. You will be pleased with its images.

• Like 1

While killing some time beofre dinner Barbara and I were seated in a fairly dark section of Chelsea Market. As she busied herself on her iPad I experimented some with the V-Lux 4 -- things I'd been meaing to do. Most improtant was to shoot the same photo at ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600 and 3200. The differences in quality were remarkably small, making the higher ISO settings usable in places like dense rain forests. I also tried the multi frames (worked well at "12", the only setting I tried), and the video worked well, too, suggesting that capturing animal behaiors with the camera should be doable.

Stuart,

I find your above comments about the V-Lux 4 very interesting. I've also been investigating its capabilities.

I have found downloading and printing the cameras manual from the Leica website to be very helpful. At a little over 200 pages, I must say it's far from a general walk-thru. Much to learn in order to fully appreciate this camera.

Cheers,

Bill

I've bought one!

The weather's been to dreadful to get out and take photos so I've just been messing about at home, and its encouraging.

Here's a shot straight from the camera, shot handheld in poor daylight at ISO 800, f2.8 shot in uncompressed RAW so there's no processing apart from converting to an sRGB jpeg so I can post it here.

Its a boring photo but you can get some idea of what type of file it produces, and a little work in LR should improve things somewhat.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1

And another, iso 100 with built-in flash. Pardon the crumbs.

Peter,

Congratulations on buying a V-Lux 4.

Lightroom will do a fine job of tweaking your images. I've found downloading and printing the user manual from the Leica website invaluable. You will spend hours discovering and implementing the setting options this camera offers.

Enjoy

• Like 1

And finally, one from the bathroom window, at iso 400, at 600mm (equivalent) zoom, and f2.8. I've done a small amount of LR processing here because the misty conditions with such a long focal length created a haze, so I've increased contrast a little and reduced noise proportionately. Again, it gives an idea of what the files can bear.

Thanks Northwest, (sorry I don't know your name), I've only taken a few photos so far, on straightforward Aperture Priority mode. I can see there's a huge amount to learn.

My usual camera is at Solms at the moment so I have the chance to spend some time with this one, though I expect more than a little time is required! Its great fun though, a delightful little camera.

Peter,

Nice image.

You are going to find the V-Lux 4 is a very capable camera. Do, download the manual. It will explain all the options his camera offers. It is invaluable to get the most out of this camera.I've been using the V-Lux 4 since late November and I'm still learning every day.

Cheers

• Like 7