M 240 AA filter or not

cirke

Ha ha! yes it is written nowhere that there are bubbles in Champagne either... or is it? :D;) More seriously, it is common knowledge that the M-240 sensor has no AA filter. This is confimed among others by Sean Reid who worked on the new M as you know.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there any confirmation somewhere from Leica that the new M will not have a AA filter ?

for the moment it is unclear

I haven't seen it anywhere in print that no AA filter is present. Pure conjecture on my part: I wonder if Leica are waiting until testing is complete to keep their options open?

I asked at the Leica stand at Photokina and was told it had no AA filter.

There is an interview with Stefan Daniel of Leica here, where he says no AA filter is present.

Guess we will just have to wait until the camera is released for the definitive answer.

Besides Stefan Daniel, also Yesko Von Oeynhausen stated clearly, in a public interview, that the M240 sensor has not AA filter;

in the sensor manufacturer' site (CMOSIS) is written that "...It is housed in a 78-pin ceramic package covered by a customized glass with anti-reflective coating and near-infrared cut-off filter".

• Like 1

If you received that answer, why would you question it? Furthermore, why would you turn to a forum whose users likely have less information than you do (seeing as how you've already asked those associated with Leica). I am not trying to be too hard on you, I just don't understand what you expected to find here, aside from sarcastic answers.

If you received that answer, why would you question it?
Because I am used to the answer of sellers (and they don't know all) , and I found nowhere written by Leica that there is no AA filter

I just don't understand what you expected to find here

A link , thanks to luigi bertolotti http://www.cmosis.com/news/press_releases/new_leica_m_uses_cmosis_24_mp_cmos_image_sensor

aside from sarcastic answers.
Yours is the first sarcastic answer Edited by erick

If you received that answer, why would you question it? Furthermore, why would you turn to a forum whose users likely have less information than you do (seeing as how you've already asked those associated with Leica). I am not trying to be too hard on you, I just don't understand what you expected to find here, aside from sarcastic answers.

Yikes! Everyone, give the op courtesy at least! Why wouldn't he ask here, where individuals who just might know something he doesn't are likely to read his question? What exactly is the purpose of the forum after all? Wishing a happy and more civil new year to all.....Peter

• Like 2

Wouldn't be the first time that Leica have given wrong information about their own product!

When the M8 was first released people here started to query why blacks came out purple. Leica denied there was any problem at first.......

Is there any confirmation somewhere from Leica that the new M will not have a AA filter ?

for the moment it is unclear

HI Erick

I've discussed this with both Stefan Daniel and Jesko von Oeynhausen face to face as it were (i.e. in the same room). I've also read it in interviews with them both.

I've just looked through the Leica documentation, and as you say, it isn't mentioned. However, it seems very likely that these two would not know about their own sensor, and even more unlikely that they would spread misinformation.

Of course, one can always choose to disbelieve, but then you can disbelieve printed matter as well!

All the best

HI Erick

it seems very likely that these two would not know about their own sensor, and even more unlikely that they would spread misinformation.

Who says that ? me ? I have not discussed this with Stefan Daniel

Of course, one can always choose to disbelieve, but then you can disbelieve printed matter as well!

I don't believe or disbelieve I am just asking if someone has the information that I have not

I haven't seen it anywhere in print that no AA filter is present. Pure conjecture on my part: I wonder if Leica are waiting until testing is complete to keep their options open?

The decision for or against an antialiasing filter would have been made early on in the design process. It’s not an easy one to overthrow later either.

(Btw, I don’t remember Leica having mentioned the absence of an antialiasing filter in the specs of the M9. But then of course it is part of Leica’s design philosophy to do without an antialiasing filter.)