SF-58 Secondary Flash

Luke_Miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My normal mode is bounced flash with the SF-58. I love the concept of the secondary flash that can be used to add catchlights and lighten shadows under the eyes that bounced flash can produce. In my use however, even at its lowest setting, it outputs too much light and creates the harsh shadows that undiffused direct flash tends to create. So I have to turn it off. From my perspective the secondary flash is a great concept, but flawed in its implementation. Hopefully Leica will release a firmware update to the flash that will allow power settings lower than the current 1/4 power minimum.

Anyone else use the secondary flash?

My opinion is that the secondary flash destroys the whole idea of directional flash that can be obtained from bouncing the main flash at an optimal angle. The secondary flash simply flattens out the total lighting.

Edited by kcnarf
to add a few words

Yes, that is the result I see when I use the secondary flash. It has the potential to add just a touch of useful fill light if only the output could be reduced far enough.

Luke,

I totally agree. It is too bright/harsh and I too have stopped using it other than outdoors, where it is OK. I wonder if we could experiment with some tissue paper taped across it. I know this is a bit "Heath Robinson" but it would have the benefit of diffusing the secondary flash as well as reducing output. I don't think there is any sensor in this secondary flash, which the diffuser would upset. My older Metz flashes used to have a pair of neutral density filter/diffusers hidden in the base, which you could slide over the secondary flash. I use the SF58-D with a STO-FEN diffuser on the main flash most of the time anyway. The Omni Bounce OM-MZ80 is the one that fits the SF58-D - a good $20 worth.

Wilson

It is possible to put a neutral density gell over the secondary flash with a couple of hair bands. The gells come in various densities.

Blu-Tak would work as well, to hold the gel in place.

Wilson

Luke,

I totally agree. It is too bright/harsh and I too have stopped using it other than outdoors, where it is OK. I wonder if we could experiment with some tissue paper taped across it. I know this is a bit "Heath Robinson" but it would have the benefit of diffusing the secondary flash as well as reducing output. I don't think there is any sensor in this secondary flash, which the diffuser would upset. My older Metz flashes used to have a pair of neutral density filter/diffusers hidden in the base, which you could slide over the secondary flash. I use the SF58-D with a STO-FEN diffuser on the main flash most of the time anyway. The Omni Bounce OM-MZ80 is the one that fits the SF58-D - a good $20 worth.

Wilson

It's interesting indeed to compare the secondary output of the 58 with that of the older Metz 54 MZ. With the 54 the light outputs are in the ratio 15% to 85%. In addition the clip on reducer halves the secondary output in addition. It therefore seems a bit strange that the minimum output of the new 58 is 1/4.