M6 TTL viewfinder upgrade

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Still trying to fix the viewfinder in my M6 TTL. My favorite Leica M for my 55 year old eyes is my M3, it is my fastest, easiest focusing M body. But there are many times when I miss the internal light meter.

I could order an MP á la carte with the .85 viewfinder, and the 85.4 frame lines (35/135, 50, 90) and it would probably be closest to the M3, but I don't have an extra six grand lying around.

Does anyone know if Leica can put that .85 viewfinder in an M6 TTL, and then hopefully also put in only the four, or better yet three (35, 50, 90) frame lines?

Has anyone had this done to their M6 TTL? And if so, what was the cost?

Thanks for all info on this.

I had an M6ttl 0.85 that needed repair for an advance problem. When I sent it in for repair I added the upgrade to an MP viewfinder. It has not flared once. The MP viewfinder reduces flare but if it is your eyes rather than flare that is another issue. If you use a 50mm lens then that is the way to go....85 viewfinder....IMHO.

Don Goldberg of DAG installed the missing condenser in the finder of my M6 and made it near perfect. I understand that blanking out unwanted frame lines is a simple matter. I do not know about changing magnification from 0.72 to 0.85. You could reach Don through DAG Camera Parts. I understand that Sherry Krauter is also excellent and is rather faster. She can be reached through Sherry Krauter.com -- Home of the Golden Touch.. Leica in New Jersey are said to be more expensive than either. I am 62, by the way, and I have no trouble focussing a 90mm Elmarit and a 135mm Hektor through a 0.72 finder. My cameras have vision correction installed.

Judging by the other replies, I may have completely misunderstood your question, Jim. However it seems to me that you're asking if it is possible to change to a different magnification to make the M6TTL better correspond to the M3, as opposed to simply installing the MP viewfinder upgrade to prevent flaring.

I emailed Leica UK about changing the viewfinder of my M6TTL from a 0.72x to an 0.85x. After checking with Leica Germany, they replied that it can be done and that the price would be approximately £800 including VAT.

I believe also non-Leica service points can carry out this upgrade, perhaps cheaper.

It is also possible to remove framelines by changing the mask.

Btw, the Leica representative who replied to me also advised of the significantly cheaper option of simply adding a 1.25x magnifier (code 12004 £230) to the viewfinder which would turn the 0.72x into a 0.90x. The 1.4x magnifier turns it into a 1.008x.

Hope it helps

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for all the replies.

Philip, I never thought about that 1.25 magnifier, I may look into that, thought I'm not a huge fan of something hanging off the back of the camera.

If the cost for Leica to do this is more than $1000 US, I may just sell the M6 TTL and a couple other bodies I have and save up for the MP á la carte.

Thanks again for all the replies.

• Like 1

I tried a magnifier on an M2 but it seemed like a wart. More important, it had to be removed when a 35mm lens was used and the one I had did not permit the use of a diopter.

I am a 50mm and longer user but sometimes use 35mm also. In my 0.72 finder I cannot quite see the 28mm lines. I have been told that in the 0.85 finder the 35mm lines are similarly not so visible. Thus I am glad that I could not afford the premium that the higher magnification bodies command.

The finder "upgrade" cost me $200, and I could have had frame lines blanked at the same time but did not think of that. No harm in your wanting an unreasonably expensive variant, but your present camera can be modified at much less cost.

• Like 1

I am a big fan of the Japan Exposures 1.15X magnifier with variable dioptre. I will be ordering another one soon, as I still expect to be using my M9 a lot even after the M240 arrives. It is excellent quality magnifier, the dioptre adjustment works well and it's pretty unobtrusive. I really cannot understand why Leica have not done something similar. Dirk runs the website very well and items are sent off very quickly.

Wilson

• Like 2

I'm not sure how much you use the 35, but on a .85 body the frame lines for anything wider than the 50 can become difficult to see. I had my M6ttl converted from a .85 to .72 for this very reason. I simply could not see the 35mm frame lines properly, because they were so close to the edge of the viewfinder. You will also loose the 28mm frame lines. I really did not see a noticeable increase in focusing accuracy with the .85 and that was with a Noctilux.

I have the x1.25 magnifier. It works as advertised, but you just need to get used to it sticking out a few millimeters from the eyepiece.

• Like 1

I've got a M6TTL 0.85 and love it.

See here the frame lines and viewfinder.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

35-135 then 50-75 then 90 (minus the 28)

This would be my perfect set of lines:

35-50-90 I don't use 75 and 135 anyway. The 135 isn't really annoying but the 75 inside of the 50 is annoying.

So maybe: 35-135 50 90

• Like 1

I didn't pick up on the 135 lines inside the 35 lines.

Yeah, my ideal set of lines would match my lens set, 35, 50 and 90. Did you have your viewfinder upgraded with the "MP" upgrade, which is supposed to reduce the flaring effect and increase the contrast somewhat?

I have not had it updated which I only notice in low light situations where bright points of light from the side create this annoying effect. I'm gonna let it me upgraded non Leica by adding a filter or something. Works almost as good, and only costs 40€ @ Will van Manen

Given that the trouble is caused by something within the finder -- the removal of a condenser and, apparently, the introduction of a parabolic mirror -- I do not see how the addition of an external object can be a solution. What is called an upgrade is in fact the restoration of the finder optics to what they were in the M4 and earlier models. I found my M6 virtually unusable until I had this work done. Many people can get by without it: but I had almost a quarter century of experience with flare free M finders.

An alternative would be the Leicagoodies SHADE at $15 incl postage. I have not tried it myself but know others who have and were impressed.

Wilson

Yes I was thinking of trying that first! :D

• 4 weeks later...