Tempted by M-E ?

Etruscello

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the least desirable of the Ms is the M9P.

All the others are beautiful in their own way, but the P is a very sullied product, like the Hermes editions, by virtue of existing solely for aesthetic/cosmetic considerations rather than functional reasons, the antithesis of the Leica ideal.

In this respect, the ME is far superior.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this Peter. Although the M-E shares the same internals as the M9 and M9P they returned to the Leica red dot logo in the front. While that's irrelevant to some, there are many who really don't care to have their camera that attention-grabbing. And I agree that the Sapphire LCD screen is a welcome addition. Just this week I had the choice between buying a slightly used M9P and the M-E for the same money, and I chose the M9P for the cosmetics and the LCD.

I would go so far as to suggest that perhaps the M9P will be seen as desirable for years to come. Limited production numbers and an attractive visage are always good for keeping demand up.

• Like 2

The M-E has nothing that interests me. The M? Now there is something which interests me. In the next week or so I'll be renting an MM to see how it compares to my M8.2 conversions. Most of the MM shots posted here have been less than impressive but I want to find out for myself. If the MM is not for me, then the M will have my attention.

Wow, I just noticed I hit the six year membership mark here. Certainly in the digital field of Leica cameras much has changed since I bought my first M8. Still miss my film M's, though. They were damn tough cameras.

How did it go? I have mixed feeling about the MM and still prefer the M8 files converted to B&W, based on what I've seen.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this Peter. Although the M-E shares the same internals as the M9 and M9P they returned to the Leica red dot logo in the front. While that's irrelevant to some, there are many who really don't care to have their camera that attention-grabbing. .................

Its a personal thing. I don't think the red dot is "attention seeking" at all. I really don't believe anyone ever notices it.

But I understand if you have a different preference. The point is that to get rid of a red dot, you have to pay a huge extra price, and for me that actually undermines the notion that the M9P is somehow the "purer" camera. I called it sullied for that reason.

The fact that the M9 is functionally identical to the M9P but at about 80% of the price makes it the "superior" camera, even if the lack of the red dot is desirable to some.

• Like 2

Its a personal thing. I don't think the red dot is "attention seeking" at all. I really don't believe anyone ever notices it.

exactly! i think it's hilarious how people spend so much effort to get rid of the red dot. a bit too self conscious really.....

The frame selection lever is nice when trying to imagine alternative framings, especially with lenses you don't own, but that's only 5% of the time. Rest of the time it's one more thing to get broken. The USB I'd miss but that's only because I've neglected to buy an up-to-date card reader.

I've been using Leica M cameras since the M6TTL was new. I never knew what the selection lever was for. :confused: I've never used the USB on any of my cameras. The M-E was made for me. ;) I'm just waiting on Amazon to get a few in.

• Like 1

I've been using Leica M cameras since the M6TTL was new. I never knew what the selection lever was for. :confused: I've never used the USB on any of my cameras. The M-E was made for me. ;) I'm just waiting on Amazon to get a few in.[/font]

you can get them readily from any large camera store online. they're available everywhere!

• 3 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No, not really. - I love the Monochrom way more. - My M8 cuts the cake for the bit of color demanded from me and as a semi backup for the Monochrom. Any next Leica should be really high ISO capable to tempt me. I'm hoping for ISO 100K in the 5th Monochrom or such. Most M8 pictures are taken with a 50mm, so I don't benefit from a FF replacement either.

• Like 1