Tempted by M-E ?

Etruscello

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I admit I put this very badly in my original post, but in fact companies position their products in this way all the time: disabling an output on a hi-fi system; not allowing leather seating in a specific car model, and so on.

true, however of the couple features removed on the M-E....neither of which were particularly useful or needed to most users.

It would be more akin to a new 'facelifted' car which had a smaller spoiler OR less chrome trim around the edges.....

I agree with you that the M-E has been met with a lukewarm reception, however being a fan of the M-E myself----i think this more due to snobbery then actual evaluation of the product. I also think that this has been spread by M9 owners who are angry they paid significantly more for the same camera! :)

Edited by iedei
  • Like 1

I bought one in early October and, 1000 frames later, it's even better to use than I thought it would be. I've had a (second hand) M8 for over two years and still think that's a great camera too. I have no regrets at trading in a year 2005 MP which just was no longer being used enough after I bought the M8. Definitely not traded in were my IIIg, which I bought new in 1959 and have always used regularly, and the M8. There's such a strong family resemblance between all of these cameras that I feel as if I've been using the digital ones forever.

As a newcomer here I've been reading through the various threads with great interest. I can only say that if my M8 dies tomorrow, which it shows no sign of doing, I've used it enough for me to have had my money's worth already. I slightly prefer both the colour scheme and the uncluttered body of the M-E to the M9 myself. I totally agree with the people in other threads who've commented on the good monochrome results possible both with and without a red filter in front of the M8 but haven't had time to see what I can do in that line with the M-E.

• Like 3

That´s quite a step: from an EXACTA to a digital LEICA, enjoy your splendid decision.

In case you are completely new to r/f-photography don´t give up too soon.

It needed about 50 films in the analog days to appreciate a LEICA, these days

you should allow for 2,000 to 5,000 shots to get on with the beast.

Happy New LEICA-YEAR !

Best

GEORG

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M-E is a nice addition to the range. The frame selection lever is nice when trying to imagine alternative framings, especially with lenses you don't own, but that's only 5% of the time. Rest of the time it's one more thing to get broken. The USB I'd miss but that's only because I've neglected to buy an up-to-date card reader.

When it comes to the prospect of replacing my M8, the M-E is right there with M9 and M9-P and whatnot: same thing, different jacket, don't care that much since I use my camera to take photos. I also welcome the cheaper price point of the M-E, which I feel helps push the M9 prices down while waiting for the new M.

Had I the financial choice, I'd go straight to MM or new M from my M8. Currently the M9/M9-P/M-E feels too little of an upgrade at too great of a price to let go of my M8.

Since we've been having some diffrences with the M8, it's looking more likely that I'll jump out of the Leica digital wagon completely (except D-Lux 3 but that's a collectible now) and fall back to other digital cameras and my M5. But if talking about the Leica options when upgrading: yes, the M-E is one of the more viable ones.

The M-E is a nice addition to the range. The frame selection lever is nice when trying to imagine alternative framings, especially with lenses you don't own, but that's only 5% of the time. Rest of the time it's one more thing to get broken. The USB I'd miss but that's only because I've neglected to buy an up-to-date card reader.

When it comes to the prospect of replacing my M8, the M-E is right there with M9 and M9-P and whatnot: same thing, different jacket, don't care that much since I use my camera to take photos. I also welcome the cheaper price point of the M-E, which I feel helps push the M9 prices down while waiting for the new M.

Had I the financial choice, I'd go straight to MM or new M from my M8. Currently the M9/M9-P/M-E feels too little of an upgrade at too great of a price to let go of my M8.

Since we've been having some diffrences with the M8, it's looking more likely that I'll jump out of the Leica digital wagon completely (except D-Lux 3 but that's a collectible now) and fall back to other digital cameras and my M5. But if talking about the Leica options when upgrading: yes, the M-E is one of the more viable ones.

if you have a M8 you might have some beautiful glass. I wouldnt give it up. I've got the M-E and no problems at all. after all leica did seem to get it right. didnt have any problems with firmware or stuff like that as far as I've come with my M-E

Caring about the design and beauty of an object doesn't mean not using it.

Of course, and I do love the way Leicas and many other things are made, how they feel as objects. That said, what is the shade of the grey is a very minimal detail. I said this especially since Leica seems to gather a fair share of collectors who spend their time caressing their cameras like a Bond villain caresses his cat. I'm more of "shut up and shoot" way of thought.

if you have a M8 you might have some beautiful glass. I wouldnt give it up. I've got the M-E and no problems at all. after all leica did seem to get it right. didnt have any problems with firmware or stuff like that as far as I've come with my M-E

I agree, that's one of the major points I need to consider. I absolutely adore my Zeiss 35/2 Biogon T*, that and the M8 have paid themselves back in getting me gigs. It would be a shame to let go of those lenses, but there aren't very many good alternatives to the M9/M-E in that respect. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just that the M9/M-E is currently too far from my reach.

Edited by designed

The M-E has nothing that interests me. The M? Now there is something which interests me. In the next week or so I'll be renting an MM to see how it compares to my M8.2 conversions. Most of the MM shots posted here have been less than impressive but I want to find out for myself. If the MM is not for me, then the M will have my attention.

Wow, I just noticed I hit the six year membership mark here. Certainly in the digital field of Leica cameras much has changed since I bought my first M8. Still miss my film M's, though. They were damn tough cameras.

Edited by Photoskeptic

.................. As far as I'm concerned, I'm yet to meet anyone who likes it, and I'm basing my views on that general fact - it seems that a lot of people are at the very least indifferent to the color and spec of the camera.

I genuinely think that Leica could quite easily have continued producing an all-black camera, and that such a product would have sold at a better rate than the M-Es that are sitting on shelves. Why they chose a color that isn't for everyone is up to others to decide, if they disagree with my speculative analysis.

Have you got any statistical information about sales of the M-E? I'd be genuinely interested by any accurate information that's public.

Why is the dark grey paint such an emotive feature? As far as I'm concerned (and I've got a couple of dozen cameras in the house of various makes and colours, all of which I try to use at least sometimes) my M-E is a pleasant, inconspicuous shade with a red dot that is easily covered up with tape when circumstances suggest that's a good idea.

As to the spec, I'm not sure I'll ever need the slightly better resolution that the M promises when it arrives or the M monochrome offers now. I'm still also using my M8 after all.

I think if I owned a recently bought M9 or M9P I'd be mildly irritated by the potential loss of second hand value but then I doubt I'd be wanting to sell it anyway.

• Like 3

I thank everyone for your detailed and enthusiastic responses to my simple query on being tempted by the M-E. Well, since I started this thread, my temptation turned to resolve. I have an M-E ! I have no regrets and much priase. I've had an M8 and M8.2. My fear that the M8 may be in need of expensive repair soon has caused me to sell it (with full honesty that it was being sold as is with price to reflect that). I'll keep the M8.2.

My hesitation about the M9 has been the red-edge issue. To my happy surprise, I experience no red edge with my wides, including 12, 18, 21 and 28); save one, the 15. It astounds me that I get the full 12mm scope from the CV 12mm f5.6 on the M-E, with no red edge and well controlled vignetting. I can't believe I have 12mm capacity in my system now -- the 12 performs beautufully on the M8.2 also, but on that camera it is the functional equivalent of 16mm "only". I had to change the coding on the 12 from WATE to 21mm f2.8 pre-ASPH to get the fine IQ. The M-E allows one to "test" different codes -- one great advantage over the M8. Changing the code on the CV 15 did not solve a moderate red edge problem. I'll keep the 15 for use on the M8.2 (as a 20mm equivalent) because it functions beautifully on that camera.

I am tempted by the new M, but now I have a FF RF while waiting. I took a deal that will give me back 85% of my purchase price of the M-E for a new M, if I keep it in mint condition. I think I will wind up keeping the M-E. It is the only RF I have that looks just as good with silver or black lenses, it gives consistently perfectly calibrated focus with fast lenses wide-open, and it is the first camera to give me a 12mm perspective on a FF !

Tom